The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

PHEW! The sellers just agreed to pay for the chimney repairs. A bit of a compromise as I'm stuck with the minor fixes to the furnace and dealing with carpenter bees, but that was the last thing holding up my end of the deal. Just waiting on my lender to get a bank appraisal and then let me know my mortgage is all set. Hoping we're still on track to close March 18th!

PHEW! The sellers just agreed to pay for the chimney repairs. A bit of a compromise as I'm stuck with the minor fixes to the furnace and dealing with carpenter bees, but that was the last thing holding up my end of the deal. Just waiting on my lender to get a bank appraisal and then let me know my mortgage is all set. Hoping we're still on track to close March 18th!

Good news! At least you don't have to get hit with that big bill for the repairs on the chimney!

Good news! At least you don't have to get hit with that big bill for the repairs on the chimney!

that would have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I've already put aside about $10K for repairs/upgrades right up front.

Awesome news. Hopefully they'll get you in by then. Yours got pushed back a couple of times.

We just closed on ours & got the keys. We were thinking about staying in the house tonight but we're going to load a bunch of stuff of in the morning & make a weekend of it. Our furniture & the rest of our stuff should be here the end of next week.

I don't know how I missed this! Congrats man, that is awesome!

Its been a few weeks since my last update, but I just cleared the last hurdle - final bank approval! Locked in my interest rate (which was a bit higher than I was hoping) and am set to close on Monday, March 25th. I'll be making some little updates and tweaks during the week, and then getting a moving truck for the Saturday before Easter. Get to watch the Masters in my new house!!!!

Its amazing how much variance there is in the home finance market. We received 2 GFEs, same interest rate, no points, over $5K difference in total closing costs. Unreal.

New to the thread here... Selling my house in one place and looking to buy in Gainesville, FL. These are two totally different markets. My current market has maintained a good level, dropping only 5% since 2007 in value. The Gainesville market has dropped 34% since 2007 in value. The sellers in Gainesville are asking above 2007 prices which they paid, trying to recoup their losses. So they are asking people to buy a house that as soon as they buy it, it will drop more than 1/3 in value. How ridiculous is that?! It is very frustrating to deal with these people. Even more frustrating to deal with the realtors who make false claims about the market and cherry pick the comps so that they only choose the high priced ones. Feels like they talk to each other and try to set the prices of the houses. None of them are buyer's agents, all are transactional agents. What a pain in the you know what!

New to the thread here... Selling my house in one place and looking to buy in Gainesville, FL. These are two totally different markets. My current market has maintained a good level, dropping only 5% since 2007 in value. The Gainesville market has dropped 34% since 2007 in value. The sellers in Gainesville are asking above 2007 prices which they paid, trying to recoup their losses. So they are asking people to buy a house that as soon as they buy it, it will drop more than 1/3 in value. How ridiculous is that?! It is very frustrating to deal with these people. Even more frustrating to deal with the realtors who make false claims about the market and cherry pick the comps so that they only choose the high priced ones. Feels like they talk to each other and try to set the prices of the houses. None of them are buyer's agents, all are transactional agents. What a pain in the you know what!

Sounds like you need a new agent in Gainesville. Have you researched through Angies List or a service like HomeCircle?

ddxu,
We have tried three different agents, but because they are not contracting with you as a buyer's agent they do not have any incentive to advocate for you as the buyer. So they try to get the prices as high as possible and that sucks. All the realtors are pains in the butt and seem shady. We did try the route of not using an agent and just calling the listing agents. We have a lawyer and do our own contracts for offers and such. So I really do not need an agent. When we did this we got attitude from the listing agents which I cannot understand since it means they get all the 6% commission and do not have to split it at all. They really do not make sense.

ddxu,
We have tried three different agents, but because they are not contracting with you as a buyer's agent they do not have any incentive to advocate for you as the buyer. So they try to get the prices as high as possible and that sucks. All the realtors are pains in the butt and seem shady. We did try the route of not using an agent and just calling the listing agents. We have a lawyer and do our own contracts for offers and such. So I really do not need an agent. When we did this we got attitude from the listing agents which I cannot understand since it means they get all the 6% commission and do not have to split it at all. They really do not make sense.

Man that sucks. Ive bought in 3 parts of the country now and that jsut seems odd to me. Granted, they were all in the midwest & rockies, but still. Why are you moving to the area? Job? Friends? Maybe your company or friends know someone they can refer you to or trust? I'm at a loss about what else to do...

I know! We have bought and sold in two other parts of the country and had no problems like this. We are selling our house now and have priced it appropriately less than we paid, since we bought in 2007. I have no issue with taking the loss, I want to minimize it of course. But I understand the market and that is just the way it is. I would like to shoot par every round...but I understand my game and know it ain't gonna happen! LOL.

I'll bet the midwest is a bit friendlier too. We went and looked in Denver/Boulder area and people were much nicer. Loved the clean mountain air! Plus my drives were longer at altitude! Nice!

Well fellas I just signed over my life and the house is mine. A little formality over $527 left me pissed off during closing but I am over it now I think (of course a beer helped :D). Going to move a few loads than work this afternoon and finished up moving tonight and tomorrow. Cheers to me

Boom! House and truck.
aqe6ujyd.jpg

Nice JJ! We close this coming Wednesday!

We are selling now, been on the market since October. Lots of showings, one lowball offer. So frustrating

Congrats JJ! Are you going to have to change your license plate? I love the way SD does them.

Congrats JJ! Are you going to have to change your license plate? I love the way SD does them.

Na, you don't have to get a new plate if you switch counties if you don't want to. Which is nice.

Thanks everyone.. I was pretty pissed this morning but am excited to get moved in the next day or so!

New to this thread. I moved back home after college (broke college student syndrome). Mom got re-married, and we are looking to all move. Me and my step-dad are huge car enthusiasts, and we race also, so we need a house with a big garage. We currently have a 4 car, and between daily drivers, racing, and motor cycles, it's nowhere near enough. We've been trying to find an old fire house or something along those lines, and then would put lifts in. If anyone knows of any old fire houses for sale in the greater Chicagoland area, please let me know. We're not having much luck finding anything at the moment.

Dan

New to this thread. I moved back home after college (broke college student syndrome). Mom got re-married, and we are looking to all move. Me and my step-dad are huge car enthusiasts, and we race also, so we need a house with a big garage. We currently have a 4 car, and between daily drivers, racing, and motor cycles, it's nowhere near enough. We've been trying to find an old fire house or something along those lines, and then would put lifts in. If anyone knows of any old fire houses for sale in the greater Chicagoland area, please let me know. We're not having much luck finding anything at the moment.

Dan

thought you were moving to cali?

Congrats Jesse! Now time to get the man cave going!

Congrats Jesse! Now time to get the man cave going!

It's on the list, but space is limited. I gotta get through the workday first!!

There is a golf course down here that used to be quite popular, Forrest Lakes Golf and CC. It fell on hard times and shut down. A company just purchased the land and is renovating the entire course to reopen it next year.

My wife found a house that she loves, and it's on the course that will be redone and reopened next year.

This excites me.

Back