Southwest has a new fee

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Southwest Adds Charge to Board Sooner

Your bags still fly for free on Southwest Airlines, but if you want a better chance at a window or aisle seat it's going to cost $10 each way.

Southwest announced Wednesday that customers can pay extra to reserve a spot in the boarding line right behind elite fliers and ahead of families and other travelers. Unlike other airlines, Southwest doesn't offer assigned seats.

The new offering comes after Southwest introduced new fees for minors traveling alone and for bringing a small pet on board. Southwest still doesn't charge to check the first two bags, but experts and regular passengers are starting to wonder if that's next.

Southwest, like other airlines, is desperately looking for revenue to offset a slump in traffic, especially among business travelers who usually pay higher fares for last-minute or refundable tickets.

The Dallas-based discount airline lost $37 million in the first six months of this year, and analysts expect that 2009 will be its first unprofitable year since the early 1970s.

Many analysts believe Southwest is passing up hundreds of millions of dollars a year by not charging passengers for all checked bags. CEO Gary Kelly has said bag fees drive customers away, and he has ruled them out at least through the end of 2009. No promises beyond that.

Southwest officials say they're just charging for extra services that customers want.

"The big difference between (the check-in service) and a bag fee is this is strictly optional," said Kevin Krone, Southwest's vice president of marketing.

Southwest is considering other amenities with charges, including in-flight Internet service.

"We'll continue to tinker and develop and launch," Krone said. "We're not done yet."

The airline believes the early check-in charge can raise about $75 million a year, on par with Business Select tickets, which cost more but come with extras such as early boarding and a free drink. "We'd be thrilled if it became in the hundreds of millions," Krone said.

Bob McAdoo, an analyst for Avondale Partners, is more bullish. He believes the boarding charge could raise $250 million a year. It could bring in enough money for the rest of 2009 to salvage a profitable year, he said.

McAdoo estimates that one-fourth of Southwest passengers could pay the check-in fee. Southwest declined to give an estimate.

The new $10 fee is called EarlyBird Check-in, and it was made available Wednesday for trips beginning Thursday and beyond.

Customers can pay the charge up to 25 hours before their plane is scheduled to take off, and they'll be moved toward the front of the boarding line.

The early birds will still wait behind passengers who bought more costly tickets called Business Select and elite-level frequent fliers, but they'll leapfrog over everyone else, even families traveling with small children, and they should find plenty of space in the overhead bins for their carryon luggage.

Southwest officials say that by paying the extra $10, you'll probably be among the first 30 people to board — the "A" group — although they won't promise it.

Families board next, then "B" passengers, and the last group to board Southwest planes is the "C" group. Folks in that group are usually stuck in a middle seat; Southwest's Boeing 737 jets have three seats on each side of the center aisle.

Experienced Southwest travelers go to the company's Web site precisely 24 hours before scheduled departure to be among the first to check in. They'll still be able to do that, but they may find themselves far from the front of the line.

That's good enough for Beverly Nageotte, an artist from Cloudcroft, N.M., who was waiting at Dallas Love Field for a flight back home. She said people would be silly to pay $10 extra.

"You're not going to go anywhere until everyone's on the plane anyway," she said. "I'm happy to get on the plane and hope it takes off and lands safely."

Dallas lawyer Ed Cloutman said $10 would be a bargain for harried consumers.

"Getting stuck in the middle seat is no fun," he said.

Steve Kennedy, a banker from Houston who often flies Southwest to Dallas, recalled that during its freewheeling youth in the 1970s Southwest made a splash by charging more for tickets but threw in a complimentary bottle of liquor.

"I understand in this day probably the best they can do is move you ahead in line instead of giving you a fifth," he said. "Corporations don't like that anymore."

I saw this blurb yesterday....I think it's stoopid for anyone to pay this fee, esp with Southwest. As long as you get in the A boarding group there will be plenty of aisle/window seats avail

For some people - $10 extra dollars makes a huge difference. I have a problem with this - To be honest, I'd probably pay it, but still think it's wrong.

I saw this blurb yesterday....I think it's stoopid for anyone to pay this fee, esp with Southwest. As long as you get in the A boarding group there will be plenty of aisle/window seats avail

I agree completely! :alien2:

SWA needs wider isles, or slimmer flight attendents:D

Whenever I fly, it's on Southwest. At least in the last 5 years. I won't pay the ten bucks because I always get in the "A" group. I don't think it's that big a deal for them to do this, if people pay it they must really want it. I'm more amazed that you still get one free bag, let alone two.

• Admin
However if everybody pays it, then being in the A group will give you squat. Their tix were always the cheapest because they hedged on the gas. A brilliant business move at the time, that has killed them this year. Their prices are higher than the other big lines right now in most cases.

In some cases, yes. But booking for Jacqui's flight to California this weekend it wasn't even close. Add the baggage fees and it's even farther apart. Granted, I have only flown from KC to Oakland in those 5 years. Perhaps that particular destination is cheaper than the industry average.

One plus about Southwest: No cancellation/change fees. You might pay more because of a fare difference, but you might also pay less. You aren't charged 50 or 100 bucks just to change a flight.

The small dog fee: before they had a fee, they didn't even allow you to bring one.

When I fly which is quite a bit, I always get an aisle seat. Everyone else wants those window seats. Aisle seats make getting up, and stretching on longer flights very easy. Also less bothersome to others. $10 fee is not something I would use.

I've never flown SWA, and refuse to. Between the cattle-call boarding system and the bad press they received about either humiliating or refusing to allow travellers to board due to their clothing, I'll spend my money (and the company's) on a different airline.

I've only heard of the one incident (which I assume you are referring to: the short skirt). No other airline has made a bad decision? And yes, I thought it was stupid for them to do. What are some of the others?

I've only heard of the one incident (which I assume you are referring to: the short skirt). No other airline has made a bad decision? And yes, I thought it was stupid for them to do. What are some of the others?

I'm sorry, I agreed with SWA on that. The chick was wearing a miniskirt and no underwear. And while I might appreciate that on a personal level, it was grossly inappropriate when children were around. Or, for that matter, anyone who doesn't care to see that kind of thing in public.

She (a Hooter's waitress) was complaining and suing just for the money. Right after it happened, I predicted that she would be posing naked for a magazine within 6 months. She did.

No.Sympathy.

I'm sorry, I agreed with SWA on that. The chick was wearing a miniskirt and no underwear. And while I might appreciate that on a personal level, it was grossly inappropriate when children were around. Or, for that matter, anyone who doesn't care to see that kind of thing in public.

I don't remember ever reading that she had gone commando beneath the skirt. If she was, then I agree with making her cover up. But the outfit and pictures I've seen from her appearances didn't look that bad.

That was the most publicized.

There was also a lady from WA booted for a tshirt she wore:
Southwest boots woman for shirt - CNN

And a Florida guy who was forced to change his shirt or be thrown off the plane:
Southwest Airlines makes Florida man change his tshirt - LA Times

I'm sorry, I agree with SWA on those too.

If you don't enforce some sort of minimum standards (even on cheap airlines), people will show up wearing stuff like this:

People of Walmart: a collection of all the creatures that grace us with their presence at Walmart, America's favorite store.

It's one thing to pass by that on the street, but do you want to sit next to this for 3 hours?:

Spoiler
361.jpg

or this

Spoiler
281.jpg

Because that is what would show up if someone didn't draw the line somewhere.

There's going to be problems with any airline Osahar. You have to have an assigned seat. Lots of people do. There have never been any issues with your airline(s) of choice? And the more I look into what you posted and the short skirt incident, perhaps I was too quick to say it was stupid on Southwest's part.

I don't remember ever reading that she had gone commando beneath the skirt. If she was, then I agree with making her cover up. But the outfit and pictures I've seen from her appearances didn't look that bad.

She claimed she wasn't, but the flight attendant and some passengers indicated otherwise.

And having known a few flight attendants, the LAST thing they want is trouble. Unless something is really out of whack, they just want to get the passengers on, sit 'em down, then get them off. No muss, no fuss.

Issues like these, never. I've had some odd delays due to weather, and some suitcases that have caught up with me a day or three after arriving at my destination.

The pictures Harry posted were frightening - couldn't imagine sitting next to either of those for a flight - but that's the old "no shirts, no shoes" policy. I have no issue if you want to wear a shirt that is funny or makes a political statement. If I don't like it, I just need to look elsewhere or get over it.

I personally have never had a problem on any Southwest flight. Similar to one previously mentioned, nor of any kind other than delays or a rough flight.

Are you saying that because you have never had any "incidents" on any flights you have taken on your airlines means they never happen on your airlines? That it's only isolated to Southwest? Maybe it is. Maybe Southwest is the only airline with the cajones to do something when something like this comes up?

I have no issue if you want to wear a shirt that is funny or makes a political statement. If I don't like it, I just need to look elsewhere or get over it.

But would you want kids to be forced to stare at a "Meet the F*ckers" (without the courtesy of the asterisk) t-shirt for 3 hours?

Again, I'm sorry, but those people lacked both common sense and common courtesy. They deserved to be forced to change. Actually, they deserve more than that. They were lucky that's all they got.

so....SWA being a private company..
dont they have the right to refuse service to anyone??

not quite sure how that rule works...

I always buy the business class ticket for early boarding and the fact that you can change it around. So the fee will be on top of that?

I think it's more for people who don't buy the Business Select tickets.

You can change around the regular priced tickets too. But I think the Business Select tickets are always refundable where sometimes with the regular fares you take a credit.
(One thing I did find out though, is if you get the Ding Fares, you can't just change one of those flights. you have to change both the outgoing and returning)

Oh well, Southwest is what it is. I just hate the middle seat.

Oh well, Southwest is what it is. I just hate the middle seat.

Why then you get to meet two great new people. And if you hit if off maybe one of them will be flying home with you. :laughing: Middle seats suck no matter what airline you are on. I've flown SWA a few times and I have to say it's one of my favorite lines to fly.

Back