Rider fees for non-golfers?

TimG3394

Lost: Center of clubface
Reaction score
Handicap
9ish
Has anybody ever had a significant other ride along during a round? I'm playing a really relaxed round with some friends and my girlfriend wants to ride along. She enjoys golf but would much rather ride along with a couple drinks. I know every course is different, but do places make you pay full price for a non golfer? That wouldn't be a big deal but was wondering if other have done it before.

Thanks

Some ask for a riding fee - like $5. Others don't worry about it. Give em a call!

Has anybody ever had a significant other ride along during a round? I'm playing a really relaxed round with some friends and my girlfriend wants to ride along. She enjoys golf but would much rather ride along with a couple drinks. I know every course is different, but do places make you pay full price for a non golfer? That wouldn't be a big deal but was wondering if other have done it before.

Thanks

I've done it a couple times. They usually either let it slide for next to nothing or literally nothing if the course is dead, or cart fee if the course is packed. Be sure to keep her entertained as best you can too. In my experiences, the lady usually gets bored, complains about it being too hot or bored. Then they'll grab a club and ask if they can hit a shot or two.

Thanks

I do this all the time, at tons of different courses, and she's never had to pay. Its never during peak hours mind you, but I think they know she will be buying drinks from the cart staff, halfway house, etc. I wouldnt mind paying a few bucks for her, but would be mad if they made me pay more than $10. my wife will rake the traps for us, get the pin, etc so it actually helps us play faster.

If the course is really slow, I will bring an extra putter for her to use on the greens. Thats about all she would be interested in besides making fun of me, getting a tan, and letting me know which house we should buy.

Thanks
99% of the time it's no big deal at my course. Only time it would ever be an issue is if all of the carts are needed (full tee sheet, big tournament, etc.).

Like if there is four of you playing plus your girlfriend and you need to take three carts for four players. If you are only a threesome and there is no one to pair you up with, it wouldn't be an issue. But if you are three and they are pairing you up, they would probably charge a cart fee. (If it looks like carts are going to be an issue that day)

Thanks
They shouldn't but they might make you pay their cart fee......maybe. I've seen that happen at more expensive clubs or resorts, but daily fee courses you usually can do it with no issues.

Thanks guys. I gave the course a call earlier and had no answer. Actually just got off the phone and he said it should be around $20 (insurance reasons) but to call back when the pro gets there.

I'm taking small steps, she loves golf, watches and even hits the range with me all the time. However she is the type of person who is hard on herself after a bad shot or hole, so she usually will play a couple holes and then just ride along anyways.

I moved this to it's own thread. Others might find good info from this and it will be lost in the banter thread in a couple of hours.

Good idea Smalls, was going to start a thread but decided to throw it in the banter. Thanks

Thanks guys. I gave the course a call earlier and had no answer. Actually just got off the phone and he said it should be around $20 (insurance reasons) but to call back when the pro gets there.

I'm taking small steps, she loves golf, watches and even hits the range with me all the time. However she is the type of person who is hard on herself after a bad shot or hole, so she usually will play a couple holes and then just ride along anyways.

Insurance reasons? LOL anyone who has ever worked at a GC or pro shop will tell you that a simple waiver is needed more than any $ amount. That's hilarious.

I wouldn't play there if they charged me 20 for a ride along. That's a joke.

Yep, I've done it numerous times. Most courses will let you for free if it doesn't necessitate taking another cart. Resort courses will usually charge you just a cart fee though.

Thanks

There are several guys that do this every weekend at my home course and I don't think they ever charge them...but if they did, I assume it would just be a cart fee.

our county courses just jacked the fee up to $20/18 holes for a ride along (used to be 5-10) but is for a 9 y/o and higher.

$20 is WAY high...how much is the normal cart fee at this course??

When I took my 4yr old last year it was $7 for insurance

Some ask for a riding fee - like $5. Others don't worry about it. Give em a call!
Yep, I'd say call and explain the situation, I hope not as the cart is out being used anyway, does it matter who's on it! But that's more of a rant than anything!

I got charged $14 the last time my wife wanted to ride. Which was the regular cart fee. I played my round and then informed the manager I would never return. Paying $7 I would have been content.

Looks like the cart fee is $10. I just saw on the website it also lists $20

Picture9_zpsec1fd7af.png

Haha I would never, ever play there. I'm sorry Tim but that is just some money hungry a-hole making those decisions

I would just stroll to the tee and see if the starter says anything to you. Thats a tough policy IMO.

For $20 for a non golfing rider, I would find a new course to play...that's ridiculous!!

I thought it was kind of high too. Especially when it's only $10 for me.

20 bucks? That seems a bit steep.

The only reason I'm playing there is because I got a coupon from the Chicago Golf Show and it expires next week sometime I believe. So even though I won't be paying full price I suppose it works out.

However, it's the principle of it.

I thought it was kind of high too. Especially when it's only $10 for me.

I think I would go to the clubhouse...pay and get your cart key...drive it to the parking lot to load your gear and pick her up and head to the first tee and pretend you didn't know about the fee.

Back