Diane

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you know the answers/logic to these, but I don't.
  • Why can you have a non-circular grip on a putter, but not on other clubs?
  • Why do they call it nearest point of relief when it may be a more difficult shot?
  • Why do you get the penalty if someone putts into your ball on the green? They hit you.
  • Why do men always have nicer/larger bathrooms at many golf courses?
  • Why is it if you take a practice swing on the tee and accidently move your ball, you don't incur a penalty, but if you accidently move it with a practice swing anywhere else on the course, you do incur a penalty?

I will answer your question with another question? Why do women have nicer and larger bathrooms just about everywhere else other than the golf course?

Answer - Because it is used more often.

I'm sure some of you know the answers/logic to these, but I don't.
  • Why can you have a non-circular grip on a putter, but not on other clubs?
  • Why do they call it nearest point of relief when it may be a more difficult shot?
  • Why do you get the penalty if someone putts into your ball on the green? They hit you.
  • Why is it if you take a practice swing on the tee and accidently move your ball, you don't incur a penalty, but if you accidently move it with a practice swing anywhere else on the course, you do incur a penalty?

• You can have a non-circular grip on another club
  • it's relief from the obstruction, not the difficulty
  • have a read of 19-5 a. and tell me what it says
  • the men's bathroom on the golf course is somewhere between 100 and 300 acres and has a very, very high ceiling. Women are free to use it too, though it may be a little awkward
  • ball in play vs ball not in play

• the men's bathroom on the golf course is somewhere between 100 and 300 acres and has a very, very high ceiling. Women are free to use it too, though it may be a little awkward

Please keep in mind that the 100 to 300 acre men's room you speak of has only urinals. I hope.

Kevin

• You can have a non-circular grip on another club
I don't think that's right:
USGA: Rules and Decisions

3. Grip (see Fig. VII) The grip consists of material added to the shaft to enable the player to obtain a firm hold. The grip must be fixed to the shaft, must be straight and plain in form, must extend to the end of the shaft and must not be molded for any part of the hands. If no material is added, that portion of the shaft designed to be held by the player must be considered the grip.

65e5ff63-488e-4ce3-adc2-b46b8b4e0746.gif

(i) For clubs other than putters the grip must be circular in cross-section, except that a continuous, straight, slightly raised rib may be incorporated along the full length of the grip, and a slightly indented spiral is permitted on a wrapped grip or a replica of one.

(ii) A putter grip may have a non-circular cross-section, provided the cross-section has no concavity, is symmetrical and remains generally similar throughout the length of the grip. (See Clause (v), below.)

(iii) The grip may be tapered but must not have any bulge or waist. Its cross-sectional dimensions measured in any direction must not exceed 1.75 inches (44.45 mm).

(iv) For clubs other than putters the axis of the grip must coincide with the axis of the shaft.

(v) A putter may have two grips, provided each is circular in cross-section, the axis of each coincides with the axis of the shaft, and they are separated by at least 1.5 inches (38 mm).

Harry - Ty may not follow USGA rules since he established his handicap in England.

Sorry Ty - I tried.

Now Harry - can you explain the logic behind this rule? That's what I really want to know.

Sorry Ty - I tried.

Now Harry - can you explain the logic behind this rule? That's what I really want to know.

Well clearly, it's circular logic.

I don't think that's right:
USGA: Rules and Decisions

Hi Harry

The bit in red that you highlighted. What does it say? Because when I read it, it looks like the words "except that a continuous, straight, slightly raised rib may be incorporated along the full length of the grip" are in there. My reading of that is that the grip doesn't need to be circular in cross-section.

Am I reading wrong?

I think it was clear from Diane's initial post that she was referring to putter grips which can be non-round (i.e. flat on one side) to other clubs which cannot have flat (or otherwise non-circular) sides.

If you want to start splitting hairs over ribbed grips, then you could also argue that grips with dimples are not round either.

Yes, that is what I meant. I was reading the USGA site - yes for fun and came across that, but I still don't know the logic behind it.

I think it was clear from Diane's initial post that she was referring to putter grips which can be non-round (i.e. flat on one side) to other clubs which cannot have flat (or otherwise non-circular) sides.

If you want to start splitting hairs over ribbed grips, then you could also argue that grips with dimples are not round either.

Agreed, but it was the rib that I was thinking of when I posted my original response.

Diane

I'm not sure if you looked at 19-5 a., but you don't get the penalty. They do.

Been in a lot of men's bathrooms have you???

I play mostly at public courses, and I don't think it would be possible for the women's bathrooms to be less nice/small.

Been in a lot of men's bathrooms have you???

I play mostly at public courses, and I don't think it would be possible for the women's bathrooms to be less nice/small.

On golf courses - yes. Try playing in a shotgun with only women playing. You take advantage of every bathroom that is available.

Yes, that is what I meant. I was reading the USGA site - yes for fun and came across that, but I still don't know the logic behind it.

I might suggest that you must have been having a really boring day at the office. :D

Why can you have a non-circular grip on a putter, but not on other clubs?
I am guessing the answers:

You can't have the non-circular grip on 'other clubs' because it would make proper alignment of the hands too easy, and we can't have that!

With the putter it doesn't matter as much, because the curves of the green are considered to give a golfer enough grief already.

Just tell me where and when.

We had 22 women and 2 men today. Most of our outings are like that. We do give gender neutral prizes now though since one guy won a golf skirt last year.

Back