NYC - Advice Needed

MistyKeene

Today is the Day
Reaction score
Handicap
:)
Well folks, I was just told I am going to NYC for a week for work at the end of the month. This trip will include 2-3 days of "off" time for me to go see the city. Surprisingly, I have never been there before and I know we have a lot of people on the forum who live there or know the ins and outs of NYC.

Soooo, what should I go see and do while I am there?? I'm excited about the trip. I'll be splitting my time and staying in Rockefeller Center and on Wall Street.

Misty - What are your interests? Museums, plays, tourist attractions, shopping, people watching etc.?

Misty - What are your interests? Museums, plays, tourist attractions, shopping, people watching etc.?

Jeez you'll have all of that in whatever hotel you're staying in!

Well folks, I was just told I am going to NYC for a week for work at the end of the month. This trip will include 2-3 days of "off" time for me to go see the city. Surprisingly, I have never been there before and I know we have a lot of people on the forum who live there or know the ins and outs of NYC.

Soooo, what should I go see and do while I am there?? I'm excited about the trip. I'll be splitting my time and staying in Rockefeller Center and on Wall Street.

Misty I'd just go there without a set itinerary. It's amazing how much stuff you end up doing without getting bogged down in all the details. That being said, at least try to hit Central Park during the afternoon one day. It's awesome during Sept-Nov!

All of it! :) I like seeing new places. I will likely try to go to a show, the Statue of Liberty and a museum. I need suggestions on a good show (somone suggested Lion King) and need to decided which of the museums I'm going to try to see!

Misty I'd just go there without a set itinerary. It's amazing how much stuff you end up doing without getting bogged down in all the details. That being said, at least try to hit Central Park during the afternoon one day. It's awesome during Sept-Nov!

Yes, I am scheduling it all out! That is the only way I think I can do this trip :). I will be going to Central Park without question. I did hear the weather makes it nice this time of year!!

The only advice I have is to never get caught between the moon and New York City.

I saw Jersey Boys a couple of years ago on Broadway and enjoyed it.

The only advice I have is to never get caught between the moon and New York City.

:bomb: :banghead: :bomb:

Good thing it's your b-day Gasser lol

:bomb: :banghead: :bomb:

Good thing it's your b-day Gasser lol

Come on, its Arthurs Song. :act-up:
Ive never been there, but if I did I would make sure to go to Peter Lugers. Thats like one of the steak houses that started it all.

Misty- I think you're doing yourself a great injustice (no pun intended) if you don't go see 'The Awesome 80's Prom.' Fantastic 80's music, if you're into that sorta thing. It's highly interactive where the cast comes out and dances with the audience and the theater recommends you wear comfortable clothes just for that purpose

Misty - All of the museums are great, but I'm partial to the Met. I really like old armor so I tend to spend a lot of time in there, but the entire museum is wonderful. You get a bit of everything. I also like the Whitney a lot and the Museum of Natural History. If you're in midtown - Grand Central and St. Patrick's are both worth going to. Another must is going to the Top of the Rock - the view is amazing and worth the cost. You should go to Rockefeller center anyway - if nothing else to look at the murals on the ceiling inside the entrance. The Chrysler building is cool too.

Since you're a golfer, if you have time - go to the driving range at Chelsea Piers. It's so much fun to hit balls out towards the Hudson. Try to get on the top level.

If you're a shopper - might as well go to Saks and Bloomingdales. Walk up Madison Avenue too.

As far as neighborhoods go - that depends on what you like. You may want to just stick to the Village, Chelsea or Soho rather than trek all the way to Chinatown and Little Italy.

Oh - the subway really is the fastest way to get around to some of these places especially during rush hour when taxis are difficult to find.

Misty - All of the museums are great, but I'm partial to the Met. I really like old armor so I tend to spend a lot of time in there, but the entire museum is wonderful. You get a bit of everything. I also like the Whitney a lot and the Museum of Natural History. If you're in midtown - Grand Central and St. Patrick's are both worth going to. Another must is going to the Top of the Rock - the view is amazing and worth the cost. You should go to Rockefeller center anyway - if nothing else to look at the murals on the ceiling inside the entrance. The Chrysler building is cool too. Agreed - If you're going to the top of the Rock, it's worth getting the combo ticket with MoMA - the museum of modern art, which is a pretty cool way to spend a couple of hours as well. It's about three blocks north of The Rockefeller Center

Since you're a golfer, if you have time - go to the driving range at Chelsea Piers. It's so much fun to hit balls out towards the Hudson. Try to get on the top level. just be prepared to remortgage your house to pay for the balls

If you're a shopper - might as well go to Saks and Bloomingdales. Walk up Madison Avenue too.

As far as neighborhoods go - that depends on what you like. You may want to just stick to the Village, Chelsea or Soho rather than trek all the way to Chinatown and Little Italy.

Oh - the subway really is the fastest way to get around to some of these places especially during rush hour when taxis are difficult to find.

Other things I'd suggest would be visiting Ground Zero - I think they've started building the new ones now, so that could be interesting. It's also an interesting contrast between there and midtown. Midtown the streets are large and the buildings set quite a ways back from the street. Downtown, the streets are narrow and the buildings are close to them too. It's quite claustrophobic by comparison. Otherwise, the stuff people have already suggested and I also think it's nice to walk alongside the Hudson river. You can walk all the way from the WTC area up to Harlem if you're so inclined.

I agree - visiting Ground Zero is a must. They put the piece of the tower back last week.

Other things I'd suggest would be visiting Ground Zero - I think they've started building the new ones now, so that could be interesting. It's also an interesting contrast between there and midtown. Midtown the streets are large and the buildings set quite a ways back from the street. Downtown, the streets are narrow and the buildings are close to them too. It's quite claustrophobic by comparison. Otherwise, the stuff people have already suggested and I also think it's nice to walk alongside the Hudson river. You can walk all the way from the WTC area up to Harlem if you're so inclined.

I was surprised it took that many posts to mention Ground Zero. That was the first thing that crossed my mind!

I was surprised it took that many posts to mention Ground Zero. That was the first thing that crossed my mind!

That's because you don't live in or around NYC. People here think about it differently because we all have friends who died there.

Wow - thank you all for the great suggestions and inside info. :clapp:

I'm literally taking it all down so I can make a game plan for tackling the city. :)

Ellis Island is my favorite museum in the world--same ferry that goes to the Statue of Liberty. It's just amazing.

Bring good shoes and walk, walk, walk. As Diane said--you can walk pretty much the entire island. China Town and Little Italy are fun for the gawking. Have a drink at the Algonquin. Go to the Empire State Building. All good stuff.

Lion King and Wicked are good shows. The new Disney production is Mary Poppins, which is supposed to be good too. Even if you've heard that a performance is sold out, check the box office. Sometimes they have single seats available that are next to a post or something that they haven't sold. The view is fine though. There's the booth in Time square to get 1/2 price show tickets too. So much to do, so little time.

Back