When will we see irons that allow for interchangeable shafts?

I think these would be a great idea. Right now I want to change shafts in my irons. It would be so much easier if I could buy 1 or 2 shafts I'm interested in, have a clubmaker put an adapter on it then do some experimenting on the range hitting different shafts.

I'm in the same boat. It's exactly what made me think of starting this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Doesn't club conex (www.clubconex.com) make adapters that you can install in any set of heads and on any shaft if you want to do this know.

Golf is becoming such a confusing, technical sport. - GPS, adjustable drivers (moveable weights, adjustable loft, neutral, open, and closed faces), pre-swing routines, etc... Adding adjustability to irons seems to be a natural progression.

So much to think about, besides just setting up and hitting the darn ball!

If they came out with adjustable irons, consumers would find a reason. We lived for a great while with adjustabel drivers, now almost everyone has one in the bag.
I think a decent amount of fitting carts have these. Ping does it too. I just do not see how this benefits most consumers.. Adjustable drivers can be used to tweak face angles and stuff, but just swappable iron shafts don't seem like they would benefit most consumers.

Can you imagine some guys? "Hang on sec...I hit that last one a bit to the right. Let me grab my tool and click the face closed one more notch." (Yes, I realize during the round adjustments are illegal, but that wouldn't stop some yahoos)

Dont forget that having the adapter will make you 14 yards longer!

It's acutally 17 yds. Longer-IER... lol

I think this would be more difficult than we think for this to happen. With the fitting carts, the shafts are manufactured (from what I have heard) in small batches, or at least modified in small batches to accomodate the torque screw attachment at the end. the heads are also small-batch machined (i.e. not on the general assembly line in China or wherever) to accomodate the different attachment point (bolt vs. epoxy). To re-tool an entire machine plant to create inter-changeable shaft options would be VERY costly, and I don't think there are enough of us "golf nuts" out there that really swap out shafts enough to be a profitable endeavor. OEM's are going to continue to stress getting a proper fit eval done and ordering the right shafts to begin with.

Can you imagine some guys? "Hang on sec...I hit that last one a bit to the right. Let me grab my tool and click the face closed one more notch." (Yes, I realize during the round adjustments are illegal, but that wouldn't stop some yahoos)
You got that right, it doesn't stop the now!

I can see TMaG's campaign now....

"80% of golfers are playing the wrong shaft"

I was a little skeptical when I saw your first post, now you have me 100% convinced. This is going to happen without a doubt.

I feel like adjustable drivers have helped club upgrade sales. By not forcing people to unglue an old head and then glue the shaft into a new head (which always feels so... final), people can feel like they can still game their old heads anytime they want to. That freedom has to make the idea of spending money on a new metalwood more palatable. I know I've been loving the idea of borrowing a demo driver from a shop or range and popping in my shaft for a real comparison (at least from the same OEM). I could see the same logic applying to irons. I'm sure many people here always feel a little itch whenever a new line of clubs come out every year. More people would be inclined to buy a set of irons, just to try even, if they can just pop in new iron heads with a wrench. I'm never going to be confident working with epoxy on my own clubs, so I know it'll change my thinking.

It's funny because 80% of golfers probably are playing the wrong shaft. I'm not a big fan of the interchangeable iron shafts, if you get fitted properly for your irons changing shafts should have very little impact unless you're trying to tame varying conditions or something. All this fooling with interchangeable this and that won't fix the real issues which are the swing and lack of consistent ball striking. Those fixes are on the range.

Iron shafts aren't as "cool" as driver shafts, or so it seems to me. People who play something other than stock in their irons were probably fit for them and therefore wouldn't need to swap out for new iron shafts. Tinkerers maybe... Not to mention the cost. Driver adapters cost $20-$30 each for the readily available ones and high double digits for the not (PING and Titleist, etc...), who wants to spend double the cost for adapters? Then all the adjustments would need to be made via the adapter as it would be hard to bend without a big hosel.

I just think that irons shafts you would have to change all of them. It's not a cheap, experimental thing. It's all or nothin'.

Hireko Golf already has for some of their iron's.

I think these would be a great idea. Right now I want to change shafts in my irons. It would be so much easier if I could buy 1 or 2 shafts I'm interested in, have a clubmaker put an adapter on it then do some experimenting on the range hitting different shafts.

I also think it would be great. Right now I'm trying 2 different graphite shafts for my TM 2.0 irons. I've got a miyazaki 59s in my 8i and a UST graphite shaft in my 9i. I really like the Miyazaki shaft, but I'd also like to try other graphite shafts to see what works best for me. If I could change shafts easily, I'd be able to nail down a shaft that works for me much more quickly.

I think this will be hard to be realistic. If you have the interchangeable shafts, club companies will lose a lot of money. Now golfers will need only buy the clubheads, and can go get the shafts elsewhere...I think it is a slippery slope...That said, I would like to see it happen.

Dan

I don't know why you would want this. If you find the right shaft for you through fitting why would you want to change? I think it would be a gimmick and just a selling point. Also I have hit the fitting clubs and had the shaft come loose.

I think this will be hard to be realistic. If you have the interchangeable shafts, club companies will lose a lot of money. Now golfers will need only buy the clubheads, and can go get the shafts elsewhere...I think it is a slippery slope...That said, I would like to see it happen.

Dan

What prevents that from happening right now?

I think we forget how an adjustable driver was a crazy idea a few short years ago...now it's mainstream. The success of the adjustable driver is proof that the market will sustain adjustable irons IMO.

Yes, you could use the club conex adapters for this purpose. I have about 40 iron shafts set up with this system to along with 30 iron heads (all outside the regular fitting carts) - gives me a huge number of possible configurations.

Doesn't club conex (www.clubconex.com) make adapters that you can install in any set of heads and on any shaft if you want to do this know.

If I recall correctly, the first removable-head driver on the retail market was a Callaway some years ago that had no hosel settings, the only thing the head came off for was to change shafts. The thought was you'd have a pile of shafts to change for course conditions. Not to different from this idea.

I'm not in favor of changeable iron shafts, but then I don't have a single adjustable club in my bag. I guess the only positive I could see would be if you could pick a shaft you know you really like, and switch iron heads on those shafts - but I guarantee you that the Callaway hosels won't fit Nike clubs, etc...

Imagine for a minute THP does graphite iron testing and we have adjustable irons. The ease of signing up and testing against an iron shaft just got real
Easy. No more lost time going to the club repair to have shafts swapped out. By a new set and put them in.

That doesn't get you...think of this. You have a sore wrist and have to switch to lighter shaft. Adjustability makes that a snap. Your wrist heals so you put the old shafts back in. I think it will be the next step or invocation in golf.

Too expensive on a per club basis I think.
boom.
You could argue the same for adjustable drivers.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
Could you? Hardly. The shaft in the driver has a greater affect and I can see changing those for swing problems and different flight desires much more often and cheaper than an entire iron set.

I would love this. I live in Columbus, OH and have been fitted at Golf Galaxy, Golf Smith and my home course. Not one of those places spent any time on different shafts. I have spent plenty of money at these three places and I feel I know more about shafts than the guys fitting me.

I see everyone saying there would be no reason to change because of proper fitting, but I think you are sorely mistaken that people are getting properly fit, even after paying the money for a fitting. Until I found this site, I never realized all the possibilities and what can happen.

I have changed my driver shaft and added about 10 yards because of the proper shaft.

I would love to be able to buy 1 shaft for my 8 iron and be easily able to interchange it to see if that shaft would work for me on the course.

Too expensive on a per club basis I think.

I would love this. I live in Columbus, OH and have been fitted at Golf Galaxy, Golf Smith and my home course. Not one of those places spent any time on different shafts. I have spent plenty of money at these three places and I feel I know more about shafts than the guys fitting me.

I see everyone saying there would be no reason to change because of proper fitting, but I think you are sorely mistaken that people are getting properly fit, even after paying the money for a fitting. Until I found this site, I never realized all the possibilities and what can happen.

I have changed my driver shaft and added about 10 yards because of the proper shaft.

I would love to be able to buy 1 shaft for my 8 iron and be easily able to interchange it to see if that shaft would work for me on the course.
but that's the key. you have to get properly fitted. but these people who don't get fit, certainly aren't going to tinker around with new shafts.

boom.

Could you? Hardly. The shaft in the driver has a greater affect and I can see changing those for swing problems and different flight desires much more often and cheaper than an entire iron set.

I disagree that it had a greater effect. Shaft is important everywhere.

Driver shafts are very often not cheaper that an iron set of shafts. At MSRP, I can name quite a few who top $300.

They aren't too concerned with consumer cost I don't think. TM wouldn't make $600 drivers (upgraded TP ones) and $1300 iron sets (Max) if they weren't making money.

THPing on Tapatalk

Back