MacJones

Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody have one that they use? I've been reading about one called the Suunto G6 and wondering if they are easier to use during a round of golf. Basically I dont want to be faffing about gettin a normal gps out of my pocket/golf bag after each shot and carrying it until the next shot. All I need really is to measure each shot and what the distance to the front/middle and end of the green is. Also playing here in the UK its usually raining at this time of year so messing with a mobile phone style of gps would be a pain.

This is my first post on this great forum so i appologise in advance if this topic has been covered already.

Moved to the proper place.

As to your question. Suunto has been making quality products for quite a long time. The only issue that has been reported with their golf gps watch is that accuracy has been off for long stretches.

We have someone at my club that plays in our Saturday group. I will get more info from him at that time.

First off, welcome to THP MacJones!

I'd really have a problem with that since I don't normally even wear a watch, let alone one while playing golf.

This particular watch, I don't see that it's a GPS anyway. I did a search, and I found one that was available in Korea, but didn't have any info on a release elsewhere. The article was, however, written in 2007 (http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2007/07/30/gps-watch-for-golfers-pyxis-rgps-3000).

http://www.parrotbayunlimited.com/product_info.php?products_id=39269854

http://www.suuntowatches.com/Suunto-G6.pro

SUUNTO G6 GOLF WATCH
Price: $399.00 (CLICK add to cart to see our DISCOUNTED Price)
Model: PBU 37049
Manufacturer: Suunto USA
Weight: 0.60
Availability: In Stock

G6 Golf Watch

Improved swing consistency and simplified scorekeeping with Suunto G6

Suunto G6 helps you improve your swing consistency while making messy scorekeeping paperwork a thing of the past.

For golfers striving for a better and more consistent performance, Suunto G6 is an invaluable tool for reducing your handicap. Monitor your shots as you play, and then analyze your round with the included SGM (Suunto Golf Manager) PC software to identify the areas of your game that need improvement.

Suunto G6 enables you to practice and perfect your swing. After each swing, you can check its tempo, rhythm, backswing length and speed. The feedback you get from Suunto G6 helps you consistently repeat your best shots, developing muscle memory to remember only the good shots. After the session, you can analyze your overall consistency.

When you return to the course with your new improved skills, Suunto G6 gives you more time to focus on your game by simplifying the scorekeeping process. With four game types to choose from, both your own and your opponent's score can be easily kept - without the need for messy paperwork.

Features:
Watch: Calendar, alarm, stopwatch and unit's setting adjustment
Practice and Test modes for perfecting your swing
4 different game types: Scratch Strokeplay, Stableford and Match
Menu-based user interface familiar from mobile phones
User-replaceable battery
Water Resistant to 30m (100 ft.)
Full access to SuuntoSports.com
Black PU strap

37049%20-%20Suunto%20G6%20Golf%20Watch.gif

What is the battery life on a GPS that small? It doesn't seem like it could be all that great. A typical GPS has a battery (or batteries) that is as large as that entire unit. Seems like such a GPS would have to be quite a bit larger and thicker than a regular watch. Just wondering... :confused2:

Suunto is a popular brand of dive computer for scuba divers, but they don't draw as much juice as a GPS does.

Edit: Smallie posted as I was writing.... still asking the same question if such a watch does exist.

Ok after speaking with him for quite some time yesterday, here is what I learned. He has a GPS watch and a Golf watch, but they are two different items. His GPS watch he has shown off is a model called an X10 or something like that and he likes it a lot. However it is not for golf and is used for other activities. This is the one he was speaking of when he said the GPS had some issues with accuracy.

He has a golf watch by the same maker and it is the one you were referencing that he does not really care for. It will keep score, measure your swing tempo and rhythm and a few other things.

Thanks for that JB. Was using my blackberry this morning on some holes for distance to the grn etc, but I didnt want it to get wet in the heavy rain we had on the back 9...... Oh how wonderful is playing golf in the UK at this time of year. Anyway was a fun round on a course I havent played on, tight fairways, plenty of small ponds, annoying tree's in the middle of the fairway etc etc.

Thanks for that JB. Was using my blackberry this morning on some holes for distance to the grn etc, but I didnt want it to get wet in the heavy rain we had on the back 9...... Oh how wonderful is playing golf in the UK at this time of year. Anyway was a fun round on a course I havent played on, tight fairways, plenty of small ponds, annoying tree's in the middle of the fairway etc etc.

I don't know about the other Golf GPS's, but the GolfLogix is waterproof. It's not as fancy and colorful as the ones that have popped up recently, but gives great yardages.

Back