The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a good 45 minutes of drill work in and hit a few balls to go along with that.

Right on dude. Love a good lesson. Have one scheduled for Monday in fact. I was thinking of doing the same thing as you - head to the range right afterwards.

Right on dude. Love a good lesson. Have one scheduled for Monday in fact. I was thinking of doing the same thing as you - head to the range right afterwards.
Although its not an option for many people. That's the beauty of GolfTec. 30 minute lesson directly followed by 30 minutes of practice with the camera and launch monitor so you can really work the lesson into your swing. Having said that. It taking me more than 30 to fix my latest hurdle. But one thing for sure. I understand just based on ball flight exactly what I did and didn't accomplish with each swing. And that is a result of seeing my swing repeatedly in conjunction to the launch monitor

Although its not an option for many people. That's the beauty of GolfTec. 30 minute lesson directly followed by 30 minutes of practice with the camera and launch monitor so you can really work the lesson into your swing. Having said that. It taking me more than 30 to fix my latest hurdle. But one thing for sure. I understand just based on ball flight exactly what I did and didn't accomplish with each swing. And that is a result of seeing my swing repeatedly in conjunction to the launch monitor

I would agree with the last part. The hard part for me is knowing what I should do vs actually doing it. Arggghhh!

I did that quite a bit in the winter time. Lesson, followed by practice at the same facility. Problem was that it got really expensive since I had to pay for the practice time.

After a terrible round last Saturday I took 4 days off and got back to the range last night. It was a good session where I just focused on what has made me a decent ballstriker in the past to try and get back to where I was a couple weeks ago. Best of all, it was a ton of fun! Not every ball went where I wanted it to but I didn't have one hosel rocket, duck hook, the dreaded high and forever right, or thinned ball. I actually think all of my latest problems started when I tried to work the ball left to right with my irons and woods as opposed to right to left...trying to swing out to in or leaving the face open really buggered something up for me.

I spent a good hour at the range yesterday really trying to work on the start of my backswing. I realized with Nates help a lot of my problems start with me sucking the club wayyyy inside on the backswing. I have to ingrain the thought of a much more outside start on my swing so I practiced it a lot yesterday. The differences are night and day when I get the swing started on the right path

Probably hitting the ball farther with a wider takeaway too?

Probably hitting the ball farther with a wider takeaway too?

I think so. It is crazy to lay down an alignment rod right inside the ball and see just how quick with my old swing I was going inside of that thing! Combine that with the fact my hands have decide that they now want to turn over so early and it has led to some really nasty hooks. Need to get my hands figured out too.. Just not sure how to ingrain that feeling

When it all comes together I am seeing some downright beautiful ball flight.

One thing that helped me avoid too much hooking action was to feel like I was extending my hands out at the target on my follow through. I actually just saw something similar on TGC last night that Jack told Martin Hall. He wanted to feel like his right palm was facing upward when it was in front of him on the follow through.

One thing that helped me avoid too much hooking action was to feel like I was extending my hands out at the target on my follow through. I actually just saw something similar on TGC last night that Jack told Martin Hall. He wanted to feel like his right palm was facing upward when it was in front of him on the follow through.

That is a good swing thought to have I think. I am going to have to try that and to try to feel like the butt of the club is leading the hands.. It is a work in process, but I am working hard on improving my game right now

Nice work Taylor! Glad some of it is working out thus far!

Spent over 2 hours at the range yesterday. Wanted to split it about half and half between short game and full swing, but ended up spending more time on the full swing for 2 reasons. The silly reason: a lot of little kids took over the putting green, made it really hard to get some good practice in over there. Real reason: my full swing completely sucked for a good while.

I was only going to hit 2 buckets, ended up hitting 3 buckets. The first bucket and a half were awful: dispersion all over the place and distance was pretty bad too. I figured out that I was cutting across the ball and not using my lower body all that much while swinging the club either. My grip had also gone a little weaker than normal. So I made my grip stronger and also worked pretty hard on trying to start my downswing with my lower body. The direction of my iron shots got better after that. There is a flag at my range that is 160 yards out, which last year was a normal 6 iron for me. I was coming up 5-10 yards short consistently of that flag yesterday, which has been my MO this year. It's weird, I'm more accurate with my irons this year but a little shorter than last year. I'm not sure where to go with that, I was working on a bigger shoulder turn last night as well which resulted in some shots that had better distance. I have a lesson with my pro in a couple of weeks (the guy is really busy), I'm going to have him look at my swing to see if there are power leaks going on.

Spent an hour and a half on the practice green last night, mainly focusing on chipping and pitching. I absolutely stripped the ball on Monday, hitting 13/18 greens, but was 1/5 scrambling and had 3 3-putts. Had a few things going against me, the biggest was not being able to get a chip inside of 6ft or so. Really focused on accelerating through the ball rather than just sticking it into the ground. Mixed in some lag putting which got miles better and finished up with some 4-8ft putts. Playing both of the next 2 nights so we'll see if it pays off.

Went to the range last night with some key things to work on. The number 1 thing on my agenda was to lengthen my swing. My swing has gotten very short which is causing some major issues. For the most part I had what I considered a good session. It was not nearly as miserable as my lesson on Tuesday night. With me I brought a 9 iron, 5 iron, driver(with 2 shafts). Here is a quick comparison picture from last nights driver swings, compared to some from Monday's round.

Monday
Spoiler

Last Night
Spoiler

As you can see, the position at the top of the swing is much different. Longer and getting me more to a parallel position. I hit the ball fairly well doing these swings. The driver certainly launched a little lower. Hopefully I will be able to carry this longer swing with me to the course this weekend. Time will tell on that, but one thing is for sure, I left the range much happier last night than I have in a while.

That's a pretty significant change Dean. Hopefully it translates to the course for you. My range sessions finally have started to show on the course and all I can say is it's about damn time.

That's a pretty significant change Dean. Hopefully it translates to the course for you. My range sessions finally have started to show on the course and all I can say is it's about damn time.

sure is. I think it helped me slow my temp down some too, which I need. Now just matter of how often I can do it on the course.

Good to hear your sessions are starting to pay off. All it takes is time and effort right? Plus you have a badass bag setup now so that can only help

sure is. I think it helped me slow my temp down some too, which I need. Now just matter of how often I can do it on the course.

Good to hear your sessions are starting to pay off. All it takes is time and effort right? Plus you have a badass bag setup now so that can only help

For sure, I think sometimes we get caught up in just "pounding balls" at the range and really don't necessarily gauge how accurate we can be, so while it may be a nice, straight shot on the range, it could be a ball pulled nice and straight into the woods on the course. So I've really tried to focus on not just hitting balls, but really picking a target and aiming at it.

For sure, I think sometimes we get caught up in just "pounding balls" at the range and really don't necessarily gauge how accurate we can be, so while it may be a nice, straight shot on the range, it could be a ball pulled nice and straight into the woods on the course. So I've really tried to focus on not just hitting balls, but really picking a target and aiming at it.

I used to get like that. Last year I had issues with alignment, but like you said on an open range shots looked good, but I had no clue where I was aimed. So my pro got me in to a routine of rotating targets. So every 2 or 3 shots I step back and pick a different target. Got used to aiming right, aiming left, and so on. I thought that helped a lot.

I think it looks good ddec. Good work buddy!

Putted for 30 minutes this morning. Three footers and 5-footers.

Looking good Dean...great position at the top!

Putted for 40 min yesterday and today. Hit limited flight balls for 40 min past two days as well at work.

Putted for 40 min yesterday and today. Hit limited flight balls for 40 min past two days as well at work.

when you putt for that long are you doing drills? What types are you doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back