Practice what I'm good at or what I'm bad at?

Guoseph

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a question about range practice:

I have clubs that I always hit well, (8i-LW) and ones that I always can't hit well (Driver, 5i, 6i), some depends on the day (2h-4h, 7i). Well meaning I can land a ball within 5-10yds of target, not well means about 2 fairways over, ground ball, big divot before the ball etc.

As a beginner, should I keep practicing with the clubs I can already hit? or the ones I suck at? Everytime I put down the driver, it takes me 3-5 hits with a short iron to remember how to swing again, and I wonder if I'm messing up my swing by switching around clubs while I practice.

Please give me some advice on how to develop better consistency across all clubs throughout the bag.

Thank you very much

For me, it is all about routine.

When I was starting out, I also had those same issues. Over the years, I have developed a routine that "reminds" me of the length and swing plane of each shot. The routine allows me to adjust between hitting a driver and then moving to the short iron.

I understand that a routine is great for a round, but not an efficient way to practice at the range. And I do not go through a routine on each shot, but I often do my routine when I switch to another club at the range.

I also have a standard game plan while at the range. After a quick stretch and warm-up swings without a ball, I use my 8-iron for a few 3-quarter swings to get into things and then hit about 5 full swings. Then I take 5 full swings with each of the following clubs in the following order: PW, 6-iron, 3-hybrid, and driver.

This gives me an understanding for the day of which series of clubs I am hitting well and what clubs I am not hitting as well. I then take the next 15-25 balls to practice on the clubs I am not hitting as well.

This leaves me with roughly 50 balls left. At this point, I do a simulated 9-hole round in my mind. Essentially, I have the layout of the front 9 of one of my favorite courses memorized. I practice the shots that would be needed to complete the 9 holes. For example, the course opens with a par 4. So, my first shot is with the driver. I gauge how I hit the shot and imagine what I likely would have next to get to the green. Maybe a 7-iron. If I hit the 7-iron well, I move to the next hole in my mind. If I envision that stoke being short of the green or wayward, I use my wedge as my next shot and then move to the next hole.

After I finish the imaginary 9-holes, I have about 10 balls left. I use these last balls to practice bunker play.

Incidentally, this game plan allows me to hit nearly every club in the bag and allows me to practice being more consistent across the bag, particularly when I am moving from a wood to a short iron.

*** EDIT: This is when I am only doing a practice session at the range. NOT when I am doing a pre-round warm-up.

Last edited:
Guoseph that is a great question. My question for you is are you trying to figure out how to hit the clubs you currently "have trouble with". Is there a game plan to make them better?

As a beginner it is a idea to get comfortable with 1-3 clubs in the bag. Once you start to feel good with those couple of clubs you need to work hard to incorporate the rest of the bag.

To be honest with you it doesn't do you a whole lot of good to stand out there and beat balls with clubs that you cannot hit. You really need to attack it with a goal in mind. Work your way up to the longer clubs....hit a couple of solid shots with the 8 iron and then go to the 7. Hit a few solid shots with the 7 iron and go to the 6. Without the help of an instructor this would be the most effective way to work into the longer clubs in the bag.

Stick to it and know that you can fall back on the shorter clubs for a confidence boost if it is needed.

The last thing I would like to add is with the longer clubs...shorten up the swing a bit. Meaning just take the club back until the left arm is parallel to the ground (right handed players). The most common mistake I see with players is the longer the club the harder they swing. Stay smooth and try and feel the club and the club face through the entire swing. Keep at it and let me know how it goes.

Guoseph that is a great question. My question for you is are you trying to figure out how to hit the clubs you currently "have trouble with". Is there a game plan to make them better?

Doh. As a newbie to the forum, I did not realize this was an "ask the pro" thread. I obviously am not a pro. My bad!

Doh. As a newbie to the forum, I did not realize this was an "ask the pro" thread. I obviously am not a pro. My bad!

Your advice is much appreciated :)

Right now my preshot "routine" is looking at my target a couple of times after I set up and "wobbling" left and right a coupleo of times to find center on my balance. :alien2:

My question for you is are you trying to figure out how to hit the clubs you currently "have trouble with". Is there a game plan to make them better?

My normal routine was to start with a SW and work my way up. I would try to hit at least 3 consecutive good shots before moving to the next club, and fall back like you suggested. This usually meant I got a lot more practice with the shorter clubs than the longer ones.

But a couple of months ago during a long trip to visit family I had a chance to hit a bunch of free range balls but only had a pitching wedge to do it with. I found I got great consistency with being able to focus on just one club, and it seem to have helped my swing with the other clubs as well.

So part of the reason for my question above was I was considering whether I should just go have a "5 iron day" one day and a "7 iron day" the next or some such pattern, maybe start with the 7 since it is borderline and move up. However, I appreciate your advice about setting goals and slowing down for the longer clubs. I do tend to swing for the fences with the driver a lot of times, unfortunately it ends up being the right side fence rather than the back fence. :banghead:

I have a question about range practice:

I have clubs that I always hit well, (8i-LW) and ones that I always can't hit well (Driver, 5i, 6i), some depends on the day (2h-4h, 7i). Well meaning I can land a ball within 5-10yds of target, not well means about 2 fairways over, ground ball, big divot before the ball etc.

As a beginner, should I keep practicing with the clubs I can already hit? or the ones I suck at? Everytime I put down the driver, it takes me 3-5 hits with a short iron to remember how to swing again, and I wonder if I'm messing up my swing by switching around clubs while I practice.

Please give me some advice on how to develop better consistency across all clubs throughout the bag.

Thank you very much
Id definetly agree with Amollerud says and start with the short irons and work you way up. The shorter the shaft, the easier the club is to hit, so my moving up 1 iron at a time it will allow you to gradually improve your ballstriking but still have enough success to keep a positive attitude and have fun.

No biggie. The rule typically is that we let Amollerud answer first because he is our resident pro and after that anyone is welcome to chime in.

I like to know where to focus my practice time as well, so about a year ago, I started tracking every shot on the course, I made my own scorecard to keep it simple:

• Drives
  • Irons
  • Approach (wedges, from 100 yards and in)
  • Putts

I also track any other metrics:

• Sand Saves
  • Penalty Strokes
  • Up-N-Down
  • Green in Regulation
  • Fairway in Regulation

Armed with all this data, I can look at my scores, and see where I'm spending the most strokes. I'll focus my practice time on the areas that I struggle with most, distributing my time by % in areas needing improvement. You're welcome to print these out and use them if it helps you.

Dont sweat it. In the future we let the pro answer and then everybody else can chime in.

Amollerud hits the nail on the head.

Learn to crawl before walking, learn to walk before running.

It's like anything else; first there's the basics then the advanced levels. No one picks up a guitar for the first time and starts playing perfect Flamenco. First you learn where the notes are, then learn where the fingers go then learn to play slowly then get faster.

Same thing with golf clubs; learn to hit a few clubs well, then push the envelope little by little and before you know it, you'll have the whole bag at your disposal.

Patience!

It will come.

You just have to let it happen and accept the fact that it won't happen overnight.

-JP

Thank you Amollerud and everyone else for your advice. I will keep taking baby steps :)

when i get lessons looking at my swing, we normally use a 7 or 6 iron.

the things you learn are more easilly transferred down the bag than up it, but i would say if your a bit inconsistent with a mid range iron, you need to get comfortable with that.

when i practice, i follow Gummi. i work on the things that went wrong in my weekly round, rather than the things i did well.
or i work through the bag, 5 shots with each club, then work on the clubs that had the worst good shot to bad shot ratio.

my putter is killing me just now, so dont forget the most important club in the bag ;)

Back