Callaway X Hot & X Hot Pro Irons Preview

I Spent an 1.5hrs on a fitting session, looking at mizuno mp64s or jpx 825 pro.
I also ended up giving the XhotPro a hit.
First I fell in love with PXI shaft and tried the mp64 and XhotPro with the PXI. I didn't like JPX 825 pro and it fallout the running early, more on look and feel. Not bad performance.
I currently play the 710 AP2 with s300 shaft. The PXI shaft was outstanding, I didn't think a shaft could make that much difference!
The 6 iron XHP is that same loft as my 5 iron and was hitting a little over the distance i normally get with my 5, being around the 175m (190yrds). I was on flightscope for the session and the interesting stats was the WHP being the same loft as my 5 iron was launching at the same angle as my AP2 6 iron, but with 15 extra metres!!
I was put off by the cranked lofts of these clubs but the launch angle changed my mind.
As mentioned in this thread the club is great looking and a beautiful balance with PXI shaft. It seriously inspires confidence and I felt I could go after it I needed to with minimal loss of accuracy. Such a great feeling club especially considering it is cast!
I was waiting to test the rocketbladez tout iron before making my final decision, though it would have to be super special to pip out the XHP.
Any experiences on the comparison with rocketbladez tour would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So I got a chance to hit these yesterday. They was ok. I think my issue was that the shaft just wasn't right for me, the demo 6 iron that DSG had was a PXi 95 6.0. It felt very light, i felt like the head was playing catch up the entire down swing and I just didn't like the feel of the shaft. I still haven't found a PX shaft that I like yet. The club felt good, but it wasn't any longer than my current gamers. With the correct shaft I think it could have been, but I think there was promise there though..

So I got a chance to hit these yesterday. They was ok. I think my issue was that the shaft just wasn't right for me, the demo 6 iron that DSG had was a PXi 95 6.0. It felt very light, i felt like the head was playing catch up the entire down swing and I just didn't like the feel of the shaft. I still haven't found a PX shaft that I like yet. The club felt good, but it wasn't any longer than my current gamers. With the correct shaft I think it could have been, but I think there was promise there though..
You should try it with the KBS, or at least something heavier. It's night and day.

You should try it with the KBS, or at least something heavier. It's night and day.

Yeah I'm going to try to at some point..I need something for sure in a higher flex and heavier weight.

These irons with the Project X Flighted 95 shafts, are my all time favorite irons. Absolutely LOVE em! :love::guitar::in-love::kissing:

I found it surprisingly opposite. I have kbs in my current gamers, and the px 6.0 felt like butter, and I'm switching to them.

Dan

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

These irons with the Project X Flighted 95 shafts, are my all time favorite irons. Absolutely LOVE em! :love::guitar::in-love::kissing:

I think mine will arrive tomorrow...I'm excited.

My custom XHot Pro's just came in today! Yes I'm excited. Too bad there's still damn snow on the ground. I guess off to the indoor range tomorrow.

My custom XHot Pro's just came in today! Yes I'm excited. Too bad there's still damn snow on the ground. I guess off to the indoor range tomorrow.

Ship them to me, I'll let you know how they work.

I think mine will arrive tomorrow...I'm excited.

You boys are gonna be slobbering over these juicy tools like a fat coon hound on a T-Bone steak :hungry::pig::drool:

This just in: I love my irons!

I counter balanced my 6i and my consistency increased. Love it! Foresight tells me I gained about 10yards carry from my old set, if you can believe it. I just need the snow to melt!!!! MEEELLLLLTTTTTTT!!

I counter balanced my 6i and my consistency increased. Love it! Foresight tells me I gained about 10yards carry from my old set, if you can believe it. I just need the snow to melt!!!! MEEELLLLLTTTTTTT!!

I hit mine well today and just keep falling more in love with those suckers :in-love::kiss::love::thumb:

Mine delivered today, for the second time. This time the shafts were correct. Will be next week before I can get them out and they are taunting me already. Don't tell the wife, I may sleep with one beside me tonight.

Mine arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to play them on Sunday!

I finally got my new Hot X Pros on Friday and played 18 today. I recorded my best score of the year so far - shot an 87 and was hitting greens like crazy with my irons. I'm in love with these things...

I was at the local GG today and the Callaway section of the wall was barren. Lots of empty racks. Was the only OEM in that state. The mgr said they haven't been able to keep the new Cally lines in stock.

I was at the local GG today and the Callaway section of the wall was barren. Lots of empty racks. Was the only OEM in that state. The mgr said they haven't been able to keep the new Cally lines in stock.

I noticed that myself at an Edwin Watts last weekend. Looked like they had even sold their display set of X Hot Pros.

I wonder if Callaway underestimated the demand for those as they were back ordered on their website as well.

Either way, quite a nice start to themes Callaway there.

Thought that I would post an update. Ordered the xhot pros 4-pw 2 degrees upright. Really nice irons with the project x 6.0 shafts, hit them the best by far.

Really wanted the Pings but ultimately, didn't hit them as consistently as the xhots. Ordered the irons with the new golf pride z grips and I am really looking forward to getting them out on the course.

Congrats to Callaway on the wonderful irons!

When you counter balanced, did the feel of the club head change for you?

I ended up buying the XHP today. I went in to buy the X Forged but I he PXi shaft and dont agree. The guy fitting me suggested the XHP due to forgiveness and lightef shaft. XHP is definitely more forgiving than the XF. The one hangup for me with the XHP is the lighter shaft compared to tje DGS300 I've been playing for 13yrs. When the fitter was talking to me, first thing that popped in my head was to counter balance. The lighter shaft was making me take the club away too fast. I had to remember to slow it down and it too a lot of effort to slow down. I figured with more weight at the grip, I would get the heavier feeling and it would slow me down.

I'm not sure if I'm feeling buyer remorse or nervous, excited buying the XHP. I hate changing irons and I like to stick with what works.

Right now going through my head aew toi things
1) I might regret going with the lighter shaft but when I focused on a smoother swing, the results were spot on
2) how will the 9, PW? I worry the sole might be too thick but I was assured that these clubs should be no different. I'm use to picking the ball and not sweep and worry the club might be bouncing.

In case you can't see my signature, I've been playing Cleveland TA3 Form Forged the past 3yrs. I was looking for more forgiveness 5-7i but wanted to keep the player's club profile with the scoring irons. I really didn't achieve that goal but the XHP are definitely longer and forgiving than my TA3 which should help my game. Especially with the 2 little ones, I dont get to practice like I use to.

Sorry for my thoughts be all over the place but will write a better review when I get them in. I ended up ordering 5-pw since I never use a 3, 4 anymore. I also ended up not going witb stock grip. The PGA fitter said he can have Callaway not install the grip. Since PGA sells the same Callaway, I can swap and pick the grips I want and only pay the difference. Otherwise, I would have to $8/club for rhe grips I wanted. Only cost me $3 total to "upgrade". Which was why I was asking about the counter balance. Before PGA installs the new grips, I can have them counter balance if you guys think its a good idea.

Thanks for listening to my rambling and for your input.

***aka AtChad***

Hey threshold,

PX has a lower balance point, and coupled with the lighter shaft it's going to feel slightly end weighted. I've commented on this before and didn't care for it. People who play the stock PX setup say you need to slow your tempo for the best results. Your best bet would be to counter balance, if you want to move the weight up slightly to feel more like your S300. Mind you that the S300 is a lot heavier in nature, so you'll have to add some lead tape to your clubhead as well, and counter balance that for the overall feel/weight of the S300. This could be tricky and take some time and math to get right. May want to talk to that fitter and see his thoughts. Q: Why didn't you change the stock shaft? There should have been no upcharge to get the DG, KBS Tour, or Nippon options.

I don't think the soles are thick. I was comparing the shape to my other gamers, Adams Pro Golds, and they're very close in comparison. Heel to toe relatively the same, XHP may have a slightly larger sole and top line. Nothing drastic that would scare me away. I think you'll be impressed with the performance.

I asked about KBS Tours and the fitter thought I shouldnt go back to a heavy shaft. Plus, I didnt do my homework on XHP. If I would have know no charge of KBS and Nippon, I would have seen what he could do to have me try them out. The issue PGA SS I went to is that their Callaway cart is not equipped with XHP and XF. He had to grab an iron off the rack with the correct flex for both irons. I do like the results I was seeing with XHP when I slowed down and smoothed out my swing. The order is not being placed until tomorrow. I can give him a call and geg his opinion.

I do trust the fitter. This is just new territory for me since I have hit a new set of irons in 13yrs. XHP does have the things I was looking for in my next set. The fitter said I would go through a minor adjustment period. Another thing I should mention my swing was off. Javent swung a club in 2wks. Even with my own irons I was spraying similar to XF but XHP only deviated not by much.

Thanks again for the input. Keep them coming since I have until tomorrow morning before they place the order.

Would you guys have gone with the stock or insisted on a different shaft or maybe a different iron set?

***aka AtChad***

I pulled the trigger today on the XHP with PXI 6.0 shaft +0.25.
I did give the Xforged a good hit at a demo day and there is no doubt that it is a great looking and feeling club, however I am going from AP2 710s and want to get a bit more forgiveness in a similar looking head.
I found my session with the XHP gave me great distance as you expect with the cranked lofts but it is the fact that I am getting the same launch angle as my current clubs that is exciting.
Not all shots are from the fairway and I feel the XHPs gives me the best of both worlds. In combination with the PXI shaft I feel I have a iron I can play normally or really go after, if needed, with confidence.
I am getting 4-PW and will then organise my wedges once I know how far the PW goes. I suspect it will be something like 50* , 54* bent to 55 and 60*.
I will keep you posted, thanks to all in the thread it has been very informative. I was tossing up on the TM RBLZ Tour but the looks and feel of the XHP won out plus I am a bit over the TM hype and they don't offer a PXI option.

I asked about KBS Tours and the fitter thought I shouldnt go back to a heavy shaft. Plus, I didnt do my homework on XHP. If I would have know no charge of KBS and Nippon, I would have seen what he could do to have me try them out. The issue PGA SS I went to is that their Callaway cart is not equipped with XHP and XF. He had to grab an iron off the rack with the correct flex for both irons. I do like the results I was seeing with XHP when I slowed down and smoothed out my swing. The order is not being placed until tomorrow. I can give him a call and geg his opinion.

I do trust the fitter. This is just new territory for me since I have hit a new set of irons in 13yrs. XHP does have the things I was looking for in my next set. The fitter said I would go through a minor adjustment period. Another thing I should mention my swing was off. Javent swung a club in 2wks. Even with my own irons I was spraying similar to XF but XHP only deviated not by much.

Thanks again for the input. Keep them coming since I have until tomorrow morning before they place the order.

Would you guys have gone with the stock or insisted on a different shaft or maybe a different iron set?

***aka AtChad***

I don't want to step on toes here, but for free you get my best thoughts ha ha . I hit both, liked both. If you have not done so, fitter be damned I WOULD take a very close look at the non pro x hot with the nippon shaft. It is absolutely killer long and the non pro head has a pleasing enough look to it. You still play and like a ping eye two 5 iron so my friendly suggestion is give the non pro x hot/ nippon a serious chance before jumping in. For me and I was swinging well the non pro was the clear winner

As much as I LIKED THAT SET UP in a moment of strength (for a change) I concluded that I am not running FROM my original ping raptures.

Had to edit this, did not realize you already pulled the trigger. Enjoy what you have, don't let all the what if this or that chatter or concerns affect your decision. You have a good setup and concerns about minor shaft weight differences in my view are nothing more than a pointless distraction, but that's me. Still get that for free, thinking you will like what you got and would trash counter balance dilemma

Last edited:
Thanks uman for the reassurance anout the shaft weight and forgetting the idea of counter balance. As I mentioned before, buying new irons is something I have not done in a LONG time amd just want to make sure I get it right. I asked for something different than my current setup to help my game and I did get that. Just have to trust it now.

I think part of the problem during the fitting, I was super excited and was not swinging the way I normally would. Adrenaline + first time using lighter shaft = jerky take away :D

BTW, the ping eye 2 5i is only in the bag due to forgiveness compared to the TA3 5i but the sole was something I had to remember to sweep with. The XHP now gives me combo of the ping and ta3 ive been looking for

My mind can now be at ease..... buyers remorse solved :cool:

***aka AtChad***

I played with a buddy who just got the x hot pros this weekend. He was just picking the course apart.

Back