eBay vs Golf Galaxy

My local Edwin watts used to be my favorite store in the world. After a couple years you could definitley that they were getting fed up with people who came in and just hit demo clubs. I have to admit I was one of them. I always bought clubs and balls from them. Recently I could tell that I was one of the people who they don't like even though I'm a loyal customer. About 3 weeks ago they took all their demo clubs and put them in the back and made it so you could only hit them if you were serious about buying them. Now I rarely go there and when I do it's to get some balls. Im starting to buy offline but the only downside is its a lot harder to do trade ins.

I buy local and online. I want to support the local stores. If they didn't exist I wouldn't know what to buy, so I do plenty with them. I may wait for a sale.

I usually only buy online if its an exceptional deal.

The shops that are hard to support are the local pro shops. They usually have very poor stock with top dollar prices.

I believe we are talking about new stuff, right?
There are 2 other ways to buy golf stuff, specially clubs. used ones and through connection which you can get a very good price.

I feel absolutely no additional loyalty or compulsion to support GG or GS. The only times I buy from them is when I need something that same day or when they have the rare good deal (like the 20% off that I used to buy some wedges). They are big box, they never bargain, and lowball you on trade-ins while charging full retail for anything you want to trade for. Corporate overlords prevent them from bargaining so why bother? I haven't had any of those nightmare experiences like others have had, but I certainly don't care what happens to those stores. I understand that local staffers are just working wage people, but it's not like they put out much effort to warrant my loyalty.

As for ebay, I stick strictly to top reliable sellers and listed authorized stores. The deals are good but it can be a bit impersonal.

I love supporting local stores. If they are friendly and attentive, I become quite loyal to them. I recently found a new local golf store that is owned by a nice guy. I'll definitely buy at least a few things from him this season.

Not all local shops are worth it though. There are local guys out there where you walk into the store, no one says anything to you, they are busy chatting away amongst themselves, they may size you up for a second to determine if you're some kind of mark, and then go about their own business.

It's odd that your exception is with golf balls. That's where ebay really shines, IMO.
+1... balls & gloves are great from ebay

I've only bought online once and got burned.

Even without that experience I still prefer to buy local. Paying a few bucks more is worth it to me for the local owned and brick and mortar stores to stay open. Buying local also keeps at least some of the dollars local as well.

I like walking in to the local place and being called by name. I also buy from the brick and mortars as well.

Golf galaxy, Dicks and GS are big box stores. They will survive, it's the small "golf shops" that I enjoy and will support. I do buy online but will also buy say a hybrid or something from the small shop to support. Online retail is the future but people will always need that face to face time. When there gone thats when everyone will miss them.

I eBay a ton. However, I like to support my local pro shop as long as I'm not losing too much.

Golf galaxy, Dicks and GS are big box stores. They will survive, it's the small "golf shops" that I enjoy and will support. I do buy online but will also buy say a hybrid or something from the small shop to support. Online retail is the future but people will always need that face to face time. When there gone thats when everyone will miss them.

I agree completely but our small local shop closed down shortly after they built a Golf Galaxy nearly in the same shopping complex

Tapa Slice

All of these below.

I have never had to worry about a clubs authenticity when buying through Golf Galaxy.

Which is fine. I just prefer to buy local. As best I can.

For me, building the relationships and friendships is more important than a few $$$

And people wonder why brick and mortar stores are disappearing ? What happens when you have an issue with the clubs, warranty ? Do you go to local store,who you don't do business with or do you deal with your eBay store ?

I don't agree with using the local store to demo clubs, but not having any expectation of buying them. I do buy stuff on ebay sometimes, but I will pay a few extra bucks to support the local stores. I want to make sure they stay around for me to demo at when I'm in the market.

Not entirely true, while you are correct, you are not supporting a local owner, those corporations still employ local people, pay local taxes, and provide you a place to try out clubs and browse clothing. If the brick and morter stores go away, locally owned or not, we lose.

I buy local and online. I want to support the local stores. If they didn't exist I wouldn't know what to buy, so I do plenty with them. I may wait for a sale.

I usually only buy online if its an exceptional deal.

Even working retail, I'll occasionally shop the Bay for a particular item no longer available, but that is it. With the amount of counterfeits we see come in I would never chance it if I were the customer. Serial numbers don't mean anything anymore either, as its easy to match a "legit" number to a fake club.

However, I can understand those who have local stores that provide terrible service. Rather than quit shopping though, write letters, send emails, let those in charge know they need to get the situation fixed so you can have a place you can support.

Nothing will EVER beat out great customer service, knowledgeable and passionate associates who love the game and what they do. When that all comes together, it's a beautiful thing for both customer and the business.

We only have an Edwin Watts locally and it is terrible. Clubs are never on sale and the people that work there are dismissive and not helpful. Ebay and various online retailers get almost all my golf money. I would love for a good locally owned shop to open.

I wonder how many people understand MSRP and MAP.

I wonder how many people understand MSRP and MAP.
I don't know but here is some info,

Nobody wants to pay list and everyone wants a discount. MSRP serves no purpose other than to show you you got a discount.
MAP is the price that the manufacturer has set as the lowest price that it will pay for advertising on a model. It is designed to help manitain the "Status" of a product, allow retailers to make a profit on their gear and let the consumer have an idea of the actual retail price they can expect to pay. Almost all retailer advertising is paid using Co-op funds from the manufacturer where the manufacturer pays part or all of the cost of the ad. Since they are paying they get to set the rules they will pay under.
ESP is when the manufacturer tells a publisher what the MAP will be when the item hits the street.
A retailer is free to sell anything at any price they want to sell a Nikon D3 for $200 they are free to do so but they cannot advertise it at that price. If a retailer violates MAP priceing not only will they not get paid for the ad they will most likely not get any product either

Which is fine. I just prefer to buy local. As best I can.

For me, building the relationships and friendships is more important than a few $$$

Same with me, I prefer buying locally because the guys at EW will take care of me on the spot if something is wrong, they are knowledgeable, friendly, and just easier to deal with than an online seller. If it costs me a couple of bucks more (it doesn't but it used to) so be it.

Something I learned a long time ago when I raced MX, a steady customer is more important than a one hit wonder who buys something every 3 years and gripes about how much cheaper it is elsewhere. I bought my first two race bikes for list price with no arguing with the sales man and just made it easy. By the third they started knocking the price down when I walked in the door because I was a good customer. By the fourth, I was selling them at the end of the season for the same price I'd bought them new the discounts were so deep. The bike shop still made some money, I raced for near free, and I sent them all the customers I could because of the way I was treated there. You'll NEVER get that kind of customer service from an online retailer otherwise Global Golf would just send me the new clubs when they come out with a label for my old clubs to be sent back because I used to do a LOT of business with them.

I prefer personal service and if it costs me a few bucks while I'm establishing the relationship with the business then it's worth every penny.

I like walking in to the local place and being called by name.

There is that as well, I know the names of everyone in my local golf shop, take lessons from the assistant manager now and then, and they all know me. A few bucks on an expensive game that means little in the grand scheme of things is nothing to stress about. Give me customer service every day.

I sell plenty on ebay and only deal in authentic clubs. It is a must for my local pro shop to sometimes sell clubs nonlinear. There is a happy medium. I sold a set if rocketbladez on ebay and had the buyer send me a note claiming they were knockoffs because it said made in China. You just cant help some people.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Most of my club purchases have been online, but the next set I buy will be from Golfsmith; it will be my first fitted set.

It's odd that your exception is with golf balls. That's where ebay really shines, IMO.

Tons and tons of counterfeit prov1's on ebay

I buy from both. Most of my major purchases are with the local shops I go to, since I demo clubs there so much I don't want to just be a show caser. Also, there's not too much of a price difference between GG and e bay on new clubs and I'd rather pay a little extra so I can bring it back some where if I have issues. I have also bought a lot of stuff off e bay and all of the transactions have been great. There are clubs that local stores don't have and I can't get any where else other than e bay (i.e. most Tour Edge stuff). Or I can't justify paying a 10% reduction on clubs that are more than a year old when I can get a much better deal online.

Well some people don't have a choice. The closest golf store to where I live is a 2 hour drive!
So I buy everything from Ebay and right here in the THP marketplace.
And I have had great experiences with both.
Just recently purchased my current driver and a clicgear 3.0 from fellow THPers. It's a great place to buy.

I am looking around at eBay right now...

Well some people don't have a choice. The closest golf store to where I live is a 2 hour drive!
So I buy everything from Ebay and right here in the THP marketplace.
And I have had great experiences with both.
Just recently purchased my current driver and a clicgear 3.0 from fellow THPers. It's a great place to buy.
I'm glad you are enjoying the driver.

Mostly THP. Love to help out fellow peeps

Back