The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent 30 minutes putting this morning and had a fantastic session. Would have stayed 3 hours if I had had time. I was having a blast.

Also spent an hour in the blistering heat on the range in the afternoon. Pretty happy with the range session overall.

Another 2 1/2 hrs on the range/green last night and boy am I glad I spent the time this week doing it. Driver is much better now and my 80-110yds wedge shots are more consistent. Spent another hour on chipping which helped too.

Another 2 1/2 hrs on the range/green last night and boy am I glad I spent the time this week doing it. Driver is much better now and my 80-110yds wedge shots are more consistent. Spent another hour on chipping which helped too.

I like it! Doing anything different with the driver or just getting more in rhythm?

I like it! Doing anything different with the driver or just getting more in rhythm?

I had the ball WAY in front of my stance which was causing a lot of swaying and started my backswing more on the outside which was promoting more slice spin. I've now moved the ball inside the front foot, more turning from the pockets (aka Greg Norman) and staying behind the ball at contact. Much better path and less side spin now.

Went to the range and practice hitting entire bag. Hitting my irons just in time to be replaced by my xhots. Finally was able to get the birdieball putting green out the box and practiced for half hour. Lesson tomorrow morning, then a taylormade sponsored fitting at golf tec Saturday, maybe get the r1 fitted and shaft changed.

Went to a men's league night at a 9-hole par 29 course that was a blast. My tee shots were alright, only hit 2 Gir's but I got a birdie, 3 pars and 4 bogey's. My chipping was on fire, I must have been channeling some Phil as I landed 3 chips within 2 feet.

The biggest thing for me was that I didn't lose any balls (there was lots of water) and I didn't have any tee shots that were wild or shanked. Hopefully I can translate that on to the big course tomorrow!

Had a great lesson, got straightened out cause I was bottoming out before the ball. Worked on exploding the hips to the left and hitting down. Felt major improvement in ball flight and in striking the ball. Felt good! Tonight when the kids go down to sleep will hit some putts.

Last edited:
For the 4th day in a row I hit a bucket of balls only concentrating on the length of the back swing. I felt that it was coming along nicely until I reviewed the video. I'm still going past parallel on 90% of my swings. When I go to, say 10 oclock, Gloriousness happens.

For the 4th day in a row I hit a bucket of balls only concentrating on the length of the back swing. I felt that it was coming along nicely until I reviewed the video. I'm still going past parallel on 90% of my swings. When I go to, say 10 oclock, Gloriousness happens.

Shortening the swing is a very tough one to master. Even taking a 3/4 swing "in my mind" is much longer than I want it to be. Maybe I need to start thinking half swing. Haha

Shortening the swing is a very tough one to master. Even taking a 3/4 swing "in my mind" is much longer than I want it to be. Maybe I need to start thinking half swing. Haha

This is the truth. ..had lesson a few days back he saw me working on short game and said i was taking it back way too far. I said I didn't think i was at all. ..then he showed me the video...doesnt lie

tough headwind today during a quick range session which got into my head and started a slight pull (even a bit on the hosel side) with my hybrids/woods - irons all great. i suspect i was trying to compensate a bit too much for it and getting my shoulders ahead of me.

hopefully the pro will have some time on sunday - like to touch up on some short game.

More time working on short pitch shots. This time I worked on pitches from about 20 paces with a small white hand towel as the target. Roxie enjoyed her time watching over things. I've been doing this almost every evening from chipping to about 40 yards. My short game is getting better and better because of it.

Lovely day for practice yesterday...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374311869.177570.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374311869.177570.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374311884.467821.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374311884.467821.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
After some relatively sloppy ball striking my last 2 rounds I got a little concerned. Today I went and setup camp at the end of the driving range and just went to work. I hit the ball beautifully and found that groove that I had been missing.

After some relatively sloppy ball striking my last 2 rounds I got a little concerned. Today I went and setup camp at the end of the driving range and just went to work. I hit the ball beautifully and found that groove that I had been missing.

This makes me happy

Worked with golfinff on my greenside sand game wfter the round. Hit some good ones...and some bad. .but got them alk out of the trap on the first try. Gonna work some more on it over the next few days.

Worked with golfinff on my greenside sand game wfter the round. Hit some good ones...and some bad. .but got them alk out of the trap on the first try. Gonna work some more on it over the next few days.

Was fun times dude and glad to see you getting the ball up and out! Some more time and you'll get it down even better.

Yesterday I went to practice the normal stuff. Started with putting and quickly realized I love my 2ball putter over the blade. After that I was hitting very well and doing great with my long irons and basically everything. Pausing at the top of my swing has helped a lot. I'm seeing the draw I've always wanted and it looks great. Hoping this continues and only gets better.

Worked very hard for 3 hours today on my 6-7-8-9 irons in 100* heat. These are my trouble clubs and the only reason I was contemplating new Cleveland Altitudes.

My usual miss with these is a low liner left or shank (left handed). I even asked someone to video me on my phone and I hit 3 perfect shots, stopped taping and 8 squirts in a row.
My wedge game has become pretty darn good, but I always hit 20-30 chips a day in the back yard.

My elbow is becoming pretty sore (the same one I had re-constructed) so I am definitely going to take a week off and I am going to have to switch to a softer absorbing grip and graphite shafts.

Hit a hundred balls and spent 20 minutes on the putting green. Later went to the pitch and putt. Full swing was ok, short game swing was pretty good, putting stroke was good.

Worked very hard for 3 hours today on my 6-7-8-9 irons in 100* heat. These are my trouble clubs and the only reason I was contemplating new Cleveland Altitudes.

My usual miss with these is a low liner left or shank (left handed). I even asked someone to video me on my phone and I hit 3 perfect shots, stopped taping and 8 squirts in a row.
My wedge game has become pretty darn good, but I always hit 20-30 chips a day in the back yard.

My elbow is becoming pretty sore (the same one I had re-constructed) so I am definitely going to take a week off and I am going to have to switch to a softer absorbing grip and graphite shafts.

The pressure of being on video made you swing right? I've set up my phone on my bag to video myself and prefer that over someone standing there.

3 hrs is along time man that is probably what's causing you pain.

Keep up the work but maybe not so long to save that elbow.

The pressure of being on video made you swing right? I've set up my phone on my bag to video myself and prefer that over someone standing there.

3 hrs is along time man that is probably what's causing you pain.

Keep up the work but maybe not so long to save that elbow.

Well I'm going to order some TackiMac Tour Pro plus midsize grips for sure, they are allot softer than stock grips as they are a tour wrap style in neon green.

Went to a taylormade fitting hosted at golftec, was nothing like I expected. I was told that I would get a print out on my stats that would show shafts, lies, angles, measurements etc. Instead I hit my R1 and Stage 2 on launch monitor and was determined that current shafts are ok. So I spent $50 to be told nothing? Was disappointed to say the least.

Hit through a medium bucket this morning. It was slightly frustrating, as what seemed to be working for me a few days ago was doing nothing for me this time out. It seems that I can either keep my clubhead on plane with a late release and a heavy fade, or I can swing from too far inside and get a push fade, with a good release and no sidespin. It's almost as if I can only release the club if I swing from inside to outside. Strange. I thought maybe I need to get more aggressive with my turn, but that just seems to create a pull hook. Time to call my golf instructor again!

Played 9 holes at the junior par-3. I finished 4-over on 8 of them. I did have a hole where I was playing through a group of 6 kids that didn't go as well, but I was literally jogging to my ball and not lining up, so I'm giving myself the benefit of the doubt on that one.

I hit a bucket of balls and was really happy with my ball striking. I finished with an hour of chipping/sand and was going to do an hour of putting, but a thunderstorm rolled in and cut it short to 20 minutes. Still really happy with the whole session overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back