What's your warm up routine?

I don't know if I'd be able to play if I didn't have a range available. I usually get started about 45 minutes to an hour before my round. I'll spend about 10 or so minutes putting and getting a feel for the greens. Then I'll move to the range and usually hit 4 clubs (either SW, 8I, Driver, 3W or GW, 7I, Driver, 3W). I do the same routine every round. If I get done with the range and still have some time left before I tee off, I'll go back to the putting green, otherwise, I'll head off to the first tee.

For some reason, I feel stiff as a board every time I get to the golf course, so it usually takes me a little bit to get warmed up.

I don't have a range at my course. My warmup routine consists of swinging the club 10-12 times, full, fast swings, each one having more torso twist a little further. Then maybe just a few stretches, like 30 seconds worth just to continue loosening my back.

Then I play. I've considered adopting the Jiminez warmup routine.

~Rock

In a perfect world, which means I don't often do it, I use about 10 balls for Peltz finesse shots, then maybe 3 or 4 balls with short iron, mid iron, FW and driver. Just want to loosen up and see what kind of swing I have that day. Then I move to the short game area and reinforce chipping basics. Then I like to drop a couple of tees and putt to get a feel for distance control.

In a more real world, time constrained world, I am lucky to putt a few and I hold two clubs at once and take practice swings to loosen up, then I go.

I really struggle to find the time for a game, so I envy you guys who get to spend an hour warming up!

Nothing out of the ordinary for me. Stretch the arms/back/shoulders a little bit and hopefully hit a small bucket. I really only want to hit 20 balls or so and don't focus on much, other than getting the muscles warm and pliable. If I don't get there in time to warm up, I almost always struggle through the first 3 or 4 holes at least. It takes me that long.

when i pull into the parking lot i visualize hitting a bucket of balls . by the time im done with that bucket im on the tee

I like to hit the gym 2-3 hours before my tee time. It helps me get loose for the range and usually have a good round.

I usually will stretch before a round. Below is my routine. I also will hit a small bucket of balls, hit some chips and pitches then spend a good 15-20 min putting. I'm usually at the course 1 hour before my round.

photo2_zps25ab3c23.png

I would usually sit around on a bench at the range, eat 2 brakfast burritos, drink a coffee, and then do a bit of stretching.

If I had money for range balls, I might get some. Otherwise for full swing warmup I would hit broken tees that were left on the range, maybe 2 or 3 minutes max.

Head to the practice green, do a bit of chipping, some long putts for lagging practice, and then about 10 five footers from a circle from around the cup.

I would try and get there an hour early on weekends and do all this to get nice and relaxed. On week-days after work, its usually hop out of the car, load up the gear, a couple chips/putts and then onto the tee.

Swing 2 irons for a minute, stretch out my legs and shoulders and back, then play!

I do a little stretching, then hit the range with a small or medium bucket.
I always start the range with my 52 degree wedge and 56 wedge together and do some slow swings back and forth like hitting a baseball.
Then I start chipping about a dozen balls with my 52 deg wedge.
Next I move to the full swing with the 56 for maybe 10 balls, then the same with the 8 iron, then the 5 iron. After those, I use a short tee and hit 5 or 6 with the 3 wood and then 5 or 6 more without the tee.
Lastly is the driver. I hit 6 or 8 shots with it and then I am ready to head for the putting green. There I only hit 5 or 6 putts since I am only trying to get the feel of the swing. I aim at a hole, but don't really care if it goes in.
In my opinion, practice greens are nothing like the real ones, so I don't want that feel stuck in my head as I start the round. I just want to feel the good stroke and good contact on the putter face.

Jump out of the pickup, throw the clubs in the bag, grab some cold ones and head out to the #1 tee box. I'm terrible about actually warming up. The last tourney I played in I did give myself some time to warm up. I put on the headphones and hit a mini bucket. After I went to the practice green and missed some putts. Couldn't tell the difference.

I don't know that its warm up as much as getting ready to play. There is no range at the course I frequent so its hit a few in the net, go putt, hit a few more on the net, a little stretching some putting and go.
I have found that as my swing has improved it takes less and less time to warm up my full swing.

Lol, after my long post earlier, today it was spitting rain and I was in a hurry, plus had the course to myself because of said rain, so just got out and took 3 practice swings and off I went. Shot 74, so didn't seem to hurt me.

Pre shot routine for me is picking what club I'm going to use and walking up to the ball. I don't really have one.

When I am playing my home course, which is seven minutes away, I try to get in three to five minutes on the Twenty Yards More before I leave the house.

I'll be honest, my warm up routine is a couple of practice swings on the first tee, then hope for the best.

I don't usually get the chance to warm up. Most rounds are played after work and the only thing on my mind is to get out on the course before the crowd shows up. If I were to warm up, it would turn into a 5 hour round due to all the people that get there at the same time. And play the course like it's the US Open.

two-club swinging and stretching with clubs (ie: put butt of club on hip and reach for the head on both sides, swing bent over, swing & turn, etc.)

When I have the time, I start at the range. A couple stretches, literally, about two. I'll start with the PW, 5-6 100 yard punches. Then 3-4 full with the PW and 6i. Lastly the driver, 3-4 unless I pure the first or second. If so, that's the end of the range session and onto the putting green for 15 minutes or so.

I always make sure I do plenty of stretches to loosen up first, then if the course has one, I will try to get to the range and hit some balls - always the smallest basket they offer which is usually around 25 or so, half the basket is usually spent hitting 3 or 4 full shots with something like PW, 8i, 5i and 3W, then the rest is usually the PW to short targets to get my feel for the short shots

Then I will try and spend some time on the putting green just to get a feel for the speed (assuming the putting green is the same speed as the course greens.....)

After that, it is the pre-shot routine on the first tee with a practice swing followed by crushing one out of the middle of the club straight down the middle of the fairway.....well....that is the plan....

Thanks all, some interesting approaches from tour grade prep to negligible!

Think I need to work more on loosening up beforehand, then focus on swings at course, even if only practice.

Gary Player had a great one. Make a backswing and hold at parallel, then push back further and hold. Do this 3 times and the same on the follow through. He said it has always helped him loosen out.

It is one i always do and i add in a few smooth swings as well. It's a quick simple warm up

No real warm up for me. Generally get to the first tee, take a few swings to get the body moving while the first to tee of gets set. Then a couple of practice swings before getting the ball in the air.

A few stretches, then I hit some balls with sand wedge, 7 iron, and finish with driver. From there, I roll some putts and head to the tee. Going from the car to the first tee is awful for me.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Back