Puma ZL Golf Shoes - Forum Testing Review

I probably won't know much about foot fatigue till thursday morning. In my Nike I would get up in the morning and could barely walk so I'll interested to see if I have this issue. Another I'm going to watch is my Nikes had a tendency to rub a little spot on my middle toe or my right foot. So I'll be interested to see if this happens as well.

Live round posting here...nine holes and no real complaints so far. Feeling a touch of a warm spot on the inside of my right heal just below the ankle. Probably need to break the shoe in alittle more and that will stop. Feet feel very comfortable and not tired at all. Its mid 70's right now.

Live round posting here...nine holes and no real complaints so far. Feeling a touch of a warm spot on the inside of my right heal just below the ankle. Probably need to break the shoe in alittle more and that will stop. Feet feel very comfortable and not tired at all. Its mid 70's right now.
Nice! Love the mid-round update!

Not sure how much detail this will show as its hard to get a good pic out in the sun..but hopefully it will show some.

20130605_142651_zpsf1158812.jpg

Nice! Love the mid-round update!

did have my first swing slippage. Was going after one on a drive and slipped on the down swing. No harm no foul but that is the first one after 8 and half rounds..

So testing has been cut short today. That warm spot I mentioned a post or two ago turned into a full on dime sized blister by 18. Got to the point that it getting painful to walk and thus was making my ankle hurt because I was walking unnaturally. I'll get a pic up in a minute once I get changed and showered. But it appears to be in the area of where the harder material in the back, the black stripe, and thr regular white shoe leather all come together. I do have a bit of a tendency to walk on the inside of my right foot more so that could be the Issue but this is an issue I have never had before. On the flip side I did birdie 4 the 18th..

That's odd, I've yet to have anything like that happen. Could the sock have anything to do with it?

Here is a pic of the blister. This was about 15 minutes after I finished my round.

20130605_164905_zps40bfe0e3.jpg

That's odd, I've yet to have anything like that happen. Could the sock have anything to do with it?

doubt it. I have wore these same socks to play in before. Actually might have even wore them at the outing. I will a different pair the next round I play.

Ouch, blisters are brutal. Interesting that this happened on the first round you walked in them.

Blisters occur from an ill fit. So if one is happening, check the fit of the shoes where they are happening.

Good reviews boys, keep it going

Blisters occur from an ill fit. So if one is happening, check the fit of the shoes where they are happening.
Think after looking at the shape of the back an comparing to my Nikes its a little wider and doesn't hug my foot as much. Looking at my sock there was a rub spot where black liner stained the white on my sock. I'm going to get some little foam pieces to insert in the back of heal area to snug the fit up some and try and center my heal a little more in the back.

Ouch, blisters are brutal. Interesting that this happened on the first round you walked in them.

My guess is JB is on to something I'm not sure they are as tight in the back as my Nikes. Probably the reason I hadnt had a problem to this point was just a lack of walking in them. While I had walked a fair amount, I hadn't walked 5 and half miles with a bag on my shoulders. I'm going to get some foam cups to put in the heal to try and center my foot a little better and snug up the fit some and then give them another go. I'm going to play tomorrow weather permitting and will wear my black Nikes and see if it makes the affected area worse.

I can report that other than the blister my feet felt wonderful this morning and no pain or fatigue from yesterday. So there is a great number of pluses, just got figure out this heal situation.

A quick update from my round on Sunday. We played Cart path only as the courses down here were SOAKED. So, tons of walking all over the place in nasty, sloppy conditions. In earlier reviews, I talked about that the shoes wipe down easy and dont hold dirt and junk in them.

So, I snapped some pictures post-round, after not having cleaned the bottoms off at all. I hadnt hit them against the ground, knocked them off together or anything. I did wipe them down with my towel at the turn, but just quickly and a quick wipe to get some mud off the top.

These pics are immediately after the round, no cleaning;

00AB950E-orig_zps649f1132.jpg

7e615175-6c58-47e5-b949-10a5133823bb_zps78a73425.jpg

I am quite surprised at how clean the bottoms of these stay during a round. Most shoes I have had get clumped with dirt/grass/etc during a round, but these, just do not. I love that about them. A quick wipe down after a round and they are back to looking great.

A quick update from my round on Sunday. We played Cart path only as the courses down here were SOAKED. So, tons of walking all over the place in nasty, sloppy conditions. In earlier reviews, I talked about that the shoes wipe down easy and dont hold dirt and junk in them.

So, I snapped some pictures post-round, after not having cleaned the bottoms off at all. I hadnt hit them against the ground, knocked them off together or anything. I did wipe them down with my towel at the turn, but just quickly and a quick wipe to get some mud off the top.

These pics are immediately after the round, no cleaning;

00AB950E-orig_zps649f1132.jpg

7e615175-6c58-47e5-b949-10a5133823bb_zps78a73425.jpg

I am quite surprised at how clean the bottoms of these stay during a round. Most shoes I have had get clumped with dirt/grass/etc during a round, but these, just do not. I love that about them. A quick wipe down after a round and they are back to looking great.
The bottoms are super clean.

War, that is flat out shocking how clean the bottoms are after a wet round. I usually have to use a tee and some hardcore pounding to get the bottoms of most of my shoes that clean.

Nice war. I wondered with all the rain if you would get a chance to get out play in the mud with these.

have been so freaking busy and never home over the last 5 days I haven't even been to thr range. But looks like I have some range time coming up tomorrow after work so I'll get some work in on these and get back with some thoughts. I haven't had a chance to get any inserts for heal situation. But I'm going to wear them anyway and wear a completely different sock. I won't have the walking around but it will tell me if the comfort changes at all.

Got a dew sweeper round of 18 in this morning and then about 2 hours of range work all done before 11. I'll be back this afternoon with some thoughts and pics that might surprise some.

Playing Monday, will see if I can give myself some different lies and test traction etc.

Keygan, your spoiler has me intrigued!

Alright after spending the day yesterday introducing Tennis and more importantly golf to my g/f daughter and a wedding reception that evening I didn't get a chance to get my review up.

So after deciding that I wanted to play golf yesterday I called my course middle of the week and asked for the first tee time...0630 is the response. I said I'll take it. Me and playing partner rode because he had to be at work at 1000. So while I didn't get to walk the full 18, I did walk some and didn't experience any issue with the heal blister that I had last week. But the one issue I did have was grass clogging up the soles of my shoes. And It was doing a good job and wrapping its self around everything on the sole of my shoe and filling in every nook and cranny on them. I Was finally able to get some the grass out of them but they filled up just as quick again. Not sure if it was a combo of the grass and dew or what. But it was pretty disappointing to see them fill with so much grass. Hadn't had this issue up to this point and even when walking in freshly mowen grass I haven't had this issue.

In reguards to the dew I had no issue at all with my socks getting wet, my feet being wet, nothing. The water proofing of these shoes is top notch. It was wet enough that I had a nice amount of water dripping off them when I would put my feet up in the cart. No issue what so ever with water and I would be these would keep your feet dry and cool in a monsoon.

Now to the range. I did my normal post round range work for about two hours. My feet never got sore, never got hot, nothing. Its so nice to know that after a round I can then put in another couple hours of work and my feet still be comfortable, cool and dry. After getting my shoes mostly clean after my round I figured being that I was on the range I wouldn't have an issue with them clogging up. Was I wrong. They was packed. I was shocked. I did wonder around my little area some, but never really walked around where the divots where. But you would have thought I walked in the divot landfill for an hour. I think has to do something with the fact the ground was just damp but not real wet. That's the only thing I can think.

Overall I'm very happy with these. I'm looking forward to wearing them again to walk. I actually wore the same brand socks, just a different pair and I didn't seem to have same slippage issue as I had the last round. Still will be something that I will pay attention too.

Here are what the bottom of my shoes looked like after my range session.
20130615_110532_zpsb1005dc1.jpg
20130615_110524_zpsb8c189b9.jpg

Woah, Keygan...that's crazy!?

Was the grass just recently cut? I could see that causing a problem, if so.

I have yet to see anything like that in my rounds.

Holy crap that's a lot of grass. I've not seen anything like that even with 8am tee times.

As I haven't got round to cleaning the soles of my ACF, I will pop a picture up in that thread of the soles after yesterdays round showing how the grass has clogged up the heel area but not the rest of the foot. It looks like the ZL shoes have a different sole pattern to the ACF although it is a bit hard to tell from the picture above.....but I have not seen mine get as clogged up as those ones Playdough

Edit - picture of the soles added below

IMAG0087_zps1eaeb895.jpg

Last edited:
We had just about perfect growing conditions for grass so the rough at my course has gotten away from a couple of times so there has been sections of the course that have a fair amount of grass clipping laying around parts of the course but considering I was riding and a good chunk of my day in the fairway I was really surprised. Even more surprised by thr driving range because I pretty much hung in one spot that had the most grass on the entire range. I'm getting out again at least once this week and will see how it pans out for that round.

Back