Report on first Golfweek Am Tour Tourney

Good job wadesworld, 92 sounds like a fine score for a first event in C. I play in the Columbia SC group, and it sounds very similar to your experience, though our group is smaller. Our events are normally 50-60 golfers. I play in C flight and this is my third year, though I played in D for most of my first year. I enjoy it. Some of my friends think it is too expensive, they will say "eh, I can play Woodlands for $25 with my discount coupon" where it is $70 for the tourney, but I consider it worth it as I prefer the feel of tournament competition rather than a casual round, and with the full schedule of events it gives me more chances to get out and play. Plus if you do well you can win back some or more than your entry cost. Our group pays out in Dick's Sporting Goods gift cards.

We normally play ball-down, full USGA rules with exception of triple bogey max for a hole for pace of play. They did lift and place in fairway at an event a few weeks ago though because we had so much rain, but that is not usually the case. We also do no slope-enabled lasers, and guys use the smartphone gps, but I've never heard it discuss about it being specifically allowed.

Our side-games are little different. We do $5 for closest to pin per-flight. $5 for flight skins where they group D-C-B together and A and Champ together. Then they do a super-skins which is all flights $10 entry. Sometimes I enter that stuff but half the time I don't. Seems like if I get a birdie it rarely holds.

I have learned a lot through playing in these events. I have found that sometimes there will be someone out there that drops in a low score, but more often than not, there are guys having problems and everyone kind of scoring higher than their "normal" score.

Results were posted.

I came in 6th in my flight.

Scores ahead of my 92 were 85, 85, 90, 91, 91.

Interestingly, there was a 90,91 and 92 in the D-flight, so I assume those folks will be moving up. There were also some guys who posted 73's in the B-flight. I guarantee they'll be moving up, probably all the way to the Championship flight. Winning score in the Championship flight was a 71, with about 4 72's right behind it.

Pretty pleased with my performance given that it was my first tourney and knowing how much room for improvement I have.

Wade,
Great recap and nice job with the 6th place to start the season.

Is there a range of handicaps for the flights?

2 strokes away from 3rd, id say thats a solid start to the season!

Wade,
Great recap and nice job with the 6th place to start the season.

Is there a range of handicaps for the flights?

Yep.

Championship: 0-3.9
A flight: 4.0-8.9
B flight: 9.0-13.9
C flight: 14.0-18.9
D flight: 19 and above

Obviously those are just guidelines though and people will move according to their results.

Cool, thanks for the info, checking out their site now.

looks like once a month here in Cincy which isnt bad at all

Wade, that was an awesome write up! 92 in your first tournament style play is awesome dude! Sounds like you played well within yourself, and know where you need to spend some time working on. Congrats dude!

#TeamAlbatrossFTW

Wade, that was an awesome write up! 92 in your first tournament style play is awesome dude! Sounds like you played well within yourself, and know where you need to spend some time working on. Congrats dude!

#TeamAlbatrossFTW

Thanks Ryan. I'd give my performance a B-. I've got a putting lesson scheduled for Monday to try to address that area. Chipping and pitching was up and down (pun certainly intended). I've just got to work on swinging with confidence on the short stuff. Most of the ones I struck well were a bit short. The ones I didn't strike well were bladed because on the way down I thought, "Oh no...too hard." I've just got to commit and deal with the results after. I honestly believe 85 was within my reach. I guess the next few tournaments will tell whether that's truly the case or whether I'm delusional. But I'm happy that a truly good performance seemed within reach and I was confident the whole way around.

I play on the Cincy Tour and will play in a couple Kentucky Tour tournaments. It really is a good time. I love the competition. Being a veteran of the "sales" life I can't help but be extremely competitive. This tour offers fun and competition. It's a great balance without being over the top.

Nice round, I play in the Memphis division of Golfweek.
Our first tourny is on the 23rd at Tunica National. Hope I play as well as you =)
Good luck this season.

I play on the Cincy Tour and will play in a couple Kentucky Tour tournaments. It really is a good time. I love the competition. Being a veteran of the "sales" life I can't help but be extremely competitive. This tour offers fun and competition. It's a great balance without being over the top.

yeah the Cincy one was the one I looked at, some decent courses to pick from and the entry fees are $20 less than AM Tour

yeah the Cincy one was the one I looked at, some decent courses to pick from and the entry fees are $20 less than AM Tour

Ya. Much more affordable for the Golfweek. That is what sold me last year.

Yea, I went ahead and signed up this year. Thanks for the rundown WW! I always play the ball down, no mulligans, play by the rules ( as best as anyone can understand them! ) so I think that will help for sure. Did any issues come up regarding rules? That probably worries me more than anything, because I know some, but there are so many "vague" ones in my opinion, that it could be an issue.

Yea, I went ahead and signed up this year. Thanks for the rundown WW! I always play the ball down, no mulligans, play by the rules ( as best as anyone can understand them! ) so I think that will help for sure. Did any issues come up regarding rules? That probably worries me more than anything, because I know some, but there are so many "vague" ones in my opinion, that it could be an issue.

Hey BIGBALL, you should be ahead of the curve if you have been playing "real/tournament" golf already. Actually the rules situations which have come up in circumstances I have been around have been interesting. I wouldn't say anything to be worried about, its like a learning experience for all. My advice would be if you are in a questionable situation, to negotiate to play two balls from that point thru the end of that hole, then discuss the matter with the director and course pro afterwards and they will figure it out then.

I have enjoyed the events. Good luck, and play well!!

Other than high school golf, not really.

However, I didn't approach it as a competition. I was out there to have fun. I was expecting to come in somewhere at the back of my flight.

However, among my group of four, I was playing about the best for most of the day. I'm not sure whether that was my ability, or perhaps just my approach to the competition. I did fall off at the end and ended up coming in second among our group of four by a stroke. As I said, I think I probably placed in the top-half of the flight, or maybe even top-third. I'll report back when the scores are posted. If I am able to improve to where I'm competitive with the top of the flight, it will be interesting to see if I can keep the "don't care" attitude or whether it starts to get to me.

I was hesitant to even say competitive because I didn't necessarily think you were approaching it that way.

Sounds like you are taking a great attitude towards it and having fun--which is what it is all about. I've been thinking about looking into some tournaments like this so I'm definitely going to be following along.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for sharing! I've wanted to do more "legit" tournaments than fun rounds and reading this may just put me over the edge

Dan

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Great write up and performance Wade! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the scores dropping dude

Thanks for sharing that. Glad you had fun out there!

I was just going through the website and came across your tourney. Congratas on a 6th place finish out of 22 in your flight!

Dan

thanks for sharing. You've piqued my interested in am tour golf. Are the people you play with generally pretty nice or do they get chippy out there? I never realized how accessible am tours are, always thought they were tough to get into and tougher to play. Sounds like a great way to play more golf.

grats on the finish but get on that podium next time huh? We're rooting for you!

No, not really. We were unsure of the correct ruling on one shot because we were told we were playing lift, clean and place through the green, meaning rough and fairway. However, one of our group members played a ball as it lied in a junk area and later wondered whether he could have lifted, cleaned and placed it. But, he wasn't playing well, so it ended up not mattering.

I was told there was one player on the tour with whom everyone hates playing. He's apparently major "rules lawyer," and takes etiquette to a crazy extreme. However, they said that 99% of the guys are good guys.

thanks for sharing. You've piqued my interested in am tour golf. Are the people you play with generally pretty nice or do they get chippy out there? I never realized how accessible am tours are, always thought they were tough to get into and tougher to play. Sounds like a great way to play more golf.

grats on the finish but get on that podium next time huh? We're rooting for you!

Well, I've only had one tourney, but everyone I met was very nice. I would be surprised if there's much intensity out there. I would think most of the contention, if any, is about where people are flighted, rather than on-course issues.

I suppose there could be some tension over slow play. We had one guy in our group that was not speedy. However, we kept up pretty well and the group behind us was apparently slow, so it never became an issue.

Do you know what prizes were awarded?

Do you know what prizes were awarded?

I don't believe there were any actual prizes, though I could be wrong. There were trophies for winning the flight, and if your participated in the skins/closest-to-the-hole competitions, you could win some cash.

I don't believe there were any actual prizes, though I could be wrong. There were trophies for winning the flight, and if your participated in the skins/closest-to-the-hole competitions, you could win some cash.

I think they award gift cards WW.. I was supposed to have my first event this Saturday, but I tweaked my back, so will have to wait until the next event

Great post! Sounds like an awesome experience.

Back