Playing Opposite Handed

I played in a national knockout last year, and my third round was against a young guy playing off 3. He had to give me 17 shots at the time, so I managed to get him to the 18th, before I knocked one out of bounds. Chatting in the bar, the lad made his apologies and said he had another round scheduled (it was his home club) he was playing his friend, a leftie. He explained that it was swap day, so he would be playing with his friends clubs. Lefthanded, his handicap was 8....

Sceptical, I watched him play the first. He drove it arrow-straight about 275, short iron to 10 feet and sunk the putt.

That, I thought, is talent!

I've hit a ball with driver both right and left handed. Even did it on video. You guys may remember the video...

I can't play lefty.

I can putt lefty. My left eye is dominant do that works well.

I've turned a PW over to punch out lefty a few times, but playing all shots lefty...I'm sure I'd hurt somebody.

I've tried it. I'm left-handed, so I figured it wouldn't be too hard. I was mistaken.

It would be worse than starting from scratch now. I can barely make contact.

I do know a few people who've switched or play both sides well. One guy hurt his hand and switched, got back to low double digits, and there's a pro in Atlantic Canada who's deadly both ways but plays tournaments righty.
My playing partner's a golf lefty. He was on the range flailing about, and said "Kevin, this club is no good". Guy takes it, steps up and stripes one out of the range lefty. "Nothing wrong with that club".

I was at the range the other day and this guy was hitting both left & right alternating back and fouth he was bad both ways he was swinging he told me he could not decide between the two

Shawn Clement can break par from either side, which is dang impressive.

I can Pitt and baby chip left handed. thats the extent of it.

THPing on Tapatalk

I'm left handed but play golf right handed, simply because the first set I picked up, an old abandoned set in a mates garage, were right handed. I've often wondered if have been a better golfer playing my natural way, but Big Phil proves that you don't necessarily have to play your natural way. Anyway, being a lefty I sorta assumed it would be fairly easy for me to swing left handed. Ha! No! It feels so alien!

Back