2009 Barclays - Fedex Beginning

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Woods is committed and the field should be loaded. Let the playoffs begin.

I read somewhere that Phil and Tiger have both said they "hoped" to play all 4 events. If nothing else at least we should get some good fields over the next 4 events. I'll be tuned in!

My brother-in-law called yesterday and said he had a few "corporate" tickets for Friday, and would I want to go! The weather is supposed to be cool - in the high 70's or low 80's. Can't wait! :banana:

Congrats GenErr, I hope you have a great time!

I'm going on Saturday. Cross your fingers it doesn't rain.

I was watching something on Golf Channel last night regarding the top ten things to watch in the Barclays. Number one was the course, Liberty National. I really wasn’t too familiar with the course, especially since it appears to be only three years old, but those views of the Stature of Liberty and the NY skyline make me want to play that course badly. I know it’s private but has anyone on the forum had the pleasure of playing it?

Liberty National Golf Club

Anyone else watching the Live@ coverage from the Barclays? I love Live@!!! :banana:

Yep, go to pgatour.com and click the Live@ link. It's only coverage of the 324 yd par 4 16th hole, but still pretty cool.

That's better than nothing, thanks P4B!!

just be prepared to explainyourself when your IT dept asks you why there is a sudden spike in your bandwidth use :act-up:

just be prepared to explainyourself when your IT dept asks you why there is a sudden spike in your bandwidth use :act-up:

LOL! Luckily I work in an industry where I bring my own computer and no one monitors what I do, and hopefully soon I will be working from home!

I am the IT dept.....easy to explain the bandwidth in that case! I'm doing some rigorous testing here people!

29747668.JPG

29747725.JPG

I prefer more traditional looking clubhouses.

TPC_High-760x398.jpg

Newcastle4.jpg

I was absolutely blown away by the shots from the blimp yesterday. Liberty National HAS to be one of the most scenic and interesting venues in golf. WOW!!!

Is it just me? I am not that impressed with the look of the course. The fairways and greens look fine but many of the shrubs and trees around look like they were just planted last week. It also looks real tight, almost claustrophobic. I'm not saying I wouldn't like playing it, in fact I'm going to a charity golf event where a 3 some at Liberty National could be won so I might have a chance. I'm just saying $500k initiation is a lot of money for what I'm seeing.

Is it just me? I am not that impressed with the look of the course. The fairways and greens look fine but many of the shrubs and trees around look like they were just planted last week. It also looks real tight, almost claustrophobic. I'm not saying I wouldn't like playing it, in fact I'm going to a charity golf event where a 3 some at Liberty National could be won so I might have a chance. I'm just saying $500k initiation is a lot of money for what I'm seeing.

it's typical N. Jersey. Most of the trees up there are native pines so a lot of the trees you see are transplants which don't grow as well. Prob due to the radioactive soil. I could think of a lot of other course to belong to for a $500k initiation fee

Don't forget a lot of the Wall Street guys (the ones who still have money) belong to several clubs. This one would be the most convenient for them. It's closer to Manhattan than Winged Foot, Shinnecok Hills, Maidstone, etc.

Went today (Friday) with my brother in law. We followed Mickelson from #18 (his 9th hole) thru #4 until the rain began to fallagain. We spent the next two hours watching from above the 18th green.

The course is only ~3 years old I think. Many of the trees and shrubs are newly planted.

If you're not on the fairway, you're in deep doo doo (pardon the technical jargon).LOL We observed more bogeys on #18 than pars, and saw only two birdies - one a long putt by Mickelson.

I heard someone say that members have to post a $500K bond to join. I'm not sure if that is true, but it wouldn't surprise me being how close the course is to New York and Wall Street.

There is definitely something wrong with me. I'm up at 5am on a Saturday because we're going to the Barclays early to make sure we see everything - in the rain.

Delayed start - we're not leaving for a couple of hours. They're going off in 3-somes today.

From what I can see, claustrophobic is a good word for this course. I like the holes themselves, but they seem somewhat out of place. By that I mean that they seem to be the type of holes that you'd see on a links course, but they seem to be all crammed together like a muni on limited real estate. The views from some of the tees seem odd as well, like the tee at fifteen (I think?) where there seems to be several paths and walking bridges all jammed together. Feherty said that it looked like the entrance to a zoo exhibit (or something like that) - very disorganized.

The whole course has a "forced" look to it and it seems more like a theme park than a golf course. I think that the idea was more about having a PGA Tour venue there because of the views of the statue and the skyline and less about whether the course actually "fit" or was even a good place to have a course at all.

Maybe it's different in person, but usually a course either looks good or not regardless of where or how one sees it and this one just looks - "odd".

-JP

I had a great day - we got a bit lost even with a GPS and ended up in Newark and I somehow managed to lose one of our tickets between home and the course, but they believed me at the gate and let us in with one ticket. We spent most of the day on the 8th green - it's a long par 5 that very few people were able to birdie including Tiger. It was also Phil's blow-up hole.

As far as the course goes - it is different than many other courses I've seen, but it doesn't seem as jammed together in person. It does seem a bit park-like though. The views from the 14th are amazing - the Statue of Liberty is so close. My only major complaint is that it definitely has that New Jersey smell - a combination of low tide and sludge.

How in the world did you loose your ticket? If the smell was to strong then that would be a distraction to me.

Back