Using Hybrid as a driver?

clg82

Banned
Reaction score
Well I played a full 18 yesterday and forgot my 5 wood at home, so decided to tee up and use my Hybrid. I hit it onto or near the green everytime. Is this unusual to use the hybrid as a driver? What other purposes do you use your hybrid for? Or do you only use it on the fairway?

I use my hybrid off the tee quite a bit, but it all depends on distances. If I am playing a par 4 that is 400 plus yards, I never even think of using a hybrid.

Explain this a little more please.

LOL not sure if that was a joke or what. But hitting my hybrid off of the tee got me on the green or near it.............

I htink LB was asking about what type of holes you were playing. Were they 500 yard par 5s? 125 yard par 3s? etc...

LOL not sure if that was a joke or what. But hitting my hybrid off of the tee got me on the green or near it.............

I think he was confused by the on or near the green as related to distances you were hitting for said results.

LOL oh I got it now.....sorry they were par 3's i thought i put those in my original post!

I was thinking you needed to back up from the senior tees there, hahaha

Nope lol i'm sure that is what everyone thought when I first posted this lol

Thanks for clearing that up. :D

I probably use my hybrid more off the tee boxes than I do from the fairways. I find it very effective on a tight driving hole. Distance isn't really a problem at my home course (18 hole 6000 yards) so the distance lost isn't really all that penal.

I'll use my hybrid from the tee box and/or fairway - depending on the distance and shot I'm looking for. I've used it on long par 3's, layups on par 5's or on par 4 dog legs.

I'll use my hybrid from the tee box and/or fairway - depending on the distance and shot I'm looking for. I've used it on long par 3's, layups on par 5's or on par 4 dog legs.

+1....I've found it's a great bunker club as well

I hit a hybrid off the tee the other day on a 208 yard par 3. It left me about 10 yards short of the green. But that beats being 20 yards or more past the green with the 3w or even shorter hitting the 4i. I've learned I have to tee the ball very low or not at all to get any kind of distance out of the hybrid.

I use my (1- hybrid)16 degree Cobra Baffler on short par fours and also as my 3-wood on par fives, long par 3's etc. I don't carry a 3-wood as the shorter hybrid is easier to hit for me and more consistant.

I have the following: 1, 2, & 3 Cobra Baffler hybrids and then 4 - sw, lw Cobra UFI Irons and then of course my R9 9.5 Driver = 14 total clubs.

I resisted buying hybrids for a while, then I had one basically given to me so I thought I would try it out. Once I learned how to hit it right I realized that it is very good for certain trouble shots and very reliable from everywhere else. It is not my favorite club yet but it is close.

I hit a hybrid off the tee the other day on a 208 yard par 3. It left me about 10 yards short of the green. But that beats being 20 yards or more past the green with the 3w or even shorter hitting the 4i. I've learned I have to tee the ball very low or not at all to get any kind of distance out of the hybrid.

I noticed this as well. When teeing it up on the tee as i usually do with the driver it was way too high!

I've stopped using a tee when hitting a hybrid off the box. Just like an iron, I have to hit the ball first with a desending swing or I will shove the ball left. Around 175 yds seem's great for my 4h, or up to 210 for my 3. I just wish I could find one for that 150ish range for when the winds in my favor and tee's are pushed up.

It's crazy how straight these things fly and how soft they will land. Seem's like cheating...

I use my hybrid on the tee on short par 4's, long par 3's, second shots on long par 4's, par 5's, and out of fairway bunkers sometimes.

Back