Still in shock.....

Tedfroop

One eyed and left handed
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 10.8
Some of you heard of the flooding in Calgary. It was just as bad upstream. Two of the most beautiful serene golf courses I know of are gone.

Kananaskis before: (1 & 10 on Kidd, Starters Shelter just showing in the top right of photo)
Golf+Vacation+005.JPG

After (the Starters shelter in the center of photo. Kidd 9th green in the foreground, 18 is top left 1 and 10 tee boxes and fairway were center right)
20130620_092024_resized.jpg

Before: 17th, Kidd
Golf+Vacation+031.JPG

After:
20130621_160830_resized.jpg

The river has cut a new channel through the course. They think at this point they may be able to salvage 24 of the 36 holes.

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:
20130620_120515_resized.jpg

Wow, that's terrible. Absolute beauty of a course Pre-flood.

That is so terrible.

That is absolutely incredible. I can't believe how nice that course looked and to see the damage from the flooding. Very sad.

That is just horrible. I hope it rehabs quick, looks like a very beautiful course.

That's terrible.
hope they bounce back.

Wow, hate to see this, but glad you and yours are ok.

Yeah Froop that one hurts eh. I had to cancel a few tee times I had planed out there. Unfortunately it's one of many and it being owned by the provincial government I'm not sure where the priority is to fix a golf course compared to fixing the rest of the effected areas.

You should look up the pics of Inglewood golf course and the Calgary RCGA. Wintergreen is in full play so that's some good news.

Wow that is crazy!!! Looked like a beautiful course pre-flood. Can only contain Mother Nature for so long.

A couple of those picture actually have small waterfalls, just crazy. Maybe they could incorporate the new water features? Sorry buddy, bad joke I know.

Hate to see this happen to a great course. Bummer.

That is terrible. What a fantastic looking course. Hate seeing this, hope that they bring it back sooner rather than later.

As the water recedes... You can see the damage to the 1st hole. I fear that most of the mud used to be 17 and 18....
20130621_121449_resized.jpg

I saw the RCGA, or should I say the rooftops. Sad stuff. Still Banff Springs,Silvertip, and possibly by next week Stewart Creek are all fully playable.
Sad to say but most of our courses here in Alberta involve a river nearby.

Anywhere else get it bad in Calgary? Anyone heard form Renren89? Hope he didn't get washed away.

Last edited:
I hope they can salvage most if not all of that beautiful course. I feel your pain.

That is terrible. Hopefully the recovery is speedy and they can restore things as close to 100% as possible. So sorry to hear about this.

The real sad part is it cost - $70 a round if you are an Alberta Resident and $20 more if not. You could play both courses twice for the same money as playing one round at Banff Springs.

That is just plain awful. That is a stunning golf course, the kind that I dream of playing some day.

Will this impact your vacation at all?

As for me there really wasn't much damage down here in Lethbridge.

The river that goes through town is down in the coulees so while it did get pretty high there wasn't much damage around here.

Paradise Canyon Golf course did get some flooding but that place costs 100+ to play so it's not something that I care about and it's pretty much back to normal now according to their twitter (it's a nice looking course but a huge pain in the ass to play)

My course got some water but nothing too bad

this is the worst that happened to the course and this spot tends to get wet when it rains anyways
fbCUzmX.jpg

What an absolute shame. Perhaps the course will be able to use these new "water features" to adjust some of the holes to be able to salvage both courses?

Dan

As the water recedes... You can see the damage to the 1st hole. I fear that most of the mud used to be 17 and 18....
20130621_121449_resized.jpg

I saw the RCGA, or should I say the rooftops. Sad stuff. Still Banff Springs,Silvertip, and possibly by next week Stewart Creek are all fully playable.
Sad to say but most of our courses here in Alberta involve a river nearby.

Anywhere else get it bad in Calgary? Anyone heard form Renren89? Hope he didn't get washed away.

mackenzie meadows is toast. Tons of water.

glenco has been renovating the forest 18 for the past 24 months. It was set to debut tommoorw, it is toast. They were hoping to hold the RBC Canadian open on it next year..

redwood meadows in Bragg creek is underwater. Was really hoping to play it this year.

Probbaly about 15 courses in the area effected in one way or another

that is just terribly sad. I can't fathom having to deal with courses getting decimated like that. just brutal.

Unreal. I've lived through some pretty bad floods as a kid and while the focus was always on repairing the important stuff (bridges, roads, homes, schools) realizing that you might lose some of your favorite recreational activities to alleviate the stress just makes it all the worse.

Wow! I don't watch the news so this is the first I've heard about these floods. It sounds like Kananaskis is the only course with severe damage. I hope they can get back on their feet and make the necessary repairs. It looks like a great course with a great staff so imagine they'll find a way.

What a terrible loss of a beautiful course :(

Wow! I don't watch the news so this is the first I've heard about these floods. It sounds like Kananaskis is the only course with severe damage. I hope they can get back on their feet and make the necessary repairs. It looks like a great course with a great staff so imagine they'll find a way.

There are at least 10 courses I can think of with MAJOR damage that is going to take a lot of work and money to fix.

watch this to get an idea...

http://globalnews.ca/video/671425/golf-courses-heavily-damaged-by-floods

Back