Follow along with a complete Newbie as I try to learn this game.

SeaNile

Reaction score
Handicap
Thought it would be interesting to document my experience as a complete newbie to the game of golf. Not going to sugar coat things or hide from the truth during this and my decision making process. So here we go...intro might get a bit lengthy.

Just turning 40 and trying to figure out a new hobby I have decided to turn to the game of golf. Figure it'll be a great choice, walking will provide a bit of exercise, it can be a social game and who doesn't like being outside surrounded by the beauty of nature. Growing up I was never exposed to golf and often made fun of it because it wasn't a real sport like basketball, baseball and football which is all I played. It took till I was 38 before I met a group of friends who regularly golf and they kind of helped push me in the direction of picking up golf as a new hobby/sport. Add the possibility of golfing with my two boys (4&8) and I am ready for golf.

Briefly here is where I am to date. I've got about 5-6 rounds under my belt and maybe 12 trips to the range. No lessons or instruction other than a few "tips" from the guys I played with. I'm here to tell you it's not practice makes perfect but rather perfect practice makes perfect. Going to the range with no instructions hasn't helped me one bit. Bought a set of Adams A12 irons (4&5 hybrid) and was given a driver, 3W and putter.

Lets start with the good. Of the 6 rounds I've made par 5x, hand full of bogies and double bogies and of course all the rest are awful. As a newbie with a background in baseball I am completely wide open at impact and have the typical slice. Actually I have 4 shots, hit it decent, top it, pop it up and slice. Wait, make that 5 shots, can't forget hitting the ground and sending the divot flying while the ball goes 10ft. Irons are more predictable than driver and my 56* and wedge are a disaster....they either go short, long or get skulled and somehow out distance 99% of my drives.

I have no feel for shots and aim for the entire green rather than a specific place within the green/pin. Putting is a complete mystery to me because I grew up shooting a ball while looking at the target (basketball), watching the ball into my hands/glove (baseball/football) and now am being asked to aim for a small hole while not looking at it. Seriously?? So I line up my putt, look for the break and honestly just hit the ball. No pre shot stuff, no correct stance...nothing. Damn, this game is frustrating.

OK, enough of where I am, lets plan on how to get better. Joined a local club and plan to play often. My lessons begin on Wednesday and I will definitely practice. Going to buy a clicgear 3.5 to walk and also "need" a new driver since somehow I broke the borrowed driver. Dunno how, maybe too many shots off the heel? Just snapped right at where the shaft meets the head. I was sooo ready to buy a new driver tonight at GG until I couldn't hit a shot at the simulator. How was I going to drop $400 on a driver with a clubhead speed of mid 90's and a distance of 70-225 yards? Like I said, 5 shots guys and I pulled them all out at GG in the simulator? You guys ever hit the ceiling of the simulator? I have. Ever get a drive of 70 yards due to hitting the ground before the ball? I have. Ever swing and miss in the simulator? I have. You guys talk about the sound of the club hitting the ball and I'm there listening to the sound of the ball bouncing off the ceiling.

OK, so there you have it so far. Wish me luck. I'll tell you this. I was not going to be the guy walking out of GG with a $400 driver, an orange bag and matching cart with the performance I put on. Noooooo way.

Welcome to THP!

First of all, if you have 6 rounds to your credit and have made 5 pars, you're WAY ahead of the curve and obviously a natural athlete. A lot of people don't sniff more than a par once every 6 months for years.

Aiming for the center of the green is absolutely the right thing to do as a beginner and will likely be the right thing to do for years to come.

Performing an action while looking at a target might be a benefit to you. Understand that it's not your job to hit the ball. Your job is to swing the club with your mental focus on your target. The ball just gets in the way.

As for putting, you can make a decision early on how you would handle it. There are some folks who actually advocate looking at the hole. If you can make it work, it works. If however you want to go with the more traditional approach, remember that line is secondary to speed. It's pretty hard to screw the line up so terribly you leave yourself a 10 footer because you were lined up 10-feet in the wrong direction. Your instincts will get you pointed in basically the right direction. It's good speed that gives you a 3-footer for your next putt and bad speed that gives you the 10-footer, even though your line was pretty decent. As you gain more experience, your line will get better and better.

Remember that even the pros don't make that many putts outside of 6-feet. The top putter from 10-15 feet on the tour this year is making a whopping 14%. So don't get frustrated when your 10-footer doesn't go in. Be thrilled when you leave yourself a short putt to finish up.

It's great that you're starting lessons. Your pro will get you on the right track, and your natural athletic instincts will move you along. From the sound of it, I'll be hating your guts soon, because you'll be better than me and I've been playing this game 35+ years.

Anyhow, good luck with it and keep us updated.

In just 6 rounds if your truely making few pars and have good amount of bogeys and doubles you are IMO way ahead the game and too me you have some natural ability there.

So so much involved with this game and it is very hard. All I can say is take those lessons and learn and practice and play and practice and more and more.

As far as clubs, you are correct IMO. there is no sense in spending big bucks on anything yet till you at least start to develope a swing consistant with you and even that will change as you take your lessons and time moves along. Just find another cheap used driver somewhere else for now. Just walking into a store and buying new club/clubs will not change anything unless you know what clubs will work best for you and you get properly fitted for them. But this isnt something you can do until you have come into your own with your personal even at least basic developed yet somewhat constant swing.

From what you describe and being very new and all you will probably have major swing changes and adjustments before that happens. Once your swing and ball striking ability settle in a bit and the changes are no longer major ones (there will always be small ones possibly forever) but thats the only time IMO when it may even be possible or practical to invest in a good fitting and new set.

If you realy do want at least a new driver than there are also other ways like going with clones (or knock-offs) from places like "pinemeadow golf", "diamond tour", "giga golf' etc... They are reputable and the clubs are "arguably" every bit as good as the brand names. These are not "fakes". that is a different thing all together. Many many people have such entire sets for many years and also good golfers too. Even with proper fittings done too. My last set I played with for ten years with no issues at all except for me lol.... Its just another means and a good suggestion for not spending 400 on a driver if you realy feel you would like your own new one. And can still be a great option even when you do move along and get fitted and want a new set.

Just some thoughts for you and my opinions. I wish you luck with everything. and like wades says , I'll probably be hating you soon too..lol....It seems you may have some natural ability hwith this based on what ya said..

Welcome to the game. First off, as far as the driver goes, you don't need a $400 one at this point. There are plenty of older models out there that you can pick up for $150 or less and they will work just as good for you. Try looking at the TM Burner series, they are great all-around performers and can be picked up for a song right now.

Your game sounds a lot like mine. The inconsistencies are constantly getting in the way; fat shots, thins, slices etc... Congrats on going out and getting lessons right off. That will probably improve your game faster than anything else you can do. My putting was awful for years until I found one little thing I was doing wrong that when fixed, completely changed my putting game. If you can get that stuff out of the way now by taking lessons, you won't be fighting with things like that for years. Then you can concentrate on just getting the muscle memory to get consistent.

Good luck to you on your journey, and hope to see you at a THP event one of these days.

Thanks for the encouragement. As for a THP outing, no way! Maybe next year when I can break 175.

I am really looking forward to lessons on Wednesday. Everything needs help, my grip, stance, swing and everything else.

Can't wait till I actually have a bit of a clue about things. Equipment shopping will be so fun.

Should be fun to watch your progress! You're in for a fun (and at times, frustrating) summer! Stay patient!

Good luck!

Thought it would be interesting to document my experience as a complete newbie to the game of golf. Not going to sugar coat things or hide from the truth during this and my decision making process. So here we go...intro might get a bit lengthy.

Just turning 40 and trying to figure out a new hobby I have decided to turn to the game of golf. Figure it'll be a great choice, walking will provide a bit of exercise, it can be a social game and who doesn't like being outside surrounded by the beauty of nature. Growing up I was never exposed to golf and often made fun of it because it wasn't a real sport like basketball, baseball and football which is all I played. It took till I was 38 before I met a group of friends who regularly golf and they kind of helped push me in the direction of picking up golf as a new hobby/sport. Add the possibility of golfing with my two boys (4&8) and I am ready for golf.

Briefly here is where I am to date. I've got about 5-6 rounds under my belt and maybe 12 trips to the range. No lessons or instruction other than a few "tips" from the guys I played with. I'm here to tell you it's not practice makes perfect but rather perfect practice makes perfect. Going to the range with no instructions hasn't helped me one bit. Bought a set of Adams A12 irons (4&5 hybrid) and was given a driver, 3W and putter.

Lets start with the good. Of the 6 rounds I've made par 5x, hand full of bogies and double bogies and of course all the rest are awful. As a newbie with a background in baseball I am completely wide open at impact and have the typical slice. Actually I have 4 shots, hit it decent, top it, pop it up and slice. Wait, make that 5 shots, can't forget hitting the ground and sending the divot flying while the ball goes 10ft. Irons are more predictable than driver and my 56* and wedge are a disaster....they either go short, long or get skulled and somehow out distance 99% of my drives.

I have no feel for shots and aim for the entire green rather than a specific place within the green/pin. Putting is a complete mystery to me because I grew up shooting a ball while looking at the target (basketball), watching the ball into my hands/glove (baseball/football) and now am being asked to aim for a small hole while not looking at it. Seriously?? So I line up my putt, look for the break and honestly just hit the ball. No pre shot stuff, no correct stance...nothing. Damn, this game is frustrating.

OK, enough of where I am, lets plan on how to get better. Joined a local club and plan to play often. My lessons begin on Wednesday and I will definitely practice. Going to buy a clicgear 3.5 to walk and also "need" a new driver since somehow I broke the borrowed driver. Dunno how, maybe too many shots off the heel? Just snapped right at where the shaft meets the head. I was sooo ready to buy a new driver tonight at GG until I couldn't hit a shot at the simulator. How was I going to drop $400 on a driver with a clubhead speed of mid 90's and a distance of 70-225 yards? Like I said, 5 shots guys and I pulled them all out at GG in the simulator? You guys ever hit the ceiling of the simulator? I have. Ever get a drive of 70 yards due to hitting the ground before the ball? I have. Ever swing and miss in the simulator? I have. You guys talk about the sound of the club hitting the ball and I'm there listening to the sound of the ball bouncing off the ceiling.

OK, so there you have it so far. Wish me luck. I'll tell you this. I was not going to be the guy walking out of GG with a $400 driver, an orange bag and matching cart with the performance I put on. Noooooo way.

That made me laugh! Hard! I thought I may have been the only person to do that. I'll be following your progress with interest as I too, am 40 and just started playing recently.

Welcome to the game! It sounds to me like you have made a great start! I look forward to hearing how it progresses. Remember to laugh when it gets frustrating! It will never stop doing that.

Great thread man. I will enjoy following your progress

Welcome to the game! Hope you get as much enjoyment from it as all of us do!!!

Welcome to the game!

I agree that you need to get to some form of a normalized swing (this is more about it being consistent than "correct".) The other thing i would add, is to get a general fitting for your clubs. Get the Length and grips set for the clubs. it makes a world of difference having clubs that are fitted to your hands and height when learning and adjusting your swing.

Best of Luck!!!

First off welcome to THP and the great frustrating addiction called golf.

Sounds like you are on the right track in getting lessons so early on. As for the driver you don't need a $400 driver, but one that is fit for you or relatively fit for you will be important.

The THP outings and Invitationals are all about fun not about what you shoot! If you get a chance to make one come on out and meet some of the awesome people on here.

Good luck in your journey and keep us updated!

Welcome to the game and good luck! Love your sense of humor, and learning golf you will NEED it! Lessons is a great idea, I wish I had started with them. It is much easier to learn the right way than to fix the bad habits later IMHO. I agree with the comments if you have several pars in your first few rounds you are way ahead of the curve. I am thrilled if I can get a couple of pars per round still. When you have one of those days, and you will, just keep that sense of humor and focus on the couple of great shots you hit. Even on the worst days there will be a few swings that make you smile. That is part of what keeps me coming back, the feeling you get when it all goes right and you just bask in the glory! Of course that is usually followed by a three putt from 5 feet!

Oh man, where to even begin??? Had my first ever lesson today and spent about 40 minutes with the instructor. Good news is while he was watching my first 10 shots he stopped me after two. Yea, I have that many flaws but what do you expect from someone brand new to the game? Lots of initial comments, I line up improperly, have what he called "the strongest grip I have ever seen", stand way too close to the ball, have all my weight on my heels, swing like I am hitting a baseball, have no weight transfer, and have an incredibly steep swing. All of which I completely agree with after he pointed those things out to me. Bad news is with trying to change my grip I can barely hit the ball at all. I have no concept on how you are supposed to hold the club and swing.

So after just lining up properly by shots went closer to the target. Once I backed away from the ball, put some weight on the balls on my feet and stuck out my ass it felt a lot more comfortable. My biggest challenge is the grip. I was so under the shaft with my right hand and my thumb at about 3 o'clock trying to put my right hand in a less strong grip killed me. This so called non-sport has muscles aching that I never knew existed. The muscles in my hands are actually sore like they had a workout. And my back is screaming from getting into the correct position with my butt sticking out.

So now I have plenty of things to work on between now and the next lesson. The golf club and range is less than 3 minutes from my home so I have no excuse not to practice.

So...line it up, let my arms fall, chill out on the megadeath grip I've got going on and transfer weight to front foot. Sounds easy right?

Entire session was performed with a PW.

Can't wait to get out on the range tomorrow and practice!

Grip changes are the toughest to deal with. However it is absolutely critical that you stick with it. While I wouldn't say it's impossible to become a good player with a too-strong or too-weak grip, it certainly makes it much harder. Stick with it, and before you know it, it will feel completely natural.

First Welcome to THP.

Second, as others have said...with just a few rounds in and several pars under your belt, you are way ahead of the curve!

Good luck to you and I will enjoy following your journey.

Welcome to THP and good luck on your journey, thats what we are all here for!

Good Luck, as someone who picked up the game, 7 or so months ago, I feel your pain lesson where the right way forward though.

I suggest playing Stableford while out on the course, takes a lot of the frustration of those double figure holes you will have, as it doesn't wreck your round. and lets you stay competitive with your more consistent friends.

Stick at it buddy, i am in my early 40s and have only been playing the game for 3 years. I was like you and struggled to hit the ball and struggled with my slice. Now after many equipment changes and lessons i am seeing my scores come down. I am now a 25 handicapper and for the first time last week i managed to shoot under 100 in a medal from the medal tees. I shot a 94 and was over the moon with that. I used to rush all my shots and now think more about each shot and it has helped my game alot and practice is the key and get out as often as you can, I love golf now and i look forward to the weekend so i can play golf.

About an hour on the range practicing with my PW then played 9 in evening. My grip still feels odd and compared to everyone else I am wayyyy far away from the ball during my address. Buddy I played with has about a closed fist or two distance between his body and end of club and I have about 3x the distance. It's probably just to get me to feel the swing plane and correct my steep swing.

Anyway, no pars and I am quickly realizing that putting is a complete mystery to me. Could have had 2 pars and a few bogies but my 4 putts put an end to that.

Can't wait to get back out there.

About an hour on the range practicing with my PW then played 9 in evening. My grip still feels odd and compared to everyone else I am wayyyy far away from the ball during my address. Buddy I played with has about a closed fist or two distance between his body and end of club and I have about 3x the distance. It's probably just to get me to feel the swing plane and correct my steep swing.

Anyway, no pars and I am quickly realizing that putting is a complete mystery to me. Could have had 2 pars and a few bogies but my 4 putts put an end to that.

Can't wait to get back out there.

Just caught up on everything, good stuff. As someone who focused so much on hitting the bell straight and correctly for so long only to struggle and get frustrated I recommend working on your short game and reading about the mental game as well. You are sure to have ups and downs so being prepared to deal with them is paramount and makes the game so much more enjoyable. I suggest anything by Bob Rotella and Zen Golf, most of those will all be quick and easy reads.

As to getting used to the grip...If you are at home watching tv on the couch...grab a putter or wedge and grip it with the new grinp and then even doing super mini swings, cock the wrist and uncocking it should get you more comfortable holding and swinging the club with the new grip.

Welcome to the game. There will be times you will be so frustrated that you will think of quitting but just keep on chugging. In the end when you start getting more pars and then finally get your first birdie, you will definitely feel like it is all worth it.

Keep working on that grip, like jugger said keep a club around the house and grip it and regrip it while your watching tv. Also take 3 oclock to 9 oclock swings.

Back