Callaway X-Hot & X-Hot Pro Driver Preview Thread

I think it's safe to say my X Hot 11.5 punished the ball on Saturday in Dallas. Was unleashing some bombs thanks to one Freddie Kong!

I think it's safe to say my X Hot 11.5 punished the ball on Saturday in Dallas. Was unleashing some bombs thanks to one Freddie Kong!

Seems like you get a good bang for your buck with this driver. I suppose those of you who have compared the X Hot with the Extreme, felt like this driver could hold its own against big brother?

Seems like you get a good bang for your buck with this driver. I suppose those of you who have compared the X Hot with the Extreme, felt like this driver could hold its own against big brother?

Absolutely I feel that way, but it's all in what you need. I liked it better but all three Cally drivers have their merits.

I just need to find the right shaft for me on this one, I sent my 4x back to Florida on the tour van.

I know this question was not asked of me, but I will put my 2 cents in. For whatever reason, I liked the feel of the XHot better, plus the shaft offering fit my game better. I was not a fan of the Aldila shaft in the RFE and my game cant handle a black tie. Plus not spending an extra $100 was a plus also.

Flying home from Charleston, SC and just ebay'd a Miyazki shaft to pair with my X Hot Driver, old dog needs a few more rpm's on the swing speed and interested to try this pairing out.

Gotta love wifi on airplanes

This has piqued my curosity, which Miyazaki have you purchased? Let us know how this works out for you.

This has piqued my curosity, which Miyazaki have you purchased? Let us know how this works out for you.

Nothing fancy, just base level, Miyazaki B Asha. Expect to have it on Thursday and will definitely get out for at least 1 round this weekend.

Nothing fancy, just base level, Miyazaki B Asha. Expect to have it on Thursday and will definitely get out for at least 1 round this weekend.

This combo is exactly the one I wish I could try. I love the feel of the B Asha in the Cleveland Custom XL and hit it very well and very straight. I hit the X Hot a few yards longer but only a little less straight. Was wondering if there might be an increase in accuracy and possibly distance also with the B Asha. I will be looking for your follow up on this.

This combo is exactly the one I wish I could try. I love the feel of the B Asha in the Cleveland Custom XL and hit it very well and very straight. I hit the X Hot a few yards longer but only a little less straight. Was wondering if there might be an increase in accuracy and possibly distance also with the B Asha. I will be looking for your follow up on this.

Count on it - we share the same goals!!!

Absolutely I feel that way, but it's all in what you need. I liked it better but all three Cally drivers have their merits.

I just need to find the right shaft for me on this one, I sent my 4x back to Florida on the tour van.

Jman,

I spoke with the Callaway rep today and shared my experiences with him. He basically is asking me what I want to do.

I'm thinking of asking him to go with the standard head and keep the 6.5 pro shaft. Is this a wise move or should I just move along altogether? I know (I think i know anyway) you've hit both heads and you like the standard head just need a shaft, right? Can you shed a light for me? ...

Jman,

I spoke with the Callaway rep today and shared my experiences with him. He basically is asking me what I want to do.

I'm thinking of asking him to go with the standard head and keep the 6.5 pro shaft. Is this a wise move or should I just move along altogether? I know (I think i know anyway) you've hit both heads and you like the standard head just need a shaft, right? Can you shed a light for me? ...

Not sure of the entire situation and if I've missed a few posts, but from what I remember, your initial reactions were a little too high in flight and seems I remember your miss being left? If so, and he is truly "willing to do anything" have him send you a Black Tie for that puppy. You sound like a perfect candidate.

Not sure of the entire situation and if I've missed a few posts, but from what I remember, your initial reactions were a little too high in flight and seems I remember your miss being left? If so, and he is truly "willing to do anything" have him send you a Black Tie for that puppy. You sound like a perfect candidate.

Thanks JLit, actually I thought the PXV 6.5 shaft was pretty nice (the other shaft I have is a 'ahina 60 S and it was just too light overall). I think the Pro version head was creating too much spin; in addition, I found that particular head to be decent/good on center strikes and average/poor on slightly off-center strikes. I tried others (finally) in the store and found this to be the case as well. This is why I'm thinking the Standard X Hot head with the PXV shaft MAY/MIGHT be a good combo. I don't want to HAVE to hit the dead center of something every time to make it perform. The Standard may be more forgiving and just as long, consistently speaking...

To answer the ball flight ?, generally it was ok. In S position it was a high draw and O position was mid-high straight-fade, on center strikes. Non-center strikes were ballooning and dropping straight down. And distance was mediocre at best (vs. the Ping Anser). I actually want the mid-high flight, I just don't want the spin!

Gotcha. I have the standard 9.5 in a stiff 7m3. I launch both high and more spin than ideal, and this seems to do the trick. I hit all configurations and the standard did seem to be much more forgiving than the pro head on those "not so stellar" strikes. The Pro shaft in the standard head was my initial decision until I tried the black tie once more. The Pro shaft/non-pro head is a more forgiving combo for sure. I produced significantly lower spin #s in that setup also. Launch was still a little high, hence the black tie upgrade.

Gotcha. I have the standard 9.5 in a stiff 7m3. I launch both high and more spin than ideal, and this seems to do the trick. I hit all configurations and the standard did seem to be much more forgiving than the pro head on those "not so stellar" strikes. The Pro shaft in the standard head was my initial decision until I tried the black tie once more. The Pro shaft/non-pro head is a more forgiving combo for sure. I produced significantly lower spin #s in that setup also. Launch was still a little high, hence the black tie upgrade.

Ok, that seems like a ticket I probably need to punch then.

Thank you SOO much for the info, that is what I was looking for. I'm not sure about the Black Tie as I've never really gotten along well with Matrix shafts but I have a lot of buddies that enjoy them. I think the PXV shaft will work fine for me as long as the weight of that shaft doesn't cause swingweight issues. I've always like the launch and spin characteristics of the PX Black and the PXV is really close. The Diamana 'ahina is the one that really surprised me because it just felt aweful in that head...

First time gaming the XH today after only one bag of balls. 10/12 fairways, and even hit two that narrow up to a point where I always hit 3w off the tee. I hit 3w off the remaining two holes and missed both. Haha. My two misses with the driver were a combined 4-5 yds off the short grass. Highlight of the day was actually a mishit. Hit one high on the toe, but instead of the usual way short right, it was a 260 yd carry down the right side that couldn't have moved 3 yds in flight. That was my wow moment. Couldn't believe that ball. The slight breeze turned into a pretty strong wind by rounds end and the course was soaked so I'll reserve total distance for another time but it certainly is longer than the RBZ Tour. Just a matter of how much. Love at first sight!

Just to reiterate, 260 carry high off the toe! Not excited one bit!

So far i am very pleased with my x hot pro driver. When struck solid out of the middle im seeing 270-280 on avg., one i absolutely nailed today and got 293 with roll. One thing i will say bad about this driver is the fact that it is not very forgiving. If your consistently hitting this driver out of the sweet spot it performs but if you aren't the penalty is pretty steep.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

So far i am very pleased with my x hot pro driver. When struck solid out of the middle im seeing 270-280 on avg., one i absolutely nailed today and got 293 with roll. One thing i will say bad about this driver is the fact that it is not very forgiving. If your consistently hitting this driver out of the sweet spot it performs but if you aren't the penalty is pretty steep.

I don't want to step on any toes here but I think that for the most part it would be a good thing to take a nice testing of both versions and unless someone is an elite ball striker the regular version may be the better route. Appears to be working well for you, keep it up, hope I did not jinx you with my comment. To be safe all is retracted and most all should go with the pro version.

My experience as well, if you hit it in the center it goes. If you miss slightly, you're going to be displeased...

I don't want to step on any toes here but I think that for the most part it would be a good thing to take a nice testing of both versions and unless someone is an elite ball striker the regular version may be the better route. Appears to be working well for you, keep it up, hope I did not jinx you with my comment. To be safe all is retracted and most all should go with the pro version.

Definitely try both versions. There is a stark difference between the two in terms of FORGIVENESS...

4a2edusa.jpg
My experience as well, if you hit it in the center it goes. If you miss slightly, you're going to be displeased...

Definitely try both versions. There is a stark difference between the two in terms of FORGIVENESS...

That's what i've seen consistently. As long as im hitting the sweetspot this badboy performs with a good bit of workability but like you said if you even slightly miss hit this driver its a good 20-30 yard drop off. Thats the price you pay with a smaller players head that gives you workability. This is definitely not the driver for the masses. When i first tried it out with the pxv i hated it but once i popped the proforce v2 in this thing is great.

That's what i've seen consistently. As long as im hitting the sweetspot this badboy performs with a good bit of workability but like you said if you even slightly miss hit this driver its a good 20-30 yard drop off. Thats the price you pay with a smaller players head that gives you workability. This is definitely not the driver for the masses. When i first tried it out with the pxv i hated it but once i popped the proforce v2 in this thing is great.

Good for you, sounds like you've found a combo that suits your needs. For me, I don't think shaft change is going to help. After the PXV and then with the Diamana 'ahina, things kept getting worse. This club (for me) was easily 20 yards behind the Ping Anser, sometimes more and sometimes less, but behind it nevertheless. And trust me, I really wanted to like it...

If I stay with this club I'm going to go with a standard head, I'm just trying to figure out which one. I don't like a lot of face roll and some of the higher lofted heads in the standard version get progressively heel weighted, so I'm in a bit of a quandary. Actually, I think I'm leaning toward just offering it up for sale (maybe to the forum members if there's an interest) and playing the Anser. I kind-of think having two drivers is like having two quarterbacks; if you have two, you don't have any...

I'm thinking the 11.5 regular/non pro version with the red tie shaft, might be a cool version for us normal humans, who don't have 110 MPH swing speeds :thumb:

Good for you, sounds like you've found a combo that suits your needs. For me, I don't think shaft change is going to help. After the PXV and then with the Diamana 'ahina, things kept getting worse. This club (for me) was easily 20 yards behind the Ping Anser, sometimes more and sometimes less, but behind it nevertheless. And trust me, I really wanted to like it...

If I stay with this club I'm going to go with a standard head, I'm just trying to figure out which one. I don't like a lot of face roll and some of the higher lofted heads in the standard version get progressively heel weighted, so I'm in a bit of a quandary. Actually, I think I'm leaning toward just offering it up for sale (maybe to the forum members if there's an interest) and playing the Anser. I kind-of think having two drivers is like having two quarterbacks; if you have two, you don't have any...

The Anser is a great driver, honestly if it wasn't for the deal I get on callaway clubs I was seriously considering getting the Anser or the I20 driver. But I understand the two driver statement, makes it complicated to decide which club to play. If the Anser works best i would keep it in the bag.

Tapatalking from the bottom of the cup.

I'm thinking the 11.5 regular/non pro version with the red tie shaft, might be a cool version for us normal humans, who don't have 110 MPH swing speeds :thumb:

LOL, If thats the combo that suits you best then play that sucker. One thing my swing coach has beat into my head is "Play your own game, dont worry about what others are doing." Its taken me awhile to really follow by that statement but once I did it made a world of difference in tournaments. It doesnt matter if someone is belting drives 30 yards past me or using a 9 iron where I play 7 iron. I just stick to my game and beat them on the scorecard.

The Anser is a great driver, honestly if it wasn't for the deal I get on callaway clubs I was seriously considering getting the Anser or the I20 driver. But I understand the two driver statement, makes it complicated to decide which club to play. If the Anser works best i would keep it in the bag.

That is my thought EXACTLY!!!

BTW, how do you like the 13.5* X Hot Pro?? I'm really contemplating that club to bridge the gap between driver and 4-wood but I'm not sure there's a whole lot to be gained...

some of the higher lofted heads in the standard version get progressively heel weighted, so I'm in a bit of a quandary.

This had crossed my mind for you. I tried out the 10.5 head and even with it set to open still missed left. The ONLY thing about this line I'm not a fan of. Don't agree at all with their "data has shown people who need higher lofts tend to need a draw bias". Very generic and blanketing statement that isn't very accurate in my opinion.

Back