Longest night of my life

BigTex

Reaction score
Handicap
Had quite an ordeal with my youngest daughter last night, that will extend into the next couple of days, and affect the rest of our lives. She has been in an intensive ballet camp for the past four weeks, with 1.5 trip each way and 6-8 hours of dance. She started getting extreme thirst, and was obviously tired in the evenings. But she absolutely loved it and we thought the activity level was causing the fatigue and drinking. She also started to lose significant weight which we also thought was the activity and not being able to eat as much as she should. But after the end of week four she hit the wall, zero energy. Lost another 2 pounds in 3 days, and could not go at all. Took her into a quack shack and they tested for mono and strep with negative results, and said see pediatrician. Took her to pediatrician yesterday afternoon, where they took blood. Checked my phone after working to find urgent message from my wife we need to get her to the emergency room because her blood sugar was so high. Rushed her to hospital where they were waiting for us and we to work getting that down. None of us slept much since they had to test hourly, but did get it down where she can eat and drink quicker than they thought. Out of the woods from the crisis, and she is looking a lot better. Getting that natural spunk back gradually, and will continue to get better. Now getting an education on managing Type 1 diabetes, so we all have some major lifestyle changes coming.

I have a lot of Type 2 in the family, but this is much more intensive and involves insulin shots etc. The wife and I are handling it for the most part, but get the occasional emotional wave crash down. The daughter seems to be handling it better than us to an extent, only upset she will not be able to have Sprite anymore. Gonna take some time to process it all, so your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated!

Scary stuff man, thoughts are with you guys.

Thats terrible man. Thoughts and prayers with you guys. Hang in there.

That had to be terrifying man.

Hate to hear about your daughter having diabetes. Thoughts and prayers go out you y'all.

Wow. Scary stuff. Glad the doctors are getting it under control.

Scary stuff. Type 2 runs in my dad's side of the family. Thoughts are with you all.

I was diagnosed as type 1 when I was 13...got called out of school after a blood test. It takes some getting used to. But with the technogoly and different types of insulin they have today it is easier and easier to manage. I can pretty much eat whatever I want, whenever I want...with proper monitoring. There certainly is nothing that will keep her from doing whatever she wants. ...just maybe switch to diet sprite. :act-up:

Wow, that is scary stuff. Glad she is ok now!

That's the classic onset. I know. It's depressing to feel like crap and have people congratulating you on the weight loss.

You've caught it early, and you know there's got to be some changes. The shots....aren't the best part of a person's day, but the alternative's worse.
With a bit of care and attention, she'll have a long, happy, healthy life. All the best.

Best thoughts headed out to you and your daughter BigTex

Nothing worse than something bad happening to your kids. Hang in there and prayers sent!

Lots of healing energy to you and yours, BigTex.

Sorry to hear that Tex. I am diabetic as well. Although I am type 2, its is still a struggle. I have been diabetic since 03 and still struggle to make lifestyle changes. If there is any advice i can give it is to have a good support system for her. Seems like you are already doing that. I wish my parents were a little more supportive. It always seemed like they were getting after me for eating. Most of the time I was eating healthy too. I guess its just the parental instincts kicking in. Anyways, she will be fine and its going to take a little time to get used to this change just be patient. I wish I had better words and I hope I don't come across as lecturing you, cause those are not my intentions. I just wanted to inform you of my experiences. I wish you all the best.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Rough Tex. nothing scarier than your children's health.

Wishing you the best. Thought and prayers.

Glad to hear that your daughter is now getting the correct treatment. The type of scenario that you describe is something that I see frequently, and you did nothing wrong at all, so don't feel bad about it. The most important thing is that you'll have a treatment plan in place going forward, and there are tons of people with Type 1 Diabetes that are doing great things.

Definitely have prayers coming your way! I'm extremely sorry to hear about this drastic change in your life and I know it will not be easy by no means. You and your wife must keep each other strong, so that your daughter will see their is strength in the family and keep strong herself. I hope & pray everything will be ok. Take care and remember the Strength is important. Have a great day my friend.

-Manny

Hate to hear that buddy....but glad that she's better now. Thoughts are prayers headed your way my friend!

Wow, that's tough...thoughts and prayers to you all.

I have a really good friend who has Type 1. I met him when we were 5 or so, now both in our 30s. She will learn to control it and how best to deal with it with your help and support. My friend lives a full, active life and many casual friends don't know the difference. Plus, he is one hell of a golfer. Best of luck, you will all do great. God bless!

Glad to hear that your daughter is now getting the correct treatment. The type of scenario that you describe is something that I see frequently, and you did nothing wrong at all, so don't feel bad about it. The most important thing is that you'll have a treatment plan in place going forward, and there are tons of people with Type 1 Diabetes that are doing great things.

Exactly...I'm doing great things...well I'm doing things. :act-up: In all honesty, just listen to the doctors, use common sense and it's nothing to be scared of.

Thats crazy, I can only imagine how worried you guys were.

My best wishes for your daughter, and the rest of your family.
Glad everything turned out as good as it has, it won't be easy, but the alternative could have been a lot worse.

Houghts and prayers to uour family man. Thats rough. Glad your daughter is handling it well though.

Having little people go through illness stinks, but that is scary. T&P's your way.

Sorry to hear this. Best wishes for you and your family moving forward.

Back