What is a "Big hitter"?

It is.......

Until you show up at a THP event and have to back up those claims. :alien:

In that case, come time for the LV event I will be bombing it 220.

A big hitter is a guy named Canadan.

Seconded. I think Dan's secret is that he thinks in meters instead of yards.

Sounds like people put a big number on being a Big hitter in the AM world too. If the average pro is 275 as per that data then anything close to that I think would be a big hitter in my book. Either that or the average pro is less super human than they make them sound on tv. I say carry over 250 is a blast for a AM and a murder for a higher handicap player. I thought I would just ask to see what the hackers thought. Keep the thoughts coming.

I agree with most of the posters. A big hitter to me is anyone who carries it 280+. Me? Not a big hitter. If I carry 220 and total 240, I feel very good for an old man.

In Texas, everyone is a big hitter.

But our courses are tougher than most others.

:D

Ha.!! I couldn't get it over the water hazards:D

tap'n from my big as Note2

I carry the ball on average about 255-265 and my girlfriend's dad considers me a big hitter, which I don't consider myself. I think someone who carries it a good 280 and in the fairway is a big hitter.

A big hitter to me puts it out over 280, which I never do....if I get 270 total I am excited...I average 255-260 total.

Folks of my vintage consider that really big. It is amazing, what has happened to this game distancewise. Growing up caddying, only the elite low handicappers were hitting it 250. Now, mid handicappers and higher routinely hit it well past that.

I get pretty fired up if I get 270-280 after rollout and everything. I'd say an average drive when I am able to put a good move on the ball ends up around 250-260 after rollout. I can count on my fingers the times I've touched 300, and most of those times had some wind help. Some of the folks that I play with tell me I'm pretty long, but I've seen some guys that hit it really good and they are well out past me. Their ball just sounds different, and that alone tells me they are on a whole other level of ball smashing than I am. I don't often hear that kind of sound when I hit a golf ball. One of the guys I used to play with would claim all kinds of 300+ nonsense, but it never happened once in probably 15 rounds I played with him last year. He was no longer than I was, and less accurate to boot, which is really saying something.

I'd say a consistent 260-270 when it's not a ton of roll.

I kind of look at 300 as the "big" number. Since I've gotten acquainted with my R1, I usually have one or 2 300 yarders per round. Now that's just taking yardage from the tee and yardage left to the pin as a guide, so gps could say something different. Consistently, I carry about 260 and usually end up with 275-280 yard drives when I'm hitting it decent. The current miss is a 240-250 yard pull to the left, that depending on the course and hole I'm playing, may or may not take par out of the equation. If I could consistently hit 300 and straight, I'd call myself a big hitter, but I'm not there yet. My brother hits 300 all day long and is quite a bit smaller than me. Drives me crazy.

280 carry, real life yards...Trackman verified, or laser measured.

I would have to say that 275 carry would be the cut off, it has been mentioned in here numerous times because of the PGA average. I would say their consistency is what sets them apart. My brother in law is stupid long off the tee, 300 no problem but can be all over the place and can't putt a lick.

6 foot 7 and 310 pounds......thats what I'd call a big hitter.....or call him an all-pro lineman who at that size can jump over a 4ft ladder from a stand still......... oh, you meant yardage.

I wouldnt call an average of 300 or more a big hitter because thats an exceptional average imo. Even the pro average I believe is close to 290. Some are over 300 and some are barely 280 and they are the best in the world and in the extreme minority at least to do it consistantly.

Truthfully its all relative to me and to be realistic in the world of most of us amateurs and weekend hackers I would consider anyone who can consistantly end up playable at 280 is a big hitter. Consistantly over 260 to be considered a long hitter relative to most people who golf.

Think about it i terms of hole distances. If one can constantly be 260 plus or minus 10 yrds on an average golf course they wood be driver, wedge or short to mid iron on most any par 4. Based on that i'd think that 250minimum yardage with an average of 260 or more is about the dividing line between considering someone a longer hitter vs not being a long hitter for practical purposes IMO. And again, to average 280 IMO would be a big hitter relative to the world most of us golfers live in.

After seeing the updated stats in another thread, I would say that anyone hitting 270+ would be considered a big hitter in my eyes, but if they couldn't keep it in the fairway then I don't see the point. If I was considered a big hitter, I would rather sacrifice a bit of distance if I could guarantee putting it in the fairway

Yeah, I would say over 275.

Though for myself, I consider a big hitter to be the guy with an extra gear. All too often, you see amateurs, such as myself, just swing as hard as possible all the time. I'll admit, I'm guilty of it. I play with a guy from time to time though who averaged probably 280 off the tee, but step up to a wide open par 5 and you know he's going over 300. He just hunkers down and has that 'extra gear'.

yea, I have ant extra gear as well. Unfortunately, it's reverse!

I don't know what yardage I would say is a big hitter, but I sure do like seeing the ball flight of bigger hitters.

Snarky answer: like one of the Supreme Court justices back in the day said, "I know it when I see it."

Real answer: anyone that can carry it 260 with their driver or anyone that is hitting less than 8 iron from 150 out. I probably carry it 230-250 with the driver depending on the day, and my distances are usually right there with most people that I play with. Even having played with 2 guys recently that played low-level college golf recently, their distances weren't tremendously further than me. That said, I have played with some guys at THP events that absolutely murder the ball, they are big hitters.

Interesting you say that Ary. I have a BIG discrepancy between the distances of my irons and my driver. I hit a 9 iron 150 yards pretty easily, but I am lucky to carry a driver 220. I think the reason is that I am physically strong, so I can "muscle" an iron, and I have always had a downward angle of attack with a very short backswing. Basically - a hitter! The driver swing is just harder & not as natural for me...

I have played with a few THP guys who are very long - always fun to watch!

When I chatted online with the Bridgestone fitter they said a 265 carry puts you in the top 5% of people they test with their ball fittings

When I chatted online with the Bridgestone fitter they said a 265 carry puts you in the top 5% of people they test with their ball fittings

I don't doubt that one bit.

I think I'm a pretty average golfer, distance-wise. If I REALLY get ahold of one, I might get it to 260-270. My normal "big" drives are more like 250. A solid drive may be 230-240 and a mishit may be more like 210.

Hopefully those numbers will go up slightly when I have a new driver rather than my 10-year-old one. But I don't expect any kind of dramatic increase.

Yep. I think we get inflated views of what is long. If you are in teh top 5% I would say you are Dali Llama long

yea, I have ant extra gear as well. Unfortunately, it's reverse!

Really your lucky, mine is full blown right turn. When I try to get after it my ball will go 11 miles and almost 90degrees to the right. I call it the jackknife cause it only ends up going about 75 yards forward but 200 yard to the right.

That is interesting that 265 carry is in the top 5%. I wish I could get my hands on the starts of where most players are if they keep those type of records.

hahahaha yeah right! I'm way short.

Now that JRod character, what a beast.

When I'm tweeting Callaway reps to verify a bomb patch-worthy drive, there is a long hitter involved.

Back