Awful Dicks Experience

codybwallace

Reaction score
Handicap
Some of you may have saw that I was going to pick up some new wedges today. I had to drive over an hour and a half to get these wedges.

So I make the trip down to Dicks Sporting Goods to pick up a 52*, 56* and a 60* wedge. I was also going to pick up some new FJ Project Ms and possibly some new sunglasses. I don't get to a dicks often, so I was going to make it worth my trip.

So on to my experience. I walked right to my wedges and found all three. Awesome. I then went over to pick out my shoes. They had all colors it seemed except for the color I wanted. No big deal, I'll settle for a different color. So I walk over to the guy behind the golf counter. I try to start some small talk, and I can't get him out of his chair and off of his computer enough to talk to me. I tried getting him to talk to me about the wedges, the shoes and even some grips I was asking him about. He was very unhelpful about all three. He even asked me to hand him the grips I was asking about instead of him getting them. They were literally closer to him than they were to me. After I couldn't get him to get up to talk to me or get him up to discuss the grips, I just put my wedges back and walked out.

Looks like I am headed to Edwin Watts for some wedges, another 30 minutes away.

Good for you. No reason to support tha poor service.

You should of called a manager over explained the issue,
then hand him the wedges to put away.

You should of called a manager over explained the issue,
then hand him the wedges to put away.

^^^^^^ this! That is awful service! I am surprised by how poor your experience was. I have usually had great service at Dicks. I would report that to the store manager and tell him you went else where to purchase your wedges. After all, they "can't fix it if they don't know its broke".

Sadly unless you tell the boss then that guy looses nothing by you going away.

This might be unfair to Dicks in general, but I've never experienced anything great there.. Terrible stock, limited knowledge from employees...

Really I only ever go there for golf balls if anything. Hopefully Edwin Watts gets you dialed in CodyB!

This might be unfair to Dicks in general, but I've never experienced anything great there.. Terrible stock, limited knowledge from employees...

Really I only ever go there for golf balls if anything. Hopefully Edwin Watts gets you dialed in CodyB!

Agreed, though to be fair, they aren't just a golf store. They're fine for small stuff or a purchase if I knew exactly what I was going to buy, but I wouldn't go there seeking any information.

Agreed, though to be fair, they aren't just a golf store. They're fine for small stuff or a purchase if I knew exactly what I was going to buy, but I wouldn't go there seeking any information.

A fair point, for sure, and pretty much exactly how I look at them. Some good sales on clothing and golf balls, at best.

Oh, and maxfli clubs?

Awful Dicks Experience

That's terrible, make sure you call the manager and explain what happened and went else where.

I frequent my Dick's for balls, shoes and gloves cause they are way closer than GG or the golgsmith that's opening soon. Plus now that I know Mercer85 works there I can go in and have cool conversations.

I assure you I wouldn't go in there to buy anything for golf if they were not to closest store to me.

Watts will take good care of me, it is just such a small store (for them). They have very limited stock and alway have to order things for me.

That's terrible, make sure you call the manager and explain what happened and went else where.

I frequent my Dick's for balls, shoes and gloves cause they are way closer than GG or the golgsmith that's opening soon. Plus now that I know Mercer85 works there I can go in and have cool conversations.

Dude, we are going to be hanging out at GolfSmith often I'm betting haha! That's going to be awesome.

I can't stand Dicks. Well at least the one closest to me when I was in NY. I drove an hour to buy some irons. After getting them lengthened I had them put my new golf pride wraps on. They said don't touch them for at least 45 mins they are still "wet" lol ok......... No prob It takes an hour to get home. I go to play with them that night (bout 4 hours later) and my 6i grip nearly slides clean off lol. Twist all the rest and they are all that bad. Wow great job. I drive back and they said they don't know how it happened so they'll fix them and have someone else do it. This time I waited till the next day to even touch them. BOOM!!! Would you believe it they were even worse than before!!!? I swear to god no joke I lifted the grip off (basically fell off after swinging) and there was only like an inch of tape on the shaft hahahha I was stunned. So once again drove an hour for the third time and was furious. I let them have it. After speaking for some time with the manager they replaced my grips and gave me 75% off of my purchase. The cost of gas was crazy that summer so I didn't save all that much. Anyways so now I always go to GG and have never had any problems. They are fantastic to me. Just sharing my personal experience with the dicks closest to me. Lol horrible

The Dick's in Green Bay is amazing. Great selection, even if a little light on SeeMore. The staff is so helpful and fun to talk with. They are also very knowledgable.

After the events I had this week at Golf Galaxy, I will be spending more money at Dicks. Opposed to Golf Galaxy.

I don't know about all of them but here, according to my sources, they hire Pro's to work in the golf shop who are paid more than the average clerk. So I expect them to be more knowledgable and helpful than the younger guys they have that just fill in during busy times.

If they do have someone that doesn't know a lot, I'd much rather have them tell me that straight out. I can understand if they aren't trained for the job and are honest about it.

I can't stand Dick's for golf stuff. No knowledge, very little skills, and concerned with nothing more than selling you whatever is the most expensive. A friend and I go in there once or twice a summer to see what happens. Last month, the g literally said this to me.

"Hey, I've heard some good things about the AMP Cell. Do you mind if I give it a try?"
"Sure, but you should also try the R1 from TaylorMade, it is a better driver because it is more adjustable."

THPing on Tapatalk

I guess I should have titled the thread specific to the store.

I have had great experiences at Dicks all over. I have spent a lot of money with them. This is my first bad experience with them.

I will just think twice before making a special trip to this Dicks.

Yeah I frequently visit my local Dicks store to get golf balls and other small things.

I find that Dick's varies from store to store. The one closest to me, thankfully, employs a PGA Professional to manage the golf department. When he is there, I can get great advise and outstanding service. Another store in the opposite direction, not so much. I agree with those who said that the manager should have been notified though because it was just a bad employee and not so much the store. Should have gotten the arse fired!

This is what I never understand. if its so bad why not complain and try to get it fixed? Why walk out?
This is like the 3rd or 4th bad experience I've read about dicks, but no one ever says anything to bring this poor service to the attention of the store manager.

This is what I never understand. if its so bad why not complain and try to get it fixed? Why walk out?
This is like the 3rd or 4th bad experience I've read about dicks, but no one ever says anything to bring this poor service to the attention of the store manager.

As stated above I certainly did lol. I even gave them the benefit of the doubt and let them mess up twice before I complained. Will not go back there.

Ok. Called the store, spoke to the manager, told her who the guy was and about my experience, she is sorry, and she will "handle" it. Whatever that means.

Ok. Called the store, spoke to the manager, told her who the guy was and about my experience, she is sorry, and she will "handle" it. Whatever that means.

Means bye bye employee lol

for some reason there arent any of those stores in the Houston area

I've noticed that some people say they won't go to Dick's and head over to Golf Galaxy or vise versa. I have to mention this, it doesn't matter who you give your money too, Dick's owns Golf Galaxy. Just something to ponder the next time you decide to venture to one of them.

I've noticed that some people say they won't go to Dick's and head over to Golf Galaxy or vise versa. I have to mention this, it doesn't matter who you give your money too, Dick's owns Golf Galaxy. Just something to ponder the next time you decide to venture to one of them.

This is true. There's a reason they are together in the TM commercials.

It is also true however that GG is a golf specific store and should at least know more about what they are doing.

THPing on Tapatalk

Back