The Haney Project: Michael Phelps

I think I would much rather see Hank Haney do a show like the old Golf Channel Academy (and Golf Channel Academy Live) like the Golf Channel did many years ago.

I'd like to see less filler, maybe go back to a 30 minute format. I really couldn't have cared less about how impressed Phelps was with Yao Ming's size or Phelps beating Haney at swimming.

I'd like to see less filler, maybe go back to a 30 minute format. I really couldn't have cared less about how impressed Phelps was with Yao Ming's size or Phelps beating Haney at swimming.

Well, this is an entertainment show. I was thinking more along the lines of a true instructional show, like they used to do.

I don't like Michael Breed, so I don't really watch much of his show.

Well, this is an entertainment show. I was thinking more along the lines of a true instructional show, like they used to do.

I don't like Michael Breed, so I don't really watch much of his show.

Yeah, I understand that it's entertainment focused, I just wish it was more about golf entertainment.

I think The Golf Fix has gone downhill. Breed doesn't actually go into anything in depth really, and it just kind of reminds me of a Micro Machines commercial lately.

I'm watching on delay so I can skip commercials, but this episode seems especially whiny already.

I'm watching this tomorrow your statement is what I was afraid of. Does Hank have any pros that he coaches anymore ?

After Tiger, Haney said he wouldn't coach pros anymore. I'm not so sure after the book that a pro would trust him.

To my untrained and amateur eye, Haney needs to somehow restrict Phelps' backswing; he is too loose at the top.

It is fascinating to see a world-class athlete in one sport try to become a scratch golfer; I just hope kids don't pick up the club-throwing & constant profanity by Phelps. At least until they are old enough to understand how foolish they look.

On one hand, I am positive I could stomp Phelps in a round of golf. However, I am somewhat jealous of his swing, or at least his flexibility. While it's not dialed in yet, he's going to be a very good player when he gets it figured out. His ceiling is much higher than mine.

Yao mings driver was a good foot longer than standard lol
Yeah and his 7 iron was as long as Phelps driver!!! Classic.
http://www.cbssports.com/golf/blog/...to-yao-mings-golf-clubs-are-longer-than-yours
ming32012.jpg

I'm trying to like this season, but I'm finding it very dull and unlike able. Too bad.

I am finding it hard to get into this season....way too much fluff and not enough golf or instruction....one of the main reasons I watch this show is to see amatuer golfers and the way Haney works to fix their swing flaws and I hope to pick up some info along the way.

This season has very little real instruction in it and I am losing interest quickly

The main issue I have is simliar to all of you as well. If he wanted to get a swing change, stay your ass at home or travel to hank and just work on golf. I dont understand all the traveling if he made a "real" commitment to to do this show. It annoying to see him so blah about it. Give me a few lessons with hank haney and I would hit 1000 balls until my hands fell off my forearms. My wrist hinge would suffer a bit though.

I am finding it hard to get into this season....way too much fluff and not enough golf or instruction....one of the main reasons I watch this show is to see amatuer golfers and the way Haney works to fix their swing flaws and I hope to pick up some info along the way.

This season has very little real instruction in it and I am losing interest quickly

Maybe he can mention once more that he is retired and going around and playing in these events and courses all over the world is what he does now

This show is starting to jump the shark for me as well. Between the lack of golf, the bulk of the show being hank sitting in some ridiculous theater watching tape of Phelps play pro-am's, and the lack of focus/actual work done by Phelps even though every show they remind us 43 times how hard he worked to win medals, I'm just about checked out. This really seems like a publicity stunt by phelps who really has no true aspirations to be remotely competitive in golf.

And what was with Haney wearing lipstick watching phelps videos?? Creepy!

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

And what was with Haney wearing lipstick watching phelps videos?? Creepy!

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

Oh my! Haven't seen this episode yet, but it sounds like nothing has changed from the first two. Lipstick? Really or was that a play on words from something that happened on the show?

J.

So it sounds like after this past episode they are actually going to start working together. It's about time, I'm ready for the show to take off but at this point it's just been a bunch of nothing. I did notice Phelps was using a Hirzl glove. Found that pretty interesting since at the time everything in the bag is pretty much TM. I thought it was cool how you saw him interact with Yao and Kuchar. I don't think I'd want to be Phelps on a day like that. All those people would drive me crazy. I hate crowds.

Took in yet another episode tonight and still pretty disappointed. I feel like rather than this being a Haney project on teaching the game, it's a Haney project on convincing Phelps to give a crap about the sport rather than messing around doing nothing.

It's actually started to get frustrating. I can bet most on this site would do a number of unspeakable things to have Haney + range + course at their disposal from sun up to sun down, let alone the incredible places they are going to play golf. The fact that Phelps doesn't have the motivation to become a better golfer is almost like the show flaunting his celebrity in our faces.

I'm a sucker for it, so I'll probably keep watching, but man, Haney, if you want commitment, look no further. I'll play till my hands are raw.

I know this has been said a million times, But I would rather see a season where 2 amateurs start from where they are with no pervious lessons and see how they develop into their golf season and watch the progress..

I tweeted Hank last year, and he said the viewing would be down if it wasn't celebrities or stars like Mr.Phelps..

I know this has been said a million times, But I would rather see a season where 2 amateurs start from where they are with no pervious lessons and see how they develop into their golf season and watch the progress..

I tweeted Hank last year, and he said the viewing would be down if it wasn't celebrities or stars like Mr.Phelps..

I would watch if he had Satch and Blu Gold. That would be epic.

Saw last weeks and this weeks back to back. He definitely has talent. The trouble is he 1.knows it and 2. Doesn't really care to work at developing it. Probably due to training burn out or something. Funny part was on last week when Hank was late getting there. MP was like "where's Hank? This sucks". Doesn't feel so good does it?

i bet he ends up doing pretty well because he is a gifted athlete, but his give a crap factor will probably never change.

J.

It was nice to see some actual golf being practiced and played in this week's episode. Funny they are at the "half way point" and dont seem to be that far along yet.

The main issue I have is simliar to all of you as well. If he wanted to get a swing change, stay your ass at home or travel to hank and just work on golf. I dont understand all the traveling if he made a "real" commitment to to do this show. It annoying to see him so blah about it. Give me a few lessons with hank haney and I would hit 1000 balls until my hands fell off my forearms. My wrist hinge would suffer a bit though.

He likely gets an appearance / speaking fee to attend most of these events. Thus, that is his "job" now - to travel the world and appear at these shindigs.

I agree with Dan though. I'd crawl through broken glass to have Haney working me to death like that.

Well, I can say this. My wife has been watching some with me, and I can guarantee you if it was some random golfer, she wouldn't be.

Well, I can say this. My wife has been watching some with me, and I can guarantee you if it was some random golfer, she wouldn't be.

Yeah makes sense...I have no interest in the show though because when you have a lot of time and money and get invited to a ton of golf events just because you are a celebrity yeah you can get better at golf easily.

I don't doubt that, but I guess they care more about catering to the casual golf fan, which considering it's the "golf" channel, shows how stupid television is to begin with.

Honestly, i'd love to see him work with a raw 2-5 handicap to see if he can turn them into a scratch golfer or better. Someone with quite a bit of talent that just needs to be refined. Sure, it's not going to destroy in ratings, but at least it would be a meaningful process.

Same here, my wife actually enjoys watching the show because it is phelps, but I certainly would be more tuned in with an average joe amateur!!!

We haven't watched last night's show yet, but I gotta say that we'll probably save it for when we have two shows recording and we can't watch a regular channel.

Back