Swine Flu Vaccine

• Yes

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • Haven't decided/Don't know

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
Listening to NPR this morning, I learned the nasal vaccine actually has live virus in it, but weakened. The injectible virus will be dead virus. Think I'll wait for the injectible if I need to get it.

Yep. I haven't heard a good reason why I shouldn't.

You didn't get the flu because of you got a flu shot. It's not a live vaccine, so it's not possible. Most people don't even have the flu when they say they have the flu. You know because they are back up and around too quick. I'm not saying you didn't have the flu, but it was probably because they guessed the wrong strain.

(I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday In Express last night!)

Oh no i definitely had the flu. I was working at a doctors office at the time and everyone on staff had to get the flu shot. They told us there was a chance we would actually get the flu from it but it was rare. Sure enough I got the flu the doctor I worked for confirmed it.

Oh no i definitely had the flu. I was working at a doctors office at the time and everyone on staff had to get the flu shot. They told us there was a chance we would actually get the flu from it but it was rare. Sure enough I got the flu the doctor I worked for confirmed it.

I don't doubt that you had the flu, but I question whether or not you were infected by the shot or had already been infected, just not exhibiting symptoms before you got the shot. Dead virus, which is what is in flu shots, just cannot give you the flu.

Years ago, they used a weakened virus, but I would suspect that you are not old enough to have had one of those vaccines.

From the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/protect/keyfacts.htm

Vaccine Side Effects (What to Expect)
Different side effects can be associated with the flu shot and LAIV.

The flu shot: The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. Some minor side effects that could occur are:

Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
Fever (low grade)
Aches
If these problems occur, they begin soon after the shot and usually last 1 to 2 days. Almost all people who receive influenza vaccine have no serious problems from it. However, on rare occasions, flu vaccination can cause serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions. As of July 1, 2005, people who think that they have been injured by the flu shot can file a claim for compensation from the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP).

I don't doubt that you had the flu, but I question whether or not you were infected by the shot or had already been infected, just not exhibiting symptoms before you got the shot. Dead virus, which is what is in flu shots, just cannot give you the flu.

Years ago, they used a weakened virus, but I would suspect that you are not old enough to have had one of those vaccines.

I was convinced I got the flu from the flu shot. Even if it wasn't from that, which apparently it wasn't, I am still not getting the swine flu shot.

I had the regular flu shot. I haven't made up my mind about the swine flu.

MSN says one in five kids have had the flu this month. Most of those were probably swine flu. At least they won't need the shot when it comes out.

The local health department is releasing a bunch of vaccine first thing tomorrow for some "priority" groups, so I'm taking the two kids at home to the clinic for the H1N1 shots at 7AM on Saturday!

Too bad I'm going to have to wait. It'd be nice to only have to wait in line once! :smile:

MSN says one in five kids have had the flu this month. Most of those were probably swine flu. At least they won't need the shot when it comes out.
The Salt Lake Valley Health Department said that about 90% of the kids' flu cases they're hearing about right now is due to H1N1. So at least here in Utah, if you see the flu, it's probably H1N1.

This might be just me but when I was a kid and you got the flu, everyone just figured you had eaten some bad Mexican food or something. Now a days we have mass hysteria with people walking around with gas masks at the airport, parents locking there families in bomb shelters converted to germ free zones and so on.

Im sure its bad but is this the media starting wide spread panic again?

I think we're exposed to more now since more people travel globally. It was easier to keep outbreaks contained in the past. That being said - the media does add a bit of panic.

Back