FootJoy M Project Shoes

Can you feel the spikes? it would seem that they would add a "bump" underfoot as almost all golf shoes do - that is the biggest thing I DON'T notice with my spikeless- feels smother on bottom like a regular shoe would
Actually, no. The only time I "feel" the spikes in mine is when I sort of drag a foot on the green by mistake. The spikes are pretty soft in my opinion. I haven't had any traction or "spin out" issues though, so they are doing their job I guess.

I walked my first 18 in these on Monday. Overall I liked them very much. No issues with traction, even going off at 7:20AM with a whole lot of dew. Feet stayed dry. The only issue I had was that I wore some of my running socks (very thin moisture wicking) and the heel on these has no real padding. By the turn, I had to pull out my little first aid kit and bandage up my right Achilles tendon to cover the blister that had developed.

I don't think it was the shoe so much as the shoe-sock combo. I'm going to try again this week, likely with a thicker sock (smartwool running sock perhaps) and see if it continues. Really liking the shoe otherwise.

I walked my first 18 in these on Monday. Overall I liked them very much. No issues with traction, even going off at 7:20AM with a whole lot of dew. Feet stayed dry. The only issue I had was that I wore some of my running socks (very thin moisture wicking) and the heel on these has no real padding. By the turn, I had to pull out my little first aid kit and bandage up my right Achilles tendon to cover the blister that had developed.

I don't think it was the shoe so much as the shoe-sock combo. I'm going to try again this week, likely with a thicker sock (smartwool running sock perhaps) and see if it continues. Really liking the shoe otherwise.

I haven't noticed any issues with blisters, but I wear under armor socks with mine.

Glad to hear this shoe is working well for folks. I am excited to put my spikeless ones into play this weekend. They feel great walking around so far.

Tee'd off this morning at 642 with lots of dew on the ground and wet from some rain last night and my feet stayed dry this morning

I'm considering the spiked version of these shoes. The looks seem fine to me, and comfort is very important. One thing I don't like is when spikes comes out. I understand these use the new PINS socket system. I haven't found a shoe that I can't spin a spike out of, but some are far worse than others. I have FJ's now, and the Tri-Lok sockets wear quickly. I'm not sure they'd hold up to another spike change (although Tri-Lok in general seems superior to Q-Lok).

So for those who have the spiked version of these shoes, I'm wondering whether you've lost spikes and if it seems like more of a problem than you've experienced in the past.

Think, I've not lost one yet (knock on wood) and have been using them regularly on mats and firm ground.

I've lost about 7, 3 of them from the same position and I think that housing is now damaged.
I can't get anywhere with replacement original spikes so I can no longer recommend these for people in the UK.
Footjoy say the spikes aren't part of their range and there are lot or retailers selling Softspikes in PINS but in the UL, I can't find a retailer with the stealth model.
Softspikes haven't answered any mails. Very disappointed.

FootJoy M Project Shoes

Tore a cleat today while playing, guess I'll need to find some replacements, still in love with these.

Last edited:
I've had about 6 rounds in these so far, probably 3 walking. Also about 6 range sessions. They're very comfortable and lightweight. I changed socks to something with a higher heel, and the blister issue has not recurred. The only issue I'm having now is that the tongue on the right shoe flops over to the side of my foot very quickly and stays there. So when I look down, the tongue is buried in the outside of my right shoe, and I'm looking at sock under the laces. Doesn't hurt, rub, or chafe, but it bugs the heck out of me. I've tried recentering it, tying the laces differently, nothing seems to stop it. I'm now wondering if the socks I've switched to are too slick on top allowing the tongue to slide.

Anyway, it's a minor issue. I like the shoes so far, but I'm not sure I'll buy another pair unless I can get this tongue issue sorted out. If FJ does a v2 of these, I'd like to see them add a loop of material to the top of the tongue to pass the laces through, much like running shoes have. I just don't think that two crosses of laces is enough to hold the tongue in place on these.

I've had about 6 rounds in these so far, probably 3 walking. Also about 6 range sessions. They're very comfortable and lightweight. I changed socks to something with a higher heel, and the blister issue has not recurred. The only issue I'm having now is that the tongue on the right shoe flops over to the side of my foot very quickly and stays there. So when I look down, the tongue is buried in the outside of my right shoe, and I'm looking at sock under the laces. Doesn't hurt, rub, or chafe, but it bugs the heck out of me. I've tried recentering it, tying the laces differently, nothing seems to stop it. I'm now wondering if the socks I've switched to are too slick on top allowing the tongue to slide.

Anyway, it's a minor issue. I like the shoes so far, but I'm not sure I'll buy another pair unless I can get this tongue issue sorted out. If FJ does a v2 of these, I'd like to see them add a loop of material to the top of the tongue to pass the laces through, much like running shoes have. I just don't think that two crosses of laces is enough to hold the tongue in place on these.

I agree. For mine, the tongue is too small and just barely covers the opening for the laces and bunches up a little bit. It's not uncomfortable, it it does look odd.

I hope they adopt a curved lacing pattern similar to Brooks Pure Project shoes if they make a version 2. For that matter, I'd love to see Footjoy (who I think makes a wonderful golf shoe) coordinate with a company making dedicated barefoot/minimalist shoes -- Vibram, Merrell, Brooks, heck even Reebok and their crossfit shoes -- and make a shoe that gets the kind of grip the M-Projects do, with a more flexible sole, and an upper that holds the foot a little bit better and stays comfortable a little bit longer. The M-Project is a great start in terms of blending a minimalist shoe and a spikeless golf shoe, but it still has a long ways to go.

I bought 20 pikes less than two weeks ago, have none left.
Lost 7 on the course today from different positions.
It's not the PINS system, my adidas never lost one in 7 or 8 months, only had to replace for broken legs, I can only guess the housings are not as robust and have been damaged.

I'm glueing in the current set and won't be replacing them.
Shame as I love the shoe but not interested in spending more on spikes than I do on balls.

I bought 20 pikes less than two weeks ago, have none left.
Lost 7 on the course today from different positions.
It's not the PINS system, my adidas never lost one in 7 or 8 months, only had to replace for broken legs, I can only guess the housings are not as robust and have been damaged.

I'm glueing in the current set and won't be replacing them.
Shame as I love the shoe but not interested in spending more on spikes than I do on balls.

This sucks dude! I haven't had any problems.

Have you emailed FJ about this?

I want a black pair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, not much help. They say go via retailer, retailer say wear and tear.

Real shame as I say, great shoe but I think it also may be down to not being able to source original spikes so the ones in there are not the same as original. Maybe extra stress or something.
FJ and Softspikes zero assistance on that too :(

Real shame as I say, great shoe but I think it also may be down to not being able to source original spikes so the ones in there are not the same as original. Maybe extra stress or something.

Wow I didn't imagine that FJ would say that. I would try them again and say how displeases you are about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Had my spikeless M projects for about two months. They are easy to keep clean and are more comfortable than my Adidas Crossflex. I really like them. I have had positive comments from fellow golfers on the looks. I have read other negative comments on the spike version and them losing spikes.

I've had a few running related injuries including surgery on my right foot. Lately I've been battling some stubborn plantar fasciitis. My feet are fickle with all shoes (running, dress shoes, golf etc), and I normally require some kenesio tape to run and play golf.

These shoes have allowed me to play pain free, whereas my other two pairs of FJ bothered me. I've only got 8-10 rounds on them, so I can't speak to the durability...but they are good to my feet.

Another 18 walking in these today and they are still the best golf shoes I've ever owned! My feet don't hurt at all after the round, my legs feel good after walking 18.

I need a black pair now.

Joey -

i lost a spike recently and went to my local golf smith to get replacement spikes. While there I was trying to make sure they worked will, so I picked up a pair of shoes and tried them out. While I was doing this, one of the sales people who sees me a lot in the store stopped by and asked me if I knew how to change the spikes out.

he said that there is an extra 1/2 turn that a lot of people don't do that fully seats the spike. H said some people don't do this and then lose spikes. I thought about this thread and wanted to try them out and let you know. I haven't had any issues so far and just wanted to pass this along to you. Also, my spikes are pretty much OEM, but black. If you would like for me to get you some and post them to you, I will be happy to do it.

Still loving these shoes!

J.

Joey -

i lost a spike recently and went to my local golf smith to get replacement spikes. While there I was trying to make sure they worked will, so I picked up a pair of shoes and tried them out. While I was doing this, one of the sales people who sees me a lot in the store stopped by and asked me if I knew how to change the spikes out.

he said that there is an extra 1/2 turn that a lot of people don't do that fully seats the spike. H said some people don't do this and then lose spikes. I thought about this thread and wanted to try them out and let you know. I haven't had any issues so far and just wanted to pass this along to you. Also, my spikes are pretty much OEM, but black. If you would like for me to get you some and post them to you, I will be happy to do it.

Still loving these shoes!

J.

Johnny I want to thanks this but can't from my iPhone, I'll get it on the computer when I get a chance.

Thanks for the thoughts!

I lost all the original spikes so assume they were fitted ok.
The PINDS System is supposed to be three clicks, through 90 degrees.

The Footjoys have been thrown out, even glueing in the spikes, I lost them.

I've gone back to my Adidas with PINS and have lost exactly ZERO since swapping them all for champ zarmas some weeks ago. (Play 3-4 times a week, all conditions)
My only conclusion can be that the FJ housing is not as robust as the Adidas.
Real shame as I loved the M Projects but need the spikes to be there.

I like the looks of the grey and the white but I tried them on and they don't feel comfortable to me at all.
Plus, I need a little bit of weight in my shoes and these certainly don't have it. I think the most comfortable
shoe I've worn is the Ecco Biom Golf Hybrid. And you can find them for about the same price.

So I've had the spikeless M's for a few weeks now and they are kind of losing favor with me. The comfort is fine but my issue is 1) keeping them clean and 2) traction. I stepped into a sand trap at a recent tourney and I cannot seem to get this line of sand out of the shoes now. I also noticed myself slipping in my swing with them, especially on uneven lies. Both very annoying for the price FJ charges for these shoes. I'll keep wearing em out but don't think I'll buy another pair again.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 4

I wondered about this. A guy stopped me at the course once and asked me how I liked mine. He had the spike less and said he slipped some and that they were not keeping his feet dry. His were the mesh looking.

Back