Hi my name is roguepixel....

roguepixel

Reaction score
Handicap
....and I'm a golf addict.

So the credit card bill comes in and my wife sees my recent purchases. $85 for my new Odyssey putter and $113 at the Martin's PGA Superstore for a new pair of FJ shoes, balls, putter grip, etc.

So after a few outbursts, she starts looking up everything golf related since January....and WHOA!!! I have a problem. Since January, I have spent just a smidge over $3,000. That doesn't include March because she couldn't find that statement.

I'm on the road to recovery. The first step to fixing the problem is admitting you have a problem.

Sooooo, that begs the question, who goes a little overboard on their golf equipment?

I used to...back when I actually had money to spend! I went crazy for about 6 months...now I've hardly changed in a year.

I try to limit myself to one thing a year. I got new irons last year, and a hybrid this year. I am thinking next year it might be time for new wedges.

The only thing I buy for golf are clothes and tees. Everything else is usually a gift.

....and I'm a golf addict.

So the credit card bill comes in and my wife sees my recent purchases. $85 for my new Odyssey putter and $113 at the Martin's PGA Superstore for a new pair of FJ shoes, balls, putter grip, etc.

So after a few outbursts, she starts looking up everything golf related since January....and WHOA!!! I have a problem. Since January, I have spent just a smidge over $3,000. That doesn't include March because she couldn't find that statement.

I'm on the road to recovery. The first step to fixing the problem is admitting you have a problem.

Sooooo, that begs the question, who goes a little overboard on their golf equipment?

That includes golf rounds??...nevermind...still early..I read now as golf equipment

Wow!That's pretty major. If I had the means I think that I would buy stuff too. I'd like to think that I'd spend my bread on rounds and golf trips though. I'd like to have some nice golf gear.

I used to go through clubs a lot more often than I do now that I'm retired. This year's purchase was a Cobra 3-wood, and that should do it for this year.

I've even got some clubs in the bag that are ~10 years old - two TM Fairway rescues, a V-Steel 4-wood, and old an 1980'ish putter.

I replaced almost every club in my bag last year, and I think I'm set for a bit.

However... Hubby has garbage clubs.* He rented a set Cobras yesterday and (in Harry's words), hit the snot out of the irons. So I think the equipment bill will start to rise again.

When i first got in da game i went club ho mad racked over 3500.00
on ebaybut then economy got a hold and now barely buy balls

That's why I pay "cash" for everything golf related. No paper trail. My wife does not wig out on me for buying sports stuff. She just gets even. Last set of clubs I purchased actually cost me $4 grand after you factor in the new furniture. :banghead:

I should clairfy, the "bill" DOES include rounds of golf. I play LEAST 27 holes a week, and two visits to the range.

I should clairfy, the "bill" DOES include rounds of golf. I play LEAST 27 holes a week, and two visits to the range.

You play year round - right? Then don't worry - you're not out of control yet.

Out goes the bad air, IN goes the good!

Under a grand including the pass... The wife would clobber me with that kind of bill.

I've stalled on marrying the missus (together 4 years) for this very reason.
Actually I think she's been the one stalling due to my addiction!

Recently just spent a little over $1000 (NZ) on a driver / 3 wood in the last two months.

FYI - here in NZ a new R9 driver retails for about $899 NZD, R9 three wood about $499

Last time I looked 1 NZD equates to about 60 odd US cents.

Fortunately it's not what but who you know and I managed to get them for $650 and $399 respectively.

:welcome:

hah! :clap:

Think I'm close to 1k for the year, but that does include a new set of irons and hybrids.. all in all, not too bad. :) Blogging has it's benefits, golf becomes a business expense and potential tax write-off :)

I think I'm under a grand for the year (unless I buy equipment)

hah! :clap:

Think I'm close to 1k for the year, but that does include a new set of irons and hybrids.. all in all, not too bad. :) Blogging has it's benefits, golf becomes a business expense and potential tax write-off :)

hmmmm....that gives me an idea!!!

Not much on equipment or golf in the past year. However, my cigar recipts are a jaw dropper, so much so that I've stopped looking at them. Good thing there is no Mrs. in my life:D

is this legal and if so, how does it work?

Eh, well, it was a joke :) I always fantasize with the idea of being able to write it off as a business expense, but I have no idea if it's legal, nor have I done research into it! It provides a semi-viable alibi for the misus.. until now atleast... thanks THP :angry:

I once did the calculation. I didn't like the answer so I don't do the calculation anymore.:D

But rogue, I don't consider your golf spending to be even close to out of control. $90 per round times 50 for me and 25 for my wife. Add in travel costs and equipment purchases and we normally spend close to $10K per year golf related.

Back