KBS C-Taper Lite Iron Shaft - Review Thread

I am interested in giving these a shot for sure. I just soft stepped my Tours is order to get the ball flight up so it will be interesting to see if that helps or if moving to these will produce the outcome I am looking for.

Since that's what I've been saying again and again so far, that would be a pretty good guess Mr. Shrimptail. :alien:

People shouldn't jump to the conclusion of no feel, this is why that is THE hardest thing to talk about when it comes to golf club shafts. They feel really nice, I just do not want people to expect the exact same feel as the Tour's, because IMO that is just not the case with these (or ANY other iron shaft on the market TBH).

That's interesting, I've never cared for the way the Tours felt (a little harsh and somewhat dead/heavy to me) nor the ball flight (way too low) but I really like the feel and ball flight of the C Tapers. I suppose that's why they make different shafts...

How would you describe the ball flight, launch and spin vs the regular C Tapers??

Since that's what I've been saying again and again so far, that would be a pretty good guess Mr. Shrimptail. :alien:

People shouldn't jump to the conclusion of no feel, this is why that is THE hardest thing to talk about when it comes to golf club shafts. They feel really nice, I just do not want people to expect the exact same feel as the Tour's, because IMO that is just not the case with these (or ANY other iron shaft on the market TBH).

Haha jerk, that's what I was implying. Feel is so subjective that they may feel perfect and better than the tours to me and worse for Howzat.

Have you tried messing around with flighting them yet or with in between yardage shots? Or pretty much full swings?

That's interesting, I've never cared for the way the Tours felt (a little harsh and somewhat dead/heavy to me) nor the ball flight (way too low) but I really like the feel and ball flight of the C Tapers. I suppose that's why they make different shafts...

How would you describe the ball flight, launch and spin vs the regular C Tapers??

You're the fist person I've ever heard call the Tour's dead, not trying to sound mean here, just being honest. They're really the originators that feel could exist in a steel iron shaft.

As to the CT comparison, WAY higher (a good thing IMO as the CT's are true low launchers for many), and with that launch naturally comes more spin too.

Haha jerk, that's what I was implying. Feel is so subjective that they may feel perfect and better than the tours to me and worse for Howzat.

Have you tried messing around with flighting them yet or with in between yardage shots? Or pretty much full swings?

I know, you just set yourself up for that. I almost left the "you should read the forum sometime" comment instead hehe.

I've flighted them and taken a lot of 3/4 shots as well as extra balls, no problem keeping it down at all. In fact, I had a beautiful little 115 yard shot into a green that was dead into the wind and I played a little 3/4 knockdown PW with no problem to 5 feet. They respond really well given the highish launch, that's one of the things thats impressed me a lot so far. Heck, I even played a rope-hook-me-Jesus yesterday with a 9i from 140 out.

You're the fist person I've ever heard call the Tour's dead, not trying to sound mean here, just being honest. They're really the originators that feel could exist in a steel iron shaft.

As to the CT comparison, WAY higher (a good thing IMO as the CT's are true low launchers for many), and with that launch naturally comes more spin too.

I know, I've tried them in various combinations of flexes/tip sizes and the Tours always felt boardy and heavy to me. No liveliness to them at all. And the ones I've owned were S flex that I just couldn't launch if my life depended on it...

This is good to hear from the standpoint that the C Taper Lites might be a good application for a long iron. I think I see a Ping i20 3 &/or 4 iron with these in my future...:D

I know, I've tried them in various combinations of flexes/tip sizes and the Tours always felt boardy and heavy to me. No liveliness to them at all. And the ones I've owned were S flex that I just couldn't launch if my life depended on it...

This is good to hear from the standpoint that the C Taper Lites might be a good application for a long iron. I think I see a Ping i20 3 &/or 4 iron with these in my future...:D

Why not the full set if I may ask? Especially if you say you couldn't launch the Tour's in S? That's strange to me as the CT's you're playing are actually a flex stronger/stouter than the tours.

What kinda numbers were you getting with the tours? If I took what you said and described a low launching, harsh feeling shaft, there'd be more PX answers than Kbs tours

I hate that I missed all this conversation, but I was doing the dad thing. Jman, that was a solid amalgamation of thoughts there buddy. After yesterday I am very excited about getting these things in play again.

I hate that I missed all this conversation, but I was doing the dad thing. Jman, that was a solid amalgamation of thoughts there buddy. After yesterday I am very excited about getting these things in play again.

You had me at amalgamation. No wonder I like you. Hahaha

It was a fin convo while it lasted, though I'm still a bit confused by it, but I digress.

I look forward to your thoughts buddy, I'll be busy all day tomorrow working on giving you some more work. hahaha

After swinging some 110 grams shafts in the yard just now, I want these even more. So perfect. Thanks for the info Jman!

Why not the full set if I may ask? Especially if you say you couldn't launch the Tour's in S? That's strange to me as the CT's you're playing are actually a flex stronger/stouter than the tours.

Oh definitely, I would love to play the full set but I'm going to start by adding the 4-iron i20 to my set with the C-Taper Lite. If the results translate, then I'll probably go up through my 8-iron. How is the short iron performance??

I have no clue as to WHY regarding the Tours, it makes zero sense to me but it's my reality. I've tried and they just don't or won't launch for me. Tried them two years ago in Mizuno MP 60s, last year in a set of Mizuno MP 58s and this past month in a set of Callaway X Hot Pros and I get the same results; low launch, low spin and low trajectory. Each time I tried a different shaft (usually PX 5.5 or DG S300) and results were back to normal. Fast-forward, the regular C-Tapers launch equivalently to PX 5.5 for me but flatten quicker and pierce the wind more, less ballooning. On a monitor, I'll launch a 6-iron between 17-19*, the Tours are like 13-15...

Back to the C-Tapers, I'm really excited about them and your write-up was very well done. Great information and insight!!

What kinda numbers were you getting with the tours? If I took what you said and described a low launching, harsh feeling shaft, there'd be more PX answers than Kbs tours

You would think but the PX 5.5 was always a great shaft for me. I normally play my iron shafts a bit softer, my C-Tapers are soft-stepped once. I really like that 6.0 CPM range. Launch on the Tours is very poor, 13-15* 6-iron. Change shafts to anything else pretty much and I'm good to go. Don't get me wrong, I love KBS shafts just not the Tours. The only thing I haven't tried was Regular flex Tours but I don't want to stray too far on the CPMs...

Word on the street is that I'll have my X Forged irons with the C-Taper Lite installed back in my possession tomorrow. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be getting my MC X Forged with stock PXi possibly the same day.

Hawk and Jman have me so anxious to put these shafts to the test!!! This will be a very revealing head to head comparison, I'm excited to get started!

Word on the street is that I'll have my X Forged irons with the C-Taper Lite installed back in my possession tomorrow. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be getting my MC X Forged with stock PXi possibly the same day.

Hawk and Jman have me so anxious to put these shafts to the test!!! This will be a very revealing head to head comparison, I'm excited to get started!

I think you're going to be taken aback by them a bit, in a good way. I just know for me and I think Hawk as well they were not at all what we expected.

Not to mention, they look incredible in the xforged Jake, this I know for a fact! Hahaha

These look absolutely stunning and I can't remember saying that about shafts. I am interested to hear about the results and looking forward to the feedback. Good luck!!

Not to mention, they look incredible in the xforged Jake, this I know for a fact! Hahaha

I await your write-up on the Ping i20 7-iron CTL, with baited breath...

I can about imagine how awesome that finish of the shaft looks compared to that gorgeous chrome finish on the irons. I can't wait!!!

Range tomorrow?

I await your write-up on the Ping i20 7-iron CTL, with baited breath...

You'll be waiting a while. Seeing as the three of us have all three spectrums of irons covered right now I'll likely be rocking them in the altitudes for an extended period of time while Jake brings the xforged and Hawk the rocketbladez. Eventually, but not immediately.

17-20 mph winds with 25+ gusts. Flighting hasn't been an issue. Also played one into a hard cross wind to account on a par 3 with an 8i and it didn't budge from where I aimed. Hmmmm

Range tomorrow?
I won't have them in time for a lunch time range run bud. I'll get them when I get off work though. I'm immediately taking them to my match play league and throwing them right into the fire. I feel sorry for the suckers I get to beat tomorrow night!

I won't have them in time for a lunch time range run bud. I'll get them when I get off work though. I'm immediately taking them to my match play league and throwing them right into the fire. I feel sorry for the suckers I get to beat tomorrow night!

Remember, GRIPS!

17-20 mph winds with 25+ gusts. Flighting hasn't been an issue. Also played one into a hard cross wind to account on a par 3 with an 8i and it didn't budge from where I aimed. Hmmmm

That's very interesting.

Back