Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Do you mean the Recoils? If so, no, these had C. Kuas in them.

Yes. Thanks, I was in the middle of editing it.

It was so much fun to watch him play with these. Just long and straight. 215 yard 7 iron is impressive to see in person.
Is that a typo?

Is that a typo?

Believe it or not, that is accurate. I didn't leave anything behind but man, these irons are hot. That's 15 yards further than any 7 iron I've ever hit. And it went straight. Dead straight and long. C Kua stiff graphite shafts held up just fine for me. Great pairing in these iron heads. I'll be building a set in the very near future. Don't tell mrs. Golf4life.

Believe it or not, that is accurate. I didn't leave anything behind but man, these irons are hot. That's 15 yards further than any 7 iron I've ever hit. And it went straight. Dead straight and long. C Kua stiff graphite shafts held up just fine for me. Great pairing in these iron heads. I'll be building a set in the very near future. Don't tell mrs. Golf4life.

Awesomeness. Loved watching you and Buck obliterate these on the range yesterday. Maybe I can get Buck to take some swipes with them tomorrow on the course.

I know these guys keep making believers out of people.
After my round on Saturday I have to say throwing the 5 altitude in the bag was a GREAT idea.
This club alone has possibly altered the rest of my bag set up.
I've usually played a 5i and 4H but I'm getting such great results out of this guy I may be going 3H and 2H (in place of the 5W).

After the Morgan Cup I might even order an altitude 4 to have a shoot out versus a hybo.

That's great to read dhill!

I know these guys keep making believers out of people.
After my round on Saturday I have to say throwing the 5 altitude in the bag was a GREAT idea.
This club alone has possibly altered the rest of my bag set up.
I've usually played a 5i and 4H but I'm getting such great results out of this guy I may be going 3H and 2H (in place of the 5W).

After the Morgan Cup I might even order an altitude 4 to have a shoot out versus a hybo.
Thats impressive dhill, altitudes are getting some serious love from folks. Thats awesome.

Thanks guys. It really is easier to hit for me than my former 5 iron and thinking of it as hybrid iron gets me over the look at address.

Easy = Fun

That's a good approach. I've gamed a 5 hybrid many times.

Do you see a pretty similar flight in comparison to your other irons? How well does it fit into the gap you are looking for?

That's a good approach. I've gamed a 5 hybrid many times.

Do you see a pretty similar flight in comparison to your other irons? How well does it fit into the gap you are looking for?

I get hesitant to talk in terms of specific yardages because my swing is getting better, so I don't want to blanket statement and say these (all of the Cleveland) irons are X yards longer. The truth is I think they are a little longer than my R11's are but with a more confident swing that's helped too.

All that being said, I'd say this club slots really nicely right above my 6i. Maybe just a little longer for me than a 5i MT would be, but at my point if a there is a five yard gap, that isn't going to cause a lot of problems.

It is giving me the confidence to go to the 3H as the 4H is only 1* different than the 5i. There may be a smallish gap there as well but I'm really, really happy I put this club in the bag. My R11 5i only got pulled on par 3's. No confidence from the fairway and that's already changed with the altitude and I've only been acquainted with it for a week.

Awesome. That's a game changer in my opinion. While it's not a shot you expect to have to take a bunch of times a round, having the confidence and ability to hit a club in the 5 iron slot off the fairway is a great asset. Glad it's working for you!

Well I'm back home and these irons are still on my mind.

Let me tell you a little about the forgiveness with these. I was trying to destroy the 4 iron off the tee on a par 4 and toed it so bad I missed the grooves on the iron head. The ball still got out there in the 215 range, and went straight. On the par 5 where I was 205 out and uphill, I hit the 6 iron a little fat and the ball still got there. The sole just kind of skidded over the turf without losing much momentum.

Something else I really like about these is the sound. They sound ironish, not pingy at all. Even in the much bigger 4 iron it sounded good on contact.

The looks, well, honestly they look pretty bloated and ugly to me. But frankly the performance is just so good I can live with it. In fact I think in my 9 hole league and with my regular foursome that ugliness will play to my favor after the competition sees the results.

My biggest complaint with these is they would leave a massive gap in the bottom of my bag. Well actually, loved the scor wedges too. Maybe 4 of those down to 48* would actually work out well alongside the altitudes.

Now my only remaining concern is that the altitudes I was playing had the c. Kua iron shafts in them, not stock graphite. While I had a little time with cookie's altitudes on the range that had I believe the stock graphites, and I was seeing good results there too, I really did like the c. Kuas and have always loved them in my mashies too. Anyone have a set of the C. Kuas lying around in stiff?

Bottom line is I'm looking for a set of these now. I know they are going to lower my scores and I have a post altitude hangover I have to remedy!

dhill37 good to hear the 5 altitude is working well, have you considered a 4 altitude with possibly a graphite shaft to help with your yardage gaps?
I can't emphasize enough to try the classic 7-wood as I am a hybrid guy and that club absolutely performed for me and I am in serious ponder mode, I can especially see this club being ideal on longish par 3 holes. Keep us informed and it is good to hear the altitude 5 is working well for you.

QUOTE=dhill37;2207962]I get hesitant to talk in terms of specific yardages because my swing is getting better, so I don't want to blanket statement and say these (all of the Cleveland) irons are X yards longer. The truth is I think they are a little longer than my R11's are but with a more confident swing that's helped too.

All that being said, I'd say this club slots really nicely right above my 6i. Maybe just a little longer for me than a 5i MT would be, but at my point if a there is a five yard gap, that isn't going to cause a lot of problems.

It is giving me the confidence to go to the 3H as the 4H is only 1* different than the 5i. There may be a smallish gap there as well but I'm really, really happy I put this club in the bag. My R11 5i only got pulled on par 3's. No confidence from the fairway and that's already changed with the altitude and I've only been acquainted with it for a week.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm back home and these irons are still on my mind.

Let me tell you a little about the forgiveness with these. I was trying to destroy the 4 iron off the tee on a par 4 and toed it so bad I missed the grooves on the iron head. The ball still got out there in the 215 range, and went straight. On the par 5 where I was 205 out and uphill, I hit the 6 iron a little fat and the ball still got there. The sole just kind of skidded over the turf without losing much momentum.

Something else I really like about these is the sound. They sound ironish, not pingy at all. Even in the much bigger 4 iron it sounded good on contact.

The looks, well, honestly they look pretty bloated and ugly to me. But frankly the performance is just so good I can live with it. In fact I think in my 9 hole league and with my regular foursome that ugliness will play to my favor after the competition sees the results.

My biggest complaint with these is they would leave a massive gap in the bottom of my bag. Well actually, loved the scor wedges too. Maybe 4 of those down to 48* would actually work out well alongside the altitudes.

Now my only remaining concern is that the altitudes I was playing had the c. Kua iron shafts in them, not stock graphite. While I had a little time with cookie's altitudes on the range that had I believe the stock graphites, and I was seeing good results there too, I really did like the c. Kuas and have always loved them in my mashies too. Anyone have a set of the C. Kuas lying around in stiff?

Bottom line is I'm looking for a set of these now. I know they are going to lower my scores and I have a post altitude hangover I have to remedy!

It is funny you mention the sound because that is the first thing I think of when I think of the round we played. They make a much different sound when you hit them than anyone else. I can say they must be made well because I was sure the face was going to cave in with as hard as you hit the ball.

While at the THP Demo outing in Orlando, I missed a great delivery from my friends at Cleveland Golf!! My iron order for the 2013 Morgan Cup has been fulfilled in the form of the Cleveland Altitudes in 4-DW with stock graphite shaft in stiff flex.

WARNING: you will want to have something handy to wipe away the drool you are about to feel running down your chin. You were warned!!

4 hybrid at address:

7 hybrid at address:

DW hybrid at address:

4H, 7H, & DWH at address:

Cookie, they look great dude.

After this weekend, I really do want a set to tinker with. Badly.

Look awesome Cookie. I know a few guys after trying them this weekend that are dying for a set.

Awesome cookie! Love those grips!

Glad to see your hybrid order arrived.

nice pictures Cookie

These things are just something else. Freakin loved them.

These things are just something else. Freakin loved them.

I kept going back to them again and again at demo day. They toyed with my emotions.

Back