A Golf Skirt By Any Other Name

Diane

Reaction score
As you all probably know by now, I don't like that other word that people use for golf skirt - it sounds dirty to me, which is why I think some people like it. Anyway, I was reading today's NY Times and an article on designer jeans had yet another made-up word - "jeggings" - which are the tightest of skinny jeans. That doesn't sound as dirty to me although I know Smallie giggles whenever someone says "jorts." Anyone else know of other made up words that you like, dislike or giggle when you say them?

I still do not understand why you believe the word Skort was made up? It was created as a combination of shorts and skirt. Golf skorts are NOT skirts. They should not be called skirts, because that can mislead consumers to believe they are something that they are not.

The word skort is no more made up than the word skirt. It just came around a little later.

Skort isnt a golf thing, is it? Just about every girl I know, including my daughter, has a SKORT and it has nothing to do with golf. Its a SKORT becuase thats what you call it. SKORT. SKORT. SKORT! lol And I see nothing dirty about it.

That is correct Kevin. It is a different piece of apparel to a skirt. What would you call a skort that is not made for golf? "That thing that is a skirt with shorts also"

Or maybe its the skirt that really just LOOKS like a skirt but is really shorts. Shorts in disquise?

As you all probably know by now, I don't like that other word that people use for golf skirt - it sounds dirty to me, which is why I think some people like it. Anyway, I was reading today's NY Times and an article on designer jeans had yet another made-up word - "jeggings" - which are the tightest of skinny jeans. That doesn't sound as dirty to me although I know Smallie giggles whenever someone says "jorts." Anyone else know of other made up words that you like, dislike or giggle when you say them?

I can always count on Diane to give me a good laugh in the mornings! Skorts are dirty :D

I never associated skorts with golf when I was younger--my first encounter with them was middle school gym teachers.

"Jeggings" sounds awful. Like there is some jello jiggling around under there, and I'm confident that's not the look for which anyone is going.

Skorts....they're not just for golf any more :bananadance: :laugh:

I still do not understand why you believe the word Skort was made up? It was created as a combination of shorts and skirt. Golf skorts are NOT skirts. They should not be called skirts, because that can mislead consumers to believe they are something that they are not.

The word skort is no more made up than the word skirt. It just came around a little later.

How does skort sound dirty?

Why doesn't society just make up a different word for shirts with shorts built in so Diane doesn't have to feel like a dirty girl when she wears them?

I mean those things that women wear that aren't pants or shorts (capris?) have their own name, they are not called "ports" or "shants"

Let's start a petition to the fashion industry at large and get this nastiness stopped!

Why doesn't society just make up a different word for shirts with shorts built in so Diane doesn't have to feel like a dirty girl when she wears them?
I mean those things that women wear that aren't pants or shorts (capris?) have their own name, they are not called "ports" or "shants"

Let's start a petition to the fashion industry at large and get this nastiness stopped!

LOL^^^^

I am trying to figure out how "skort" sounds dirty. What other word does it sound like that is dirty?

They're called rompers and that also sounds dirty, but a good dirty.

The only way I see a skort being dirty is if one of us guys went out and played 18 holes in one. Thats dirty! Dirty and wrong! lol

Come on Harry... I was counting on you. :D

Nope. No idea. Diane thinks I like to say it because it sounds dirty. I don't think it sounds dirty at all. In fact, I think it sounds kinda nerdy.

I like skorts (the actual apparel, not the word) for what they represent - women playing golf and still looking like women. You can be a girl and an athlete at the same time.

Nope. No idea. Diane thinks I like to say it because it sounds dirty.

Not sure why you would say that. I think it sounds dirty. I have no idea what you think.

Nope. No idea. Diane thinks I like to say it because it sounds dirty. I don't think it sounds dirty at all.

Maybe we need to have Diane use the word " Skort " in a sentence so we can see the context. :confused2:

I guess I have still have the same question? What would you call a skort that is not used for golf?

Not sure why you would say that. I think it sounds dirty. I have no idea what you think.

I don't like that other word that people use for golf skirt - it sounds dirty to me, which is why I think some people like it.
You can be a girl and an athlete at the same time.

Man that sounds like fun.

No, Blue Arc . . . You can't be a girl and an athlete at the same time. (At least not without some extensive surgery.) But a girl can be both girlie and an athlete.

Wow Harry - I suddenly can't get Carly Simon out of my head. Nice job. :banghead:

Back