Diane

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend who was a teenager in the late 60s. I'm jealous because he got to see a lot of bands/artists in small venues. By the time I was old enough to go to concerts - they were playing arenas. My first concert was the Grateful Dead. The best show I ever saw was the Nirvana Unplugged taping for MTV. What was your first show and your favorite?

(Sorry Craig if I'm starting a new version of an old thread.)

I saw Nirvana at the Forum, they were decent. The best show would be a toss up between the Ramones at the Palladium or Iron Maiden at the Forum. I have been to so many shows I cant pick one.

Don't worry Diane, I'll merge it if need be :D

First show was A Flock Of Seagulls and The Fixx at Busch Gardens around 1983.

Best show... too many to choose from: Quicksand at a dive bar, any Clutch show, any Pearl Jam show, any G. Love and Special Sauce show, and Bruce Hornsby and Ricky Skaggs stand out the most.

I think my 1st concert was Harry Chapin in the fall of 1980, he was killed in an auto accident 6-7 months later.

I think my 1st concert was Harry Chapin in the fall of 1980, he was killed in an auto accident 6-7 months later.

I saw Harry Chapin that same year.

My first concert was when I was 17, Metallica at The Arena in St. Louis. It was in November of 91, a few months after the Black Album came out. Probably the best also. No opening act, just Metallica for 3+ hours. Other than that, I have seen them 3 other times, Ozzy twice, and The Black Crows once. Numerous others at bars/clubs over the years, but no one special.

I used to work at a country bar when I was in college and there were several big acts that the bar had before they were big. The only real big one I remember was the Dixie Chicks. I didn't really care for country music, but the concert nights we would make a ton of money so I always wanted to work them.

One of the best concerts I have ever been to was at House of Blues in Chicago. Small venue & we saw George Thorgood & the Destroyers.

He rocked for a solid 3 hrs & there is no seating in the place, SRO.

1st concert was Elvis in October of 1973. Not suggesting he was medicated but he goofed up Hound Dog and re-did it. Best concert was Warren Zevon in a club during his drinking days.

Way to go Dyna.

Best show... too many to choose from: Quicksand at a dive bar,.

Was Quicksand the band that turned into Helmet or the guys from Guerilla Bisquits? I always get the two confused.

My first concert was the Beatles, when they appeared at the convention center in Las Vegas in 1964. A couple of weeks ago we saw Aerosmith, and ZZ Top in concert, together. One of my top 5 concerts I ever saw was Emerson Lake, and Palmer. As for the best it has to be the Eagles hands down.

1st concert ever was Phil Collins (No Jacket Required Tour) at the Worcester Centrum...best concert I've ever been to: U2 at the (old) Boston Garden, front row center (literally), on St. Patrick's Day 1992...looking forward to their show at Gillette Stadium in Sept.

I don't remember my first concert...

I went to the first 3 Lollapalooza's,

Saw Doc Severinsen, Maynard Ferguson (got to meet), Dr John (got to meet) and several other jazz acts at Caravan Of Dreams (a very small venue in Fort Woth, no longer around) A man in my old Boy Scout troop tuned the piano for the club, and he'd take me up there to meet some of these guys. I also saw Bugs Henderson there, and got to meet him. I went to see Bugs with a man that I rode bikes with, he grew up down the street from the Vaughan brothers in Oak Cliff (yeah, those Vaughan brothers!) They all played in garage bands together back in high school.

I've seen Jimmy Buffett probably a dozen times or so, I took my wife to her first concert which was at Texas Stadium and it was Buffett, Alan Jackson and George Strait (that's a tough one to top)

I saw The Toadies and The Nixons together at Club Dada in Deep Ellum back in 92 or 93 for a $2 cover charge. I saw Sugar Ray there a year or so later, back when they were badass and loud, and not a bunch of sissies.

I've seen George Strait 3 times I think.

I saw the Reverend Horton Heat for the first time on my 18th birthday at Trees (in Deep Ellum) he was dressed up like Elvis, handing out jelly donuts to the folks in the crowd. I've seen him probably 15 times since.

I met Brian Setzer at a little dive bar in Dallas, he was friends with the owner, and did an acoustic set. I had a beer with him.

My first big time concert was Yes at the Nassau Coliseum back around '77 or so.

But my favorite concerts these days are The Allman Brothers at the Beacon (best) and at Jones Beach Theater (second best).

The Beacon rocks!

-JP

my first real concert was metallica on the justice tour in 1989. The Cult opened. It was on a high school football field. Definitely one of my best concert memories. I have literally seen 100's of other shows since then.

Diane...what Dead show was your first? I saw over 50 shows before Jerry left...

Never been to a concert in my life yet.

Funny you should mention it. ACDC just finished playing in my town about 2 hours ago.

Honestly can't remember which came first: U2, Van Halen, Billy Idol, Night Ranger, or The Cars.

The big stadium shows never really impressed me, so the one that comes to mind as the best was Crowded House playing somewhere in Deep Ellum (i.e., small venue) because the band really seemed to be having fun. It didn't seem like a prefab setup with planned enthusiasm.

Also saw The Smithereens in a tiny bar at a word-of-mouth gig (I think the band must have been in town for a big corporate gig and decided to play a bar just for fun.) It was probably 105* in that place, but they didn't complain once, and they jammed.

The New Bohemians gigs were always a good time. Every single member of the band was super nice, and they would hang out before and after the shows. Edie Brickell in particular could not have been sweeter. She found out I had paid the cover once to get into a show and she gave me her phone number so I could call her to get on the guest list. They had just released their first album and I was too scared to ever use it. (Confession: I called once and hung up to make sure it was really her number. It was. Sorry Edie.)

Harry Connick Jr. puts on a good show (or at least he did a million years ago when I saw him.) Surprisingly funny.

I know I am going to get some lip for this but my first concert was Shania Twain was I was about 13. I really don't care for country music but my best friend loved her and I found her songs to be kind of catchy so I went.

The next concert I went to was a Limp Bizkit concert withSystem of A Down and Methodman Redman. Ha I am all over the place with my music. The best concert I ever went to was Elton John and Billy Joel when they toured together.

My 1st was Kiss at the Providence CC in 75/76 - my all time fav's would be any U2 show, The Stones, Clapton and Van Halen.

Was Quicksand the band that turned into Helmet or the guys from Guerilla Bisquits? I always get the two confused.

Quicksand's singer was the bass player/songwriter from Gorilla Biscuits. That Quicksand show was awesome because it was before they released anything and they were touring college towns. We saw them at VA Tech and they put on a great show and hung out and partied all night. Just some regular guys who played in a band.

oh ok...I was asking where was your first dead show

Back