Cabrera Feeds Caddies

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
Masters champion Angel Cabrera gives back to caddies - PGA Tour Coverage | Golf Channel

Masters champion Angel Cabrera gives back to caddies
By DOUG FERGUSON
Associated Press
Posted: September 8, 2009

LEMONT, Ill. – At most PGA Tour events, caddies can find a good meal in the “Caddywagon,” a trailer that essentially serves as a diner on wheels. Whether it’s eggs and bacon at breakfast or a burger and fries at lunch, the cost is usually under $5.

The exception was last week at the Deutsche Bank Championship.

It was free.

Masters champion Angel Cabrera walked into the Caddywagon at the TPC Boston and put an entire week of caddie meals on his tab. It was a particularly busy week because the wagon was parked conveniently next to the driving range, accessible to caddies and equipment agents. Cabrera settled up Sunday night, declining to say how much it cost.

“It’s not important,” he said.

The caddie whose player won the previous week typically will pick up the tab for one meal (breakfast or lunch), a tradition that has been around almost as long as the Caddywagon. But a player paying for an entire week?

“That’s unheard of,” said Chuck Mohr, the looper for Bob Estes.

Cabrera simply said the gesture was overdue. After winning the Masters, he said he “wanted to give the guys a present,” but his playing schedule on the PGA and European tours didn’t allow him an opportunity sooner.

“It is customary in Argentina that when you win a tournament, you invite the caddies to dinner,” said Cabrera, who started out as a caddie himself. “I was just waiting for the right time.”

Dale McElyea, president of the Professional Caddies Association, runs the trailer and was surprised by the gesture. He said players often pick up the tab for a day (Stewart Cink), and Robert Garrigus once paid for three days.

“No one has ever done this for a week,” McElyea said. “And this has been a busy week.”

A couple of caddies estimated the bill at close to $5,000, which can be considered a drop in the bucket for a guy who will end up making about $3 million in tournament earnings this year. Like Cabrera, they said it wasn’t about money.

“It was an incredibly nice gesture,” said Jim Mackay, who works for Phil Mickelson.

That is a very classy move.

It's nice to see Cabrera remembers his roots.

good stuff

Cabrera is a true champion. Any player who shares their good fortune is a class act. Especially when they can't write it off on their taxes. Players get all the accolades, both good, and bad, but caddies are the true work horses, and a very important part of the game.

I have always liked Cabrera and now I have even more cause to do so. Great gesture.

Nice gesture!

Very good move. Not unlike Lorena Ochoa and groundscrews.

Like Arnie he used to be a caddie, and still connects with average people. Great gesture on his part. I am sure the caddies all appreciated it even Steve Williams who might have more money than Cabrera. Wonder if Williams eats at the trailer with the little people - anyone know?

Very classy move. :good:

Yea, wouldn't want Bones or Stevie to have to cough up $5 out of the mega $$ they are pulling down:bicker:

I agree it's a nice gesture on Angels part, but this is akin to Tom Cruise paying for lunch for his co-stars in whatever film they are making at the time.

Yea, wouldn't want Bones or Stevie to have to cough up $5 out of the mega $$ they are pulling down:bicker:

I agree it's a nice gesture on Angels part, but this is akin to Tom Cruise paying for lunch for his co-stars in whatever film they are making at the time.

Most caddies make next to nothing unless your guy is in the top 50 or so and even then they aren't getting rich so it is quite a bit different. Now if he was buying lunch for other players all week I would agree with you.

Back