The 7 Deadly Sins

Diane

Reaction score
Ok - we've discussed the devil in terms of golf. Let's discuss sin now. Which of the 7 Deadly Sins do you think is the worst? Why do you say that?
  • Greed
  • Gluttony
  • Sloth
  • Lust
  • Pride
  • Envy
  • Anger

Ok - we've discussed the devil in terms of golf. Let's discuss sin now. Which of the 7 Deadly Sins do you think is the worst? Why do you say that?
  • Greed
  • Gluttony
  • Sloth
  • Lust
  • Pride
  • Envy
  • Anger

Greed, Lust, Envy are probably the top 3 in no order.

The 8th, Turkey Bacon. :act-up:

I'd say Anger is the worse sin. Because out of anger you could do anything and not realize what you have exactly done until after the fact.

Envy, jealous people will do anything. To not envy someone anymore.

For example the movie "Envy" with Ben Stiller and Jack Black. Stillers character did a ton of crazy things.

I'd say Anger is the worse sin. Because out of anger you could do anything and not realize what you have exactly done until after the fact.

I agree - actions borne out of anger probably have the most immediate and damaging effects on others than the other six on the list.

Greed, Pride and Envy.

(Gluttony is only a sin if it doesn't involve shrimp cocktail or rib-eyes).

-JP

• Greed
  • Gluttony
  • Sloth
  • Lust
  • Pride
  • Envy
  • Anger

personally I don't see any of those things as sins. All of them are reactions to events around you. You can't control that.

Acting on those impulses is the sin (not that I like that word one little bit) and even then can be a good thing. Envy might drive someone to excel. IMO there's nothing wrong with feeling those things as long as you channel them in the right direction.

By the way, what is wrong with pride anyway? If someone is proud of their child because their child achieves something, how on earth could that possibly be considered evil. And likewise, what's wrong with being proud of yourself if you achieve something you've wanted to achieve (breaking 80 for the first time for example). I never quite got that one.

I'd go with "anger" as a first, and only choice. The others could be good, or bad depending on the circumstances. There is nothing good about anger, except how it is controlled. :clapp:

personally I don't see any of those things as sins. All of them are reactions to events around you. You can't control that.

Acting on those impulses is the sin (not that I like that word one little bit) and even then can be a good thing. Envy might drive someone to excel. IMO there's nothing wrong with feeling those things as long as you channel them in the right direction.

By the way, what is wrong with pride anyway? If someone is proud of their child because their child achieves something, how on earth could that possibly be considered evil. And likewise, what's wrong with being proud of yourself if you achieve something you've wanted to achieve (breaking 80 for the first time for example). I never quite got that one.

I agree with you and I don't really think these things are really "sins" in and of themselves, but I DO think that they can be good "guidelines".

I'd prefer if they were referred to as "The Seven Things You Shouldn't Get Too Carried Away With" (dangling preposition not withstanding).

How's that?

-JP

Greed ... then anger

Well IF you believe in Sin et al, and in God/Satan/Heaven/Hell, then it would stand to reason that any Sin no matter how big/small will seperate you from "God" so I would put it more like all sins are deadly........

Far as pride goes without getting into a huge religious debate there is a big difference in pride/self-vanity etc and being "proud" of your children. Anything that takes the place of God in your life is not good, so in a way being "proud" of your kids could lead to putting one's self aove God.

But when you place God first and foremost in your life and make Him a priority one can also be "proud" or as I would put it EXCITED about how your kids are turning out. I guess all I am trying to say is that context is everything and if pride (bad) is the same as EXCITED about the future and chances then God himself "sinned" because he was proud of his creation in Genesis 1 & 2.

So again IF you are going to make the logical argument that God exists and that HE is all of the omni's (present, powerful, niscient etc) then he could not say His creation "was good" and take pride in it without being the biggest liar in the universe and being one heck of an evil being in making his followers never feel "accomplished and excited" about what they have done/are doing for Him etc.

My one caveat is that if anything (and I mean a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g.) takes the place of the Lord in your life that it is what you worship and since that is not God then you have an idol, so if your "pride" in your children is the end all then it can be a detriment. Difference is selfish pride. Also if you base your life on that "proud-ness" what happens when one of them dares to let you down? It is gonna happen right?

Look up 2 Cor. 5:12 and 2 Cor. 7:1-4 on "good" pride and remember this is Paul writing so he is saying that he is "proud" of the church in Corinth.

What exactly is sloth?

What exactly is sloth?

The guy from Goonies?:confused2:
Spoiler
slot.jpg

I think greed, in excess, has caused more harm in the world than any of the others. Envy may be a close second. Just my 2 cents.

So again IF you are going to make the logical argument that God exists and that HE is all of the omni's (present, powerful, niscient etc) then he could not say His creation "was good" and take pride in it without being the biggest liar in the universe and being one heck of an evil being in making his followers never feel "accomplished and excited" about what they have done/are doing for Him etc.

While I appreciate that this is dangerous ground...

...yes he could. He's omnipotent. He can do anything and everything at a whim.

Could we leave god out of this please - that's a topic for another forum. I just like Hieronymus Bosch - well not all his work, but The Seven Deadly Sins and Ship of Fools.

Hated the Movie "Seven", extremely depressing.

And those so called sins?? They all seem ok to me, well except for sloth. I despise lazy people.

And those so called sins?? They all seem ok to me, well except for sloth. I despise lazy people.

Really - which one is your favorite?

I would have to go with gluttony right now.

What exactly is sloth?

My vote for worst. I really think a big part of life is helping others and making the world a better place. Sloth makes that impossible.

While I appreciate that this is dangerous ground...

...yes he could. He's omnipotent. He can do anything and everything at a whim.

But then he would not be "absolute light" (i.e.- complete abscence of evil) by definition of supreme good/perfection. Sadly we cannot have it both ways, or to put it another way there is no middle ground. Either he is who he says he is (choose to believe or not, no one is forcing you) OR he is the most despicable being EVER. Thus if he is God then by logic he cannot be something opposite.............. The "burden of proof" is on the believer to believe.

Still to stay OT if you are going to define them as sin, and if sin means missing the mark, then missing it by a micron or a mile is still missing, so they are equally reprehensible/bad right?

BTW I do not understand why some think this should never be discussed, it is only though healthy discourse that one learns something, otherwise you just follow.........though for argument's sake I understand why this could be "taboo".......kind of sad though too many have given their all for free speech you know?

Back