2009 PGA Championship [spoilers]

Great win for Yang. He kept his cool and got the job done while Tiger fell apart.

I don't know if Tiger fell apart as much as he just never got anything going to begin with. He just seemed "off" today and yesterday too. I'm not taking anything away from Yang, but Tiger really wasn't Tiger out there today. At least not the "Final-round-in-a-major-Tiger" that we've all come to know.

I'll say this though: It kept everyone on the edge of their seats all day and if a final round can do that, then it was a great final round.

Hats off to Yang, he deserves it!

-JP

Congrats to Yang :banana: - he hung tough and made the shots when he had to. His hybrid into 18 ranks right up there with some of the best clutch shots on the final hole of a major.

Tiger wasn't "Tigeresque" today. I've never seen him miss so many critical putts - I think he had 33 putts today. He looked "off," and maybe a bit surprised that Yang didn't fold! No excuses though - he just didn't make the shots that he had to and Yang did. He had openings on #s 16 and 17 but didn't take advantage.

I wonder if this will motivate him even more than he already is - if that is possible. We may see an even more "hungry" Tiger next year at the Majors.

I actually watched quite a bit of this tournament today:clapp:. Yang said he had nothing to lose, and that he was going to go for it. Glad to see him win, and not get steam rolled by the Great One.

I don't know if Tiger fell apart as much as he just never got anything going to begin with. He just seemed "off" today and yesterday too. I'm not taking anything away from Yang, but Tiger really wasn't Tiger out there today. At least not the "Final-round-in-a-major-Tiger" that we've all come to know.

I'll say this though: It kept everyone on the edge of their seats all day and if a final round can do that, then it was a great final round.

Hats off to Yang, he deserves it!

-JP
Tiger missed greens, missed short putts and dropped 5 strokes, Id say he fell apart.
Tiger held the lead pretty well on the front 9, but he just fell apart on the back 9.

Tiger missed greens, missed short putts and dropped 5 strokes, Id say he fell apart.
Tiger held the lead pretty well on the front 9, but he just fell apart on the back 9.

He obviously fell apart - no argument there.

But I just think that ever since he came back from his layoff, he hasn't quite been the same. Yes, he's won many times, but in the majors he's either trying too hard or just making things more complicated than they need to be.

Yang, on the other hand, played very much like Tiger usually does. He didn't second or third guess himself, he just decided on a shot and he went for it all out and he ended up looking more like Tiger than Tiger - especially the last two strokes on 18 which were a combination of "in your face" and "brilliant".

I'd like to say that Yang played that way because he had nothing to lose (and I know he said as much afterward) but I think he played more like he just knew he'd win and he chose to play the shots that were needed rather than to err more towards caution as Tiger seemed to do all day.

I still don't think that Yang beat Tiger at his best, but he beat him nonetheless and it was with authority and he deserves every bit of it!

In other words Tiger didn't lose because he wasn't Tiger - he got beat because he wasn't better.

-JP

He obviously fell apart - no argument there.

But I just think that ever since he came back from his layoff, he hasn't quite been the same. Yes, he's won many times, but in the majors he's either trying too hard or just making things more complicated than they need to be.

Yang, on the other hand, played very much like Tiger usually does. He didn't second or third guess himself, he just decided on a shot and he went for it all out and he ended up looking more like Tiger than Tiger - especially the last two strokes on 18 which were a combination of "in your face" and "brilliant".

I'd like to say that Yang played that way because he had nothing to lose (and I know he said as much afterward) but I think he played more like he just knew he'd win and he chose to play the shots that were needed rather than to err more towards caution as Tiger seemed to do all day.

I still don't think that Yang beat Tiger at his best, but he beat him nonetheless and it was with authority and he deserves every bit of it!

In other words Tiger didn't lose because he wasn't Tiger - he got beat because he wasn't better.

-JP
Id agree with you on that. Tiger hasnt been quite the same since his injury last year. He is inching closer and closer to being the Tiger of old. His irons still arent as accurate as they used to be and he is missing putts that used to always drop.
Yang could have easily locked up the win on 17 if he had sank that putt. Bottom line, it was Yang's day. Tiger brought the best he had today, but he didnt quite bring enough...

Spoiler
Hoe.

Spoiler
Lee.

Spoiler
Yang.
Not only does it break Tiger's streak for wins after leading through 54 holes, but it is the first time I can remember someone putting pressure on Tiger, instead of the other way around. Yang didn't even flinch in front of the man that usually causes his competitors to crumble.

Yang looked like Tiger, and Tiger looked like everyone else. Every time Yang gave Tiger an opening, Tiger couldn't convert. And no clutch putting for Tiger. He burned the lip hole after hole after hole.​

What a finish! And what a second into 18 from Yang!!!

It was a little weird in the presentation ceremony to har everybody referring to Yang as "Y E", in stead of his actual name.

On another note, Rory McIlroy: Double bogeyd the first, and left several other shots out on the course, still finishes at -3, and T3 finish in a major.

I think I am more suprised at Paddy becoming Mr. Snowman than anything else. Back to back weeks he put up an 8 on the score card.

Top 10 Tiger Excuses

Top 10 Tiger Excuses

[YOUTUBE]gx015QD15rw[/YOUTUBE]

Back