Taylormade R9 Irons

haha, I want to see them so bad it's not even funny. It's about time to replace the RAC's

Same here. I've had my RACs a long time! Time for an upgrade!

So if the embargo date is 10/1, pics cant go up until then?

That is correct. Companies ask that we keep those embargo dates because reps and others are out there earning a living selling products that are currently available.

Sounds great. They look awesome and I get wait to get out there and try them.

How many versions of the R9 iron are there going to be? Is there going to be a standard R9 a TP R9 and R9 B iron? What are the Taylor Made blade players going to play?:confused2:

To start with 2 versions. Regular and TP. I am not sure what you mean by blade players? TM's last players irons were the Tour Preferred and those were not blades.

I mean like the irons Sergio Garcia, Pat Perez play. I think they are the Taylor Made TP MB irons in satin or smoke finish?

Those are older irons. They still have them, but they are not part of their new line and have not been in quite a while.

Are those conforming to the new groove rules? Are the tour preferred irons conforming to the new groove rules? I am just curious what irons the players are going to play who played the MB's and tour preferred if they are no longer conforming? Thanks JB

They are not conforming. The R9s are conforming.

I feel like I am a cat chasing its tail. Are the R9 irons going to be the only irons for tour players to choose from for the beginning of the 2010 season?

Not necessarily. We do not know as of yet. But right now the next irons that are coming out are the R9 and R9 TP. Both are truly tremendous to hit.

Hey JB

I saw your top 5 list of irons on the thread. I recently tried the nickents and
I agree that they are really soft when you hit them square just like
butter. I thought the mx-200's were a little harder feeling. It would
be interesting to test out the clevelands since they have that offer
of new irons after 2 years. For the r9's, can you say that they have a
thick top and how was the feeling compared to the niceknts and the mizunos and I guess to the other clubs as well? Thanks

The R9 irons that I am testing now feel very similar to me to the MX-200s. Not quite as soft, but close. The weighting feels great and the shaft (KBS) works very well with the head. The topline seems slightly thicker to the MX-200 irons, but I do not have those in front of me, as I do not own them, so I cannot be sure.

I believe and have said in the past that the Nickent 4DX Pro irons are the softest I have hit this entire year. I stand by that and have hit a whole bunch of irons and they are definitely the softest. However comparing these the R9s to my Clevelands, the R9s are slightly softer. However I do not have the R9 TP and that is more of a matchup compared to the Clevelands I have being that they are the tour model.

Wanted to update this a little after I have played them for over a month now.

Looks - Still love the looks. Slightly larger club head overall compared to my Cleveland CG7 Tours, but that is to be expected from a different kind of iron. Beautiful black on the cavity and overall good looks.

Feel - I said before and I will continue to say it. These feel to me almost as good as any iron I have hit this year. On par with the Mizuno MX-200 and right there with the Nickent 4DX Pro.

Forgiveness - Continues to shine. Out of the rough, catching it a groove or too high on the club face really shows no loss in distance. Toe and heel shots still fly great. Yet you still get great feedback.

Distance - After continuing to play these, it is apparent that these are 1/2 -3/4 of a club longer than my current irons. Almost to where the Burner irons were for me when I tested them out.

Ball Striking - Possibly the best combination of distance, forgiveness, and feel out of the irons I have hit this year. If not at the top, close to the top in the ball striking category for me this year.

Overall - The total package for my game. We have had 6 testers hit them and everybody is giving rave reviews. With as much as I disliked the R7 iron line for my game, these have changed my thoughts on TM irons. Smooth feeling and ample forgiveness.

Those sound awesome! I can't wait for the embargo date.

Me neither Seth. The way I can sum it up is that they look normal, but they are obviously packed with technology. I have made my list of 09 top irons, and these would be at or near the top if they were to be in that list.

now I'm drooling........

I can't wait to see them - might be on my Christmas list - I love my TM Burner irons......

JB, what would say a handicap range for the R9's would be? Is the sole width/offset, etc. similar to the R7's...I currently have the R7's and like them so I'm guessing I would like the R9's from what I've read...is the shaft considered an upgrade over the T-Step 90 in the R7's?

They are considered game improvement irons, however I will say that they are not the thickest I have seen in the top line area. However they feel like players irons with the feedback you get. The shaft is definitely a step up as the KBS shaft feels perfectly married to the clubhead unlike most irons I have seen in the stock variety.

Sounds absolutely perfect for my game. I just picked up a set of the Wilson Staff Ci7 irons (need to update my sig). Based on your description, I imagine these are going to be similar in size, looks and play. Played with them for the first time yesterday. They are slightly larger, slightly thinner topline, and a half club longer than my Callys. More forgiving but also provide very good feel.

If I hadn't picked these up, I would be waiting for the R9s to hit the market.

In my mind, and this is going by memory, the Ci7's have a thinner topline than that of the R9s. They are more a true players cavity. They would be more in tuned with the R9 TP I am guessing. However, again, this is strictly going off memory. Great clubs though.

Thanks JB. I now see that you mentioned the R9 topline was maybe slightly thicker than the MX200s. I think that would make it thicker than the Ci7. One of the things I was looking for was to reduce the topline thickness. So you're probably right, I would probably be looking more closely at the R9 TP. But I must say I'm all for more forgiveness. In any case, I will certainly look at both when they hit the street, even if it's just to satisfy my curiosity.

It seems to me the club choices available today are the best they have ever been. It's a great time to be in the market for new irons.

Agreed. I was quite critical of the R7 line and TM has made me a believer with this one.

Back