Course memberships

bogeyme

The Golf GODS hate me
Reaction score
Handicap
High
I think this is as good of a place as any to ask this question. What do you guys/gals look for in a course before purchasing a membership? My brother and I are kicking around the idea of getting a "couples" membership at a local course. The membership is right about $4,000 a year for a "couple". I know that sounds kind of funny but we'd save $600 over 2 individual memberships. We asked about the couple thing and they said if we said we were a couple that'd have to believe us.

The course is a nice course. Or it has been so far this fall. The only down fall of the course is there is no clubhouse. It's a couple of "temporary" trailers pushed together. This isn't all that big of a deal. I don't plan on taking my wife there for dinner or anything like that. I believe they said you get range balls and a cart along with the $4k. It would be roughly 54 rounds of golf a year to equal the $2k per person. I don't think I'd play 54 rounds of golf but if I had a membership maybe I would.

Just wondering what you guys thought.

I do not know your location bogey, but I guess my thought is for 4,000 bucks in a state that can only play golf for half the year I would expect more. A full country club experience. When I lived in IN, I paid half that for a fabulous country club.

If golf is more of what you are looking for and not the club experience, talk to places about annual passes. Usually they will cost a fraction of that.

For $29 a month membership, I get all the range balls I can hit after high noon, and I can walk 18 holes for under $10 Monday through Friday, sun up to dark. Since I don't golf on week ends, this suits me just fine.

This topic brings up another cost saving scenario. I have a friend who basically sold himself to his home course. He made them an offer that if he golfed 4 times a week at this course he would pay $15 to walk or ride each of the 4 days. If the weather was bad, he would want a cart. Their normal cart rate $13.50, and 18 holes walking is any where between $25-$10 depending on the time of day. So for $60 a week which he pays in advance, he get 4 rounds of golf. The only thing the golf course asked of him was to not publicize their agreement to other golfers.

Some of these course are very hungry for business, and it seems it is not out of line at some of them, for the golfer(s) to strike their own deals with them.

As for what I look for in a course, I want nice greens to putt on, and fairways that someone has taken the time to keep green. I don't do business meetings, or lunches anymore so club houses are for others to use. A well stocked beverage cart running around is a plus, as long as a guy is not driving it. After that it boils down to price on my everyday golf. On golf vacations/road trips price is not an issue.

54 rounds of golf on average would cost me about $1250.00, and that includes some pretty nice courses.

If you think you are getting a good deal on this membership, then do it, and don't look back. :clapp:

You and your "brother" should be prepared to dole out the extra $600 when an external auditor of the club's books dings them for letting ya'll join as a "couple".

Plus, how would you explain that to other members, if the conversation does come up? Judge Smails would turn you in, in a heartbeat, if he found out.

IMO, if you can afford the membership, then I doubt that an extra $600 is gonna hurt you. I don't think all the hassle you and your brother could possibly bring upon yourselves and spouses is worth it. And, in some circles, what you are considering would be called stealing.....and gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). Seinfeld - The Outing

My 2cents.

Personally, I think the $4000/year for a couple is quite steep. Especially for a course that doesn't have a proper clubhouse, restaurant, pro shot, etc. For that kind of investment, I'd expect all of those features, as well as a course that's always in very good to excellent condition.

For some comparison, here's the rates for a few of the courses in this area - which are open year-round and have full facilities:

The Habitat at Valkaria - Best municipal course in the county hands down. 3 1/2 stars Golf Digest

Single: $682.38 + $464.02 each additional

Turtle Creek Golf Club - Semi-Private. Great course, with a great restaurant! 3 1/2 stars Golf Digest

Single: $1500 Family: $2500

Baytree National Golf Links - Semi-private. Probably 2nd or 3rd best course in county. 4 stars Golf Digest

Single: $1980 Family: $2940

I just think there has to be a better deal in your area for the money you'd be spending.

The membership is right about $4,000 a year for a "couple". . . The course is a nice course. Or it has been so far this fall. The only down fall of the course is there is no clubhouse. It's a couple of "temporary" trailers pushed together. This isn't all that big of a deal. I don't plan on taking my wife there for dinner or anything like that. I believe they said you get range balls and a cart along with the $4k. . . Just wondering what you guys thought.

I'm with the others who think that's too steep a price to pay for what you are getting.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I was thinking $4k was a little steep too but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Conversations like this make me wish I lived somewhere else.

Good luck finding anything even approaching these prices at a course accessable from NYC...

Back