Has Fantasy Football Ruined The Game?

Diane

Reaction score
I'm not a big football fan, but many of my friends are. There seems to be a debate among them that Fantasy Football leagues have ruined the game because people no longer root for their favorite team, but rather players they have chosen in their Fantasy Football leagues. Has the fantasy game become more important than the real game to the fans?

I think it makes the game more enjoyable since you can have interest in other teams/divisions. You also learn a lot about matchups, strengths/weaknesses, and other team-specific things like that.

In a word "no". Too much going on in the NFL games for the fantasy games to impact it. Fantasy football needs the NFL, the NFL does not need fantasy football. :clapp:

I don't know Diane It hasn't ruined the game for me I have a love for both But I love my favorite team more than the 3 fantasy football leagues THP is one that i'll participate in this year gives me something to do as golf is winding down, although I'm hoping to golf till the end of Oct into Nov this year.

I will start by staying I don't play fantasy football and probably never will. I enjoy watching a game and picking a team to root for in that game. I don't want to watch my favorite teams play and secretly hope that the wide reciever on the other team has a great game, just as long as they don't win. Plus, it would take up way too much of the time I don't have to begin with.

That being said, I don't think that fantasy football has runied the game. The players and coaches don't care who gets the stats or who is a higher rated running back for fantasy football. I think last year Brian Westbrook broke away at the end of the game and took a knee at the one instead of scoring. He knew the only miracle chance the Cowboys would have is if they got the ball back. By taking a knee, they run out the clock and the game is over. He obviously didn't care about his stats for fantasy owners.

I do think that the coverage of football is starting to get too fantasy oriented. Everything is about who had a great stat day or who didn't, what backup might have a good game, or who caused the most turnovers. Show me the games, show me the highlights, give me the game leaders for stats. I don't care if the backup tight end had 3 catches for 17 yards. If I want to know that I will get online and look at the boxscore.

I will start by staying I don't play fantasy football and probably never will. I enjoy watching a game and picking a team to root for in that game. I don't want to watch my favorite teams play and secretly hope that the wide reciever on the other team has a great game, just as long as they don't win. Plus, it would take up way too much of the time I don't have to begin with.

That being said, I don't think that fantasy football has runied the game. The players and coaches don't care who gets the stats or who is a higher rated running back for fantasy football. I think last year Brian Westbrook broke away at the end of the game and took a knee at the one instead of scoring. He knew the only miracle chance the Cowboys would have is if they got the ball back. By taking a knee, they run out the clock and the game is over. He obviously didn't care about his stats for fantasy owners.

I do think that the coverage of football is starting to get too fantasy oriented. Everything is about who had a great stat day or who didn't, what backup might have a good game, or who caused the most turnovers. Show me the games, show me the highlights, give me the game leaders for stats. I don't care if the backup tight end had 3 catches for 17 yards. If I want to know that I will get online and look at the boxscore.

Well thought out post, I feel the same way about fantasy football.

Back