Banning Tour Caddies

Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
Wouldn't it be interesting to watch PGA tour players using carts instead of caddies? No more lengthy collaberations. Let the players hold their own umbrellas, get their own club from the bag, replace their own divots.....

BUT THE BEST PART OF ALL.....IMO IT WOULD SPEED UP PLAY DRAMATICALLY EVEN WITH THE PLAYERS REPLACING THEIR OWN DIVOTS AND RETRIEVING THEIR OWN CLUBS.

Give the thought a chance.....what do you think? (It might also force players to be more communicative with one another......create some camaraderie and bring some players back down to earth?)

Wouldn't it be interesting to watch PGA tour players using carts instead of caddies? No more lengthy collaberations. Let the players hold their own umbrellas, get their own club from the bag, replace their own divots.....

BUT THE BEST PART OF ALL.....IMO IT WOULD SPEED UP PLAY DRAMATICALLY EVEN WITH THE PLAYERS REPLACING THEIR OWN DIVOTS AND RETRIEVING THEIR OWN CLUBS.

Give the thought a chance.....what do you think? (It might also force players to be more communicative with one another......create some camaraderie and bring some players back down to earth?)

or let them walk around with a skycaddie instead

or let them walk around with a skycaddie instead

Great idea. Would eliminate all the time the caddy and players spend gazing at the yardage book. But I'd still like to see them do without a caddy. But, by all means, get rid of the caddies and give em skycaddies. They'd fly around the course.

Caddies are a big part of the game. They are also part of the history of the game. Can't do away with the caddy. Using carts would breed even more laziness among some of the pros. They would speed up the game some what. Just let the caddy do the driving. To provide more revenue, they could plaster sponsors' stickers all over them much like NASCAR does. :banana:

I personally am a fan of the caddie concept. It has a deep rooted tradition in the game and I actually enjoy hearing some of the conversations between the player and his caddie. Especially when they have a great relationship and you can tell the caddie has the freedom to be honest and tell it how he sees it. It provides an insight into the game that you wouldn’t necessarily get.

Regarding pace of play I really don’t have an issue with this either. There are plenty of players on the course until the very end so there are plenty of players and shots to cover.

Caddies are a big part of the game. They are also part of the history of the game. Can't do away with the caddy. Using carts would breed even more laziness among some of the pros. They would speed up the game some what. Just let the caddy do the driving. To provide more revenue, they could plaster sponsors' stickers all over them much like NASCAR does. :banana:

Hmmmmm.......think of some of the customized carts that would show up on tour.

Spoiler
golfcart_01.jpg

Spoiler
3e597d1c5a388454866c8a8f3b13a585.jpg

Spoiler
segwaygolf.jpg

Spoiler
IMG_4073.JPG

Spoiler
michaelcart.jpg

It would be interesting to see some of these players hoof it and carry their clubs along. I don't like the removal of caddies with the addition of carts. Pull carts maybe but not riding carts.

It would get rid of some of the caddies that think their stuff don't stink just because he's carrying the bag for the #1 player in the world..err I mean carrying the bag for a good player.

I like the caddies - I agree that it's part of the tradition for the pros.

One of the women I play with plays in some of the CT women's amateur events and she has said some of the women don't make a move without their caddies (usually fathers or husbands) telling them what to do. I don't follow amateur golf so I don't know if they use caddies for all events, but think perhaps they should do away with caddies in their tournaments.

If you made all the touring pros carry their own bags, about half of them would not make it through all 4 or 5 days of competition. Some would be looking forward to being cut.:banana:

I like the caddies - I agree that it's part of the tradition for the pros.

One of the women I play with plays in some of the CT women's amateur events and she has said some of the women don't make a move without their caddies (usually fathers or husbands) telling them what to do. I don't follow amateur golf so I don't know if they use caddies for all events, but think perhaps they should do away with caddies in their tournaments.

It's up to the player if they want to use a caddy or not. I've played in a few amateur events and usually have a friend caddy. It helps my nerves when I have someone I'm comfortable with to talk to during the round. The ones who can't do anything without their caddy probably aren't doing very well in the tournament.

I would like to see the caddies disappear, especially on the LPGA tour since it seems like almost none of the ladies can read their own putt.

No caddies on tour, I've never even thought about it. After thinking about it, I say keep the caddies. It is part of the tradition of golf, what would be gained by losing them? I couldn't care less about the pace of play at a professional, I like the interaction between the caddy and the player. I also don't care if the players are talking to each other, they are competing for millions of dollars every week, they aren't out there to make friends they are there to make a living and win trophies.

Id like to see the tour do away with caddies and make the players carry their own clubs.

Why do you say that?

I know you didn't direct this question to me, but I'd like to respond. I'm not necessarily in favor of having them CARRY their own bags, but rather to use a cart without a caddy but give them a skycaddy in the bargain. It just seems to me that the PGA tour players are too pampered and used to being catered to. Would be nice to see them go out there and use their own resources (including replacing divots, dealing with the rain, and driving their own carts). IMO it would make play a little grittier and more like their amateur days where they did exactly what I'm talking about. In short, I think the PGA tour is too "cushy."

Johneli - Help me to understand what you think you as a viewer will gain by watching a pro have to replace their own divot, etc.? How will that change the game to make it more enjoyable for you?

Johneli - Help me to understand what you think you as a viewer will gain by watching a pro have to replace their own divot, etc.? How will that change the game to make it more enjoyable for you?

Not a problem. PGA tour golf is too soft for the players. Caddys do everything for them. Raingear, distances, divots, drinks, energy bars, conversation etc. FOR A CHANGE I'd like to see the tour players playing without all that support. IMO it would make the competition seem more like one on one. It would make the players deal with more distractions and still have to perform. (Just like the ordinary player.) IMO it would make things a little more "real." I used the term "grittier" and I'll stand by that term in describing why I would like to see some of the "gingerbread" trimmed.

Benefits: dramatically speedier play. more animated conversation between players. and a sense of "gee, these guys play under the same conditions as I do, yet they can still go out and shoot 65"

I know you didn't direct this question to me, but I'd like to respond. I'm not necessarily in favor of having them CARRY their own bags, but rather to use a cart without a caddy but give them a skycaddy in the bargain. It just seems to me that the PGA tour players are too pampered and used to being catered to. Would be nice to see them go out there and use their own resources (including replacing divots, dealing with the rain, and driving their own carts). IMO it would make play a little grittier and more like their amateur days where they did exactly what I'm talking about. In short, I think the PGA tour is too "cushy."

Are you talking 1 cart per twosome? Or does everyone get their own cart? Most of the time don't they play modified ready golf? If Tiger and Phil are playing together and their balls are in a close area Tiger will play his shot and Phil will be looking over his shot. Now we'd be waiting on Tiger to hit his shot, then Phil wait for Tiger to get in the cart and go to his ball. Sounds like a 6 hour round to me. And what about on Thursday and Friday when there are 100+ players and they are playing in 3's?

Are you talking 1 cart per twosome? Or does everyone get their own cart? Most of the time don't they play modified ready golf? If Tiger and Phil are playing together and their balls are in a close area Tiger will play his shot and Phil will be looking over his shot. Now we'd be waiting on Tiger to hit his shot, then Phil wait for Tiger to get in the cart and go to his ball. Sounds like a 6 hour round to me. And what about on Thursday and Friday when there are 100+ players and they are playing in 3's?

Each get their own cart. Imagine the customized carts that would show up to make it even more interesting.

I think caddies are integral to the professional game. It would be interesting to see them play without them, but not out of a cart. I believe walking is a part of the game that needs to be preserved. The cart has given us lots of courses so spread out that you cannot even walk if you want to. I hate carts even though I have to ride in them at more courses all the time. Seeing tour players in them is just going to make it worse.

Each get their own cart. Imagine the customized carts that would show up to make it even more interesting.

The customized carts would be cool but I don't ever see it happening.

C'mon now, with out caddies who would the players blame for misread putts?:bulgy-eyes:

Back