DirecTV drops Versus

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
This seems to be happening more and more, and I'm getting sick of it.

DirecTV and Comcast could not reach an agreement over fees for the Versus channel, and the contract expired August 31st, so no more Versus:
DIRECTV: Versus on DIRECTV

Now, I'm not a huge Versus viewer, but they do carry college football in the Fall, and my team's first televised game is on Versus. Figures. However, I do watch it more than the 150 other channels that comprise 75% of my "package" and that have no programming whatsoever that I would watch, but have no option to remove and save money because I want Golf Channel and the local Fox Sports channel (which carries the baseball games), which are only available with the elevated (i.e., more expensive) package.

And do you think I will receive any credit for having less channels? Of course not.

With Versus no longer available, how will DIRECTV make up for the loss?

We will communicate with you and do what we can to ensure your continued satisfaction and loyalty until the matter is resolved. We will continue to negotiate with Comcast to resolve this matter. In the meantime, you'll still be able to watch plenty of similar sports programming on other channels we carry.

•College football — available on Big Ten Network, CBS College Sports, ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN GamePlan, The Mtn., local channels and your RSN.
•NHL — available on NHL Network, NHL Center Ice, and your RSN.
•Mixed Martial Arts — available on HDNet, Spike TV, and UFC on DIRECTV Pay-Per-View.
•Auto Racing — IRL on ABC, Formula 1 on Fox and Speed
•Bull riding — available on ESPN2 and the Houston Rodeo on DIRECTV Pay-Per-View.
•Hunting and fishing — available on ESPN2, The Sportsman Channel, The Outdoor Channel, and Pursuit TV.
So they will make up for the loss of a channel by communicating, eh? Uhhhh, in fact, I didn't even receive a notification about Versus being removed. The channel just disappeared from my online guide. You actually have to manually tune to the channel (603) to get the message. Oh, and they will make up for the loss of the channel by pointing out that I can watch other channels (that I already pay for) instead. Gosh, thanks.

Cable and Satellite companies drop channels all the time (usually minor ones that people don't notice right away, but sometimes major ones) without saying a word, and without lowering the subscription rates. Interesting, because I had to sign a 2-year contract when I switched to DTV. I wonder how come they don't have to abide by the terms of that contract (i.e., a certain package of channels for a certain price)?

(I like how one of their "alternative options" is Pay Per View. So, you are giving me less, not charging me less, and suggesting that I pay you even more to get back a portion of the content I lost? Well, what could go wrong with that plan?)

Last edited:
Harry,
There is your loophole to get out of the contract. That is exactly how I got out of mine when I did. However I spoke to retention first and wanted to see what they could offer me. I still miss it sometimes.

However this all points back to my thread on why can we not just get ala carte cable? It will never happen, but I really wish it would.

What, no cage fighting or fishing? Don't seem right! I'll stick with cable, expensive, but You go in knowing you will be dispointed, no surprises.

Why not just call and see what they will do for you? I called my cable company and told them that they were charging me too much. They agreed and took $20 off each month. Granted - I don't have a contract, but I'm a firm believer that you never know unless you ask.

What, no cage fighting or fishing? Don't seem right! I'll stick with cable, expensive, but You go in knowing you will be dispointed, no surprises.

Hockey is the big thing. If you are a hockey fan, you're hosed.

Should I switch to DISH or cable?
No. There's no need to consider switching providers. DIRECTV has the best variety of exclusive and premium content available anywhere and we have similar programming on other channels (see above). If you are concerned about NHL, we still have time to negotiate with Comcast before the start of the NHL season. For PBR fans, we offered to carry PBR programming, but PBR events are exclusive to Versus and cannot be made available to DIRECTV.

Well, and rodeo.

My cable provider is thinking about making the Golf Channel a premium channel, instead of part of a bundle. They claim TGC is going to start charging them more to run their programs. :confused2:

My cable provider is thinking about making the Golf Channel a premium channel, instead of part of a bundle. They claim TGC is going to start charging them more to run their programs. :confused2:

Is Comcast your cable provider? That would be very funny.

prov-

That actually might work out in your favor as long as it isn't too much (I can't imagine them charging more than $3/mo for GC). For example, I would get the basic package, except that GC is only included in the middle and higher packages. If GC went to premium, I would change to the basic package and I might save money even with paying a premium for GC.

TGC is charging cable providers more to carry their channel in 2010.

Hockey is the big thing. If you are a hockey fan, you're hosed.

Well, and rodeo.

Dont forget White Tail revolution and the Turkey hunting shows. Plus Bloodsport over and over.

As long as Versus is back on DirecTV before the Tour de France next year it won't bother me.

Dont forget White Tail revolution and the Turkey hunting shows. Plus Bloodsport over and over.

And Tin Cup chopped all to hell.

I hated when TGC and Versus shared the same channel, I'm glad TGC is on their own here as I never watch anything on Versus. We added about 15 HD channels today bringing our total up to about 60 HD channels not counting the premium "movie" channels. I don't think there will be a channel I watch on non-HD now.

I wish I could drop the non-HD channels and the music channels and have a cheaper bill.....

My custom channel package (if I could):

Primary:
ESPN
ESPN2
Golf Channel
Spike
USA
SyFy
TNT
TBS
FX
Comedy
A&E
Bravo
Cartoon
Fuel (snowboarding programming)
Fox Sports NW

Only Because They Have Something on Very Rarely:
ESPN Classic (because they sometimes shift programming there)
ESPNU (1 or 2 college football or baseball games per year that interest me)
Versus (1 or 2 college football games per year that interest me)
Discovery
TLC

So basically, I am paying for 200 channels when all I really want is about 20 channels. Local Channels (approx. 7) are not counted because they are available for free (in HD even!) with an OTA antenna.

Cox Communication. We have the phone, internet, and TV deal with them. They are talking about $15 month just for TGC.

Is Comcast your cable provider? That would be very funny.

I stick with Charter et al for much of the same reason, seems that they and others like them are expensive and huge PIA's but they generally carry the stuff I want to watch.

Plus since I signed up under a promo I get all kinds of HD movie channels for free, though I lose this deal if I move etc.

I wish The Military Channel was a regular bundle tho!

Since someone started the dream list here is mine:

Versus, Spike, History, Military, Discovery, ESPN1 & 2, USA, TNT, SyFy, Food, Cartoon Network, FX, Music only stuff (not mtv et al), local channels plus movie (AMC, AMAX, MAX, STRZ etc) ALL in HD!

Back