Tiger needs an attitude adjustment

BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
NORTON, Mass. -- It had the look and sound of surprise volcanic eruption, full of colorful molten lava, steam and smoking ash. Except that the cleanup was marginally easier.

An overheated Tiger Woods, who has been known to vent his anger with bursts of spontaneous fury that make grown men wince, women cover their ears and children cower, angrily spiked his driver into the ground in frustration on the fifth tee, which was only the beginning of the story.

As his tee ball sailed into an unplayable lie at the Deutsche Bank Championship, Woods' driver itself also headed for parts best left unexplored -- a wetlands area filled with waist-high grass and water situated near the tee box.

While playing one of his weakest rounds in memory, Woods had missed four consecutive birdie putts from inside 13 feet as he stood on the fifth tee, his 14th hole of the day. Then he shoved his drive dead right into the trees and violently flung his mercurial driver clubhead-first into the turf and was darned lucky it didn't snap off at the hosel.

The club sprung several feet into the air and spiraled into in a wetlands area several yards away, where caddie Steve Williams spent several awkward moments looking for the club as his boss strolled past, still fuming. Luckily, the grip of the club was spotted sticking up out of the weeds, and Williams used Woods' trademark Tiger driver headcover to deflect the sticker branches away from himself as he waded 10 or 15 feet into the hazard to retrieve the club.

Moreover, as Woods spiked the club, he screamed two coarse and unprintable expletives at himself, followed by, "release the club." He meant at the point of impact, of course, not after the ball was long gone. He had no problem accomplishing the latter.

Even by Woods standards, it was an unusually incendiary moment, though it was seen by only a handful of witnesses. The fifth tee box is located about 60 yards from the nearest point where fans are allowed access, so outside of two media outlets, players and their caddies, and a member of the Norton Police Department, few saw the outburst. There were no TV or still photographers nearby.

"I didn't feel good over any shot today and didn't drive it very good, hit my irons worse and didn't make any putts," he said. "Other than that, it was a good day."

Thus, the incident on the No. 5 tee was borne of sheer frustration, one of several unhappy moments in the first round.

"How about every hole?" Woods said.

He almost lost his ball and his driver. The tee shot sailed into a wooded area wide of the gallery ropes and Woods had to take an unplayable-lie penalty, then scrambled to salvage a bogey on the hole.

Longtime Woods watchers had never seen the world No. 1 snap to that degree before.

"No, I never have, either," playing partner Steve Stricker said. "I know he wasn't happy with how he was playing and was running a little hot at times. But he gutted it out, somehow."

That's one of the most amazing parts of the Woods persona, if not his aura. Nobody should forgive the moments when he goes off his coil, and he has joked with friends in the past that he is the most heavily fined player on the PGA Tour as a result, but somehow, those incidents invariably prove cathartic.

Woods occasionally vents venom and vitriol, and then it's gone forever. Many players seethe for an hour after a bad shot or round-wrecking hole. Woods vents his steam, then goes right goes back to taking scalps and winning trophies. In an odd way, the anger-management issues often seem to inflame his passion to succeed, too.

"That's what's impressive," Stricker said. "I know he was mad. But he still guts it out, gets it around, shoots under par, and he's still got a chance. He's still in the game."

Clearly, nobody is making excuses for him, but some of the Woods outburst might be attributable to fatigue. He's playing for the fifth time in six weeks and has committed to play next week's event in Chicago, too. That's as busy as any stretch in his career.

Moreover, he's been in contention ever week in that span, finishing first or second in his past four starts, which can take an emotional and physical toll, since every shot matters. Woods seemed almost subdued, if not somewhat worn down, after the round.

"Long stretch," Woods said. "Most of this year I've been in contention, so it's not just the last few weeks. Being in contention, you have to deal with a lot of different things, pre round, post round. It just adds to it."

Inside the ropes, Stricker never knows what to say when Woods loses his cool, so he usually just keeps his distance. Almost without fail, Woods purges, then binges on more birdies.

Stricker said that last week at The Barclays, where he was paired with the world No. 1 in the first two rounds, Woods whacked a wild drive about 50 yards offline on the short 16th hole, a reachable par-4 that had yielded dozens of birdies. Somehow, the smoldering Woods salvaged a par.

After they hit their tee shots on the 17th, Woods smirked, his anger having subsided, and said to the silent Stricker, "I tied ya."

"He seems to get over it pretty quick," Stricker laughed.

For the fellas in the FedEx series, that's bad news indeed. Woods often gets mad.

Then he gets even.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/12158296

All that makes Stricker's round even more impressive.

Kevin

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2yYTKP_xwtI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2yYTKP_xwtI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

"Golfer gets mad at poor shot, swears and throws club in anger"

Gee, like THAT'S never happened before.
It's something that occurs on virtually every golf course in the world on any given Sunday. And this is news because...?

Much ado about nothing, if you ask me.

What else ya' got?

-JP

"Golfer gets mad at poor shot, swears and throws club in anger"

Gee, like THAT'S never happened before.
It's something that occurs on virtually every golf course in the world on any given Sunday. And this is news because...?

Much ado about nothing, if you ask me.

What else ya' got?

-JP
Really,you see nothing wrong? He is the worlds best golfer and many kids look up to him.

It's one thing to get angry and frustrated,but to act like a child and throw clubs all over the place is just plain wrong.

I don't recall watching Jack Nicklaus or hear stories of ben Hogan throwing clubs and acting foolish.

Really,you see nothing wrong? He is the worlds best golfer and many kids look up to him.

It's one thing to get angry and frustrated,but to act like a child and throw clubs all over the place is just plain wrong.

I don't recall watching Jack Nicklaus or hear stories of ben Hogan throwing clubs and acting foolish.

Agree, my old man would walk me off the course as a young fella if / when I threw a club in anger.
His reasons we're:

A. It's a priviledge to be able to play this game
B. Equipment costs money and is to be appreciated
C. It's not the clubs fault but the wally swinging it.

You cannot say for sure if Nicklaus or Hogan were doing this because they did not have the media on them for every shot and every swing. While I do not condone it, times are different.

I'd rather explain to my kids about sportsmanship of throwing clubs or tell them that foul language is not acceptable than anything else. If this is Tiger at his worst for kids looking up to him I'll take it.

I really don't think I can worry about the splinter in Tiger's eye until I remove the log from my own. I am getting better!

I don't care if Tiger throws clubs. If a parent is bothered by their children seeing that, why not take the opportunity to teach their children by using Tiger as an example of what not to do.

I don't care if Tiger throws clubs. If a parent is bothered by their children seeing that, why not take the opportunity to teach their children by using Tiger as an example of what not to do.

You should care.It's totally unprofessional and bad mannerisms.

Kids will be like-No, If Tiger can do it,so can I

I've said from day one that the thing I like best about Tiger is that he wears his heart on his sleeve and he doesn't stifle his emotions. I think that is a far more healthy way to handle things and a far better lesson for "The Children" than allowing the opinions of others dictate how he should act or respond to an emotional situation.

The way I look at things is that worrying about how others are going to judge me is the last thing on my mind when I say what's on my mind. This is especially true when a response is triggered by an emotion.

I think that people spend far too much time trying to shield their children (or themselves) from what is real or genuine (such as emotions) and when someone like Tiger comes along and freely expresses his emotions, it makes those people uncomfortable not because of what he says, but because he has the unabashed ability to say it without worrying about who'll "judge" him for it.

I have trouble being understood by others sometimes for the same reasons. It's not that they don't understand what I'm saying or doing, or that they even disagree with me, but rather it's because they feel uncomfortable dealing with someone like me who is as forthright and unashamed to let my feelings be known. Tiger encounters similar reactions to what he does for similar reasons. That's probably why I identify with him so much.

-JP

As far as looking up to professional athletes, Tiger would be one of the best choices. He works hard, devotes countless time to charities, etc... If your child is going to choose an athlete as a role model, there are few that are better than Tiger.

As far as looking up to professional athletes, Tiger would be one of the best choices. He works hard, devotes countless time to charities, etc... If your child is going to choose an athlete as a role model, there are few that are better than Tiger.

Lefty - You're a bit rude on here sometimes - isn't that also bad manners? However, I don't care about that either.

You focused only on the first part of my post. I think JB is right - there is enough good about Tiger that really outweighs any bad. I figure he's under a lot of pressure so I don't take offense at his club throwing - he's human after all.

Look at the top athletes in team sports and tell me any one of them that you would rather have as a role model than Tiger Woods?

NBA - Kobe - I do not even need to go into this one. (Rape case) Lebron - Maybe, but just as bad as Tiger with temper it seems on the court.

MLB - Just look at the best hitters over the last decade. It seems more cheated than did not cheat. The best hitter and best pitcher over the last 20 years were already caught.

NFL - Again, I dont think I even need to go into the problems that are well documented.

There are exceptions to these obviously, but Tiger is better than most of them.

Lefty - You're a bit rude on here sometimes - isn't that also bad manners? However, I don't care about that either.

You focused only on the first part of my post. I think JB is right - there is enough good about Tiger that really outweighs any bad. I figure he's under a lot of pressure so I don't take offense at his club throwing - he's human after all.

I don't know how that's rude.You stated you don't care and I said you should care. Don't see the rudeness

I've said from day one that the thing I like best about Tiger is that he wears his heart on his sleeve and he doesn't stifle his emotions. I think that is a far more healthy way to handle things and a far better lesson for "The Children" than allowing the opinions of others dictate how he should act or respond to an emotional situation.

The way I look at things is that worrying about how others are going to judge me is the last thing on my mind when I say what's on my mind. This is especially true when a response is triggered by an emotion.

I think that people spend far too much time trying to shield their children (or themselves) from what is real or genuine (such as emotions) and when someone like Tiger comes along and freely expresses his emotions, it makes those people uncomfortable not because of what he says, but because he has the unabashed ability to say it without worrying about who'll "judge" him for it.

I have trouble being understood by others sometimes for the same reasons. It's not that they don't understand what I'm saying or doing, or that they even disagree with me, but rather it's because they feel uncomfortable dealing with someone like me who is as forthright and unashamed to let my feelings be known. Tiger encounters similar reactions to what he does for similar reasons. That's probably why I identify with him so much.

-JP

There are better ways to blow off steam in front of the whole world that is watching then to throw clubs and look like a fool.
I'm ok with getting mad,Anger is what fuels us in wanting to improve.I disagree with acting like a crying baby and throwing clubs.

Look at the top athletes in team sports and tell me any one of them that you would rather have as a role model than Tiger Woods?

NBA - Kobe - I do not even need to go into this one. (Rape case) Lebron - Maybe, but just as bad as Tiger with temper it seems on the court.

MLB - Just look at the best hitters over the last decade. It seems more cheated than did not cheat. The best hitter and best pitcher over the last 20 years were already caught.

NFL - Again, I dont think I even need to go into the problems that are well documented.

There are exceptions to these obviously, but Tiger is better than most of them.

For me,I don't care what other athletes in other sports do especially Basketball and football.2 sports that have been ruined by showboating. MLB-Still one of my favorites and as far as those cheaters.How is it cheating if it wasn't banned by MLB? Those players followed the rules of the sport and I have no issues with what they did.

There are better ways to blow off steam in front of the whole world that is watching then to throw clubs and look like a fool.
I'm ok with getting mad,Anger is what fuels us in wanting to improve.I disagree with acting like a crying baby and throwing clubs.

That's your opinion and you certainly have a right to that opinion. All I'm saying is that there are probably as many ways to react to a given situation as there are people on this planet and Tiger's way just happens to be one of them. Whether he's "right" or "wrong" is up to the person observing that reaction.

For me, any reaction is fine as long as it's genuine. If he were reacting as he does in a gratuitous sense or to get attention or to garner sympathy, then I'd be right there with many others in criticizing him. But I think that his reactions are real and have more to do with his perfectionist ways and the demands he places on his abilities than they do with any sort of "notice me" or "pity me" reasons. His ire is directed at himself and I think he'd have the same reactions even if he was playing all alone with no one but the birds to witness his play.

In another sense, his outbursts can be used as a tool and in an instructional way by demonstrating to others that while it's OK to get mad at yourself for a less that desired performance, it's also good to simply get rid of the immediate anger and use the rest of that emotional energy to focus on and execute the next task, than it would be to bottle up those emotions which , in my opinion, is far more destructive in the long run.

So in that sense, Tiger makes a fine example of how to get the most out of an emotional outburst.

-JP

Back