how to test a wedge before buying

Oregon Jack

Let's real 'er back in.
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish?
OK, so as a few of you might know, i recently forgot a wedge at my course, and nobody has returned it, so i'm pretty sure it's gone. the only shops around me that actually have a fairly wide selection of wedges are Golf Galaxy and another local course. i want to be able to try the club in all sorts of lies, instead of just off of a matt (sand, rough, flop, etc.), which is what both of my selections would limit me to do. any suggestions?

Will the courses let you take them to the range? I know some courses around here that will do that. My club let me take it for a round if I wanted.

Some clubs will let you take out a wedge from their fitting cart or demo bay for a round of golf. Outside of that, the best bet are demo days. Tons of them all over the country and each one has tons of clubs to test out and sometimes even get fit for.

My last one was from Golftec - took a demo for a couple weeks. Didn't get to game it but I did get to hit it at the range and short game area at the local course.

Will the courses let you take them to the range? I know some courses around here that will do that. My club let me take it for a round if I wanted.

both golf galaxy and the course will let me hit them, but not outside of the driving range, and considering how much i use my wedges, i need to be able to do more than that before buying.

Like JB said then - demo days are your friend. I agree that mats are worthless for that.

Like JB said then - demo days are your friend. I agree that mats are worthless for that.

how do i find out when and where they are?

Look at equipment companies' websites and see the tab or link for demo days. Then check your area by zip code or address.

how do i find out when and where they are?

Go the company's website and most will have a search page for demo days where you can put your zip code in. Getting a little late in the year for them (at least around here), but you never know.

My course will allow you to take demo clubs to the range and even check them out for a round, don't know if anybody around you offers that or not.

Grab a 588 rotex face, and never look back :)

The rotex face isn't magic, at least for me. I played it for a couple months and switched, the ping's I have now work way better for my swing. I'm not saying the 588 isn't a good club, it just didn't work well for me.

I just bought a 46 RTX to go with my 64 RTX. I hit it twice today and will be replacing all my SCOR wedges with them. So solid and so nice.

I have no experience with them but the new hopkins wedges offer a great 30 day return policy. You can order one up with the sole grind that you like the best and give it a try. From what I have seen they are very well priced.

Got any friends that will let you borrow what they use for a round? Maybe use their club while you play a round together?

Have the salesman stand directly in front of you. Take wedge in question and address golf ball. If you hit over the salesman, buy the club. If you don't, it's likely defective and demand to demo another one in the same fashion until satisfied.

Mackdaddy 2 is the most versatile wedge there is. I don't know where you can test a wedge if the course won't let you take it out but the MD2 will never disappoint.

One of the courses close by allows customers to take a couple clubs out to the range to test. My last time out I tried 3 new offerings against my old Cleveland CG14 56*. (Prior to getting my current ATV). The Cleveland won out in every test.

I concur with previous comments, although... if you aren't able to test one for a round or two, the TaylorMade ATV is made with a universal bounce on all their wedges. I think they are the best wedges on the market, even better than Vokey's!

OK, so as a few of you might know, i recently forgot a wedge at my course, and nobody has returned it, so i'm pretty sure it's gone. the only shops around me that actually have a fairly wide selection of wedges are Golf Galaxy and another local course. i want to be able to try the club in all sorts of lies, instead of just off of a matt (sand, rough, flop, etc.), which is what both of my selections would limit me to do. any suggestions?

The very reason I only buy clubs at my home course. If I can't take it to the course before I buy it, I'm not buying it. Great reason to support the little guys.

Some retailers offer Playability Guarantees on qualifying clubs. Play them for 30 days and if you don't like them, return for 90% credit.

Back