Cobra Introduces the ZL Driver

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

Cobra Golf unveils their most innovative, highest-performing driver ever, the ZL, which is designed to help all golfers achieve more distance. ZL stands for Zero Limits; which speaks to the mindset Cobra engineers had when they set out to design the longest driver in Cobra's 36 year history. Its Advanced Multi-Material Construction and Adjustable Flight Technology are complete game-changers. The superior performance of the ZL driver is supported by the fact that Cobra PGA staff players Geoff Ogilvy, J.B. Holmes and Jason Gore have already put the new driver in play.

"Cobra has a history of developing powerful, yet easy-to-hit drivers," says Brian Zender, General Manager of Cobra Golf. "The ZL Driver sets a new standard, in terms of providing maximum distance, forgiveness and control. It combines the best technology, materials and design we've ever built into a driver - plus the ZL offers the additional performance benefit of tuned ball flight. With our exclusive Adjustable Flight Technology we help avid golfers achieve maximum distance and accuracy by optimizing their personal ball flight."

ZL DRIVER TECHNOLOGY
The ZL is a high-performance driver with a clubhead that is designed to maximize distance, accuracy and forgiveness. To optimize ball speed and thus distance, Cobra engineers utilized Advanced Multi-Material Construction in which a lightweight, high strength carbon fiber crown and sole insert are integrated into a titanium 6-4 clubhead body and clubface. The titanium clubface utilizes Cobra's patented Milled Rhombus laser-welded face insert plus a new, thinner perimeter area.

To complement the multi-material construction in the clubhead design, the ZL also features a swingweight screw which helps shift the Center of Gravity (CG) toward the heel, to help provide draw bias ball flight- while maintaining a square clubface alignment. Combine all of these design features with the longer 46" Aldila VooDoo shaft, and golfers will experience increased ball speed and optimum launch across the clubface.

In addition, Cobra's exclusive Adjustable Flight Technology features an adjustable hosel that golfers can set to one of three face angles (O-open, N-neutral, C-closed) to provide a simple and quick way to optimize their personal ball flight.

"In the past, many club manufacturers chased various USGA limits on clubhead features and dimensions, such as Moment of Inertia (MOI), face height, COR etc," says Tom Preece, Vice President of Research & Development for Cobra Golf. "When you focus on one design variable or a combination of variables, you often give up something else in return. So the mission of our R&D team was to set Zero Limits on engineering superior performance into the ZL driver. As a result, we have created a maximum distance driver. We also focused on making ZL the best sounding driver in the market. Through extensive, sophisticated computer modeling, we achieved superior sound and feel via key frequency improvements which include a more traditional crown design. The result is the best looking and sounding driver we've ever produced."

Advanced Multi-Material Construction
The carbon fiber crown and sole, titanium 6-4 body and face, along with the swingweight screw provide optimal CG, MOI and spin characteristics for high launch, increased distance and control.

Adjustable Flight Technology (AFT)
Three face angle settings (open, neutral and closed) are easy to adjust and allow golfers to find the one setting that optimizes their personal ball flight for maximum distance and accuracy.

Milled Rhombus Face Insert
A large face insert featuring a unique milled rhombus center is surrounded by a thin, highly engineered titanium perimeter area to promote faster ball speeds - especially on off-center hits across the face- for improved control and consistently long and straight drives.

Optimized Head Shape
Utilizing extensive computer modeling of the clubhead, Cobra engineers achieved superior sound frequencies via key design improvements including a more traditional crown design. As a result, the new clubhead shape is the best looking and sounding driver Cobra has ever made.

Premium Aldila VooDoo Shafts
Tour-proven shafts optimize launch for maximum distance.

The Cobra ZL driver is available in lofts of 8.5, 9.5, 10.5 and 11.5 degrees. It comes standard with a 46" Aldila VooDoo graphite shaft, in men's R and S flexes. Lite and Women's flexes, along with other shafts, are available through custom order. The ZL Driver will begin shipping November 1, 2009 with a suggested retail price of $425.

JB -- Is THP going to do any reviews on this driver? All my clubs except my putter ( Never Compromise - Voodoo Daddy) and driver (Taylormade R9) are Cobra's. The new snake sounds good however I am waiting for THP to put the word out? Thanks -- Bill S

• Admin
We should be, however Cobra does not like to have their products reviewed it seems by many sites. Acushnet has just sent us a package this last week, but we have no idea what is in it yet.

Thats too bad because your guys review of the L5V was what turned me onto it.

Geoff ogilvy had that at the Barclays

Any idea if Cobra is going to release anything approaching the Nickent CYG level of customization? I tried that club out this year and love it -- can't wait to see what they do next or is someone else will try and top them on the adjustable front.

• Admin
I dont think anybody will come to where the Nickent Evolver is in the form of customization. As for what they are coming up with next, we have the shots on our forum of their new driver.

Looking forward to a review. I still am playing Cobra HS9 Driver, 3 & 7 woods.

I took my Mom to a Dr Appt today and on the way home, stopped by one of the golf shops in Macon (Dick's Sporting Goods). The Manager of the golf department also happens to teach golf on the side. I went through three lessons with him and he is considered my friend and golf advisor. I asked him if he had seen the new Cobra ZL Driver and he said they just arrived today (11/2/09). They were not even on display yet. I asked him to bring out a couple models so we could check them out. It was love at first sight! It comes with a wrench and you have three settings to play with. Very simple and very well made. The head comes off just like the R9 Taylormade so you can easily change shafts if you desire to. It looks like a beautiful stallion ready to charge at command. I had to have one. $349.00 bucks later it was in my trunk and on the way home. At 04:30 p.m. today I took my new toy to the driving range at my local course. After 40 balls I was even more in LOVE.
The stock VooDoo shaft works great with this club. I play my first round with it tomorrow so it will be put up to the test on some tight fairways. It is very very long off the tee and easy to work the ball. My natural shot is a draw and this is so easy to draw or fade if need be. I will be 59 years young this month and I was flying the ball over the 250 marker. I could not see how much they were rolling out because of the sun going down. I got the 10.5 version and it does not seem to hit as high as the S9 Cobra. A much more penetrating flight!

Update on Cobra ZL Driver

Update on Cobra ZL Driver

The first hole I hit a beautiful draw down the middle and on average the same distance as my R9. I overcooked it on the next to par 4 holes and ended up fairly long but left in the woods. When I slowed my swing down I hit it solid center cut on the next par 4. The remaining three drives were all in the fairway but I backed off the killer swing instinct. It was so easy yesterday to pound it long down the wide open driving range! Tight fairways seem to tighten up the swing a bit, at least for me. I hit some longer than usual drives on the backside so I am growing into my new driver. I love this club however two things will have to be changed for me. Even though I am fairly tall, I cut my Taylormade R9 down to 44 1/2 inches and my control is much better. My longer than average arms do not work well with a long shaft. Also the standard grip was a bit small for my hands. I am cutting it to 44 1/2" and changing the grip to midsized this p.m. I played the club in the neutral position today. The 10.5 comes with an option to use 1.0 open -0.5 neutral and closed at -2.0. The club comes standard at 46" long, swingweight at D4. Stiff shaft 62g or regular at 59g. My model came with a stiff shaft. You can purchase weights to add or subtract the headweight for this club. When I cut my driver down I always make sure the weight is balanced correctly or it will be too light on the head end. Now that Cobra has added more weight options this can be done with ease. No lead tape. I will update when I get this driver more to my specs. It really does feel solid and the sound is sooooooooo much better than any Cobra driver ever made! I think it's going to surprise many Cobra fans in a very pleasing way.

Great Club!

Great Club!

I am fortunate enough to be semi retired so when beautiful fall weather like we have in Middle Ga. comes around, I'm on the course. After tweeking my new investment last evening and changing the setting to what works best for me, this club is in the top two clubs I have ever hit in my golfing life. Easy to lign up and ever so solid off the tee. It's hotter than a two dollar pistol with a persimmon head sound. Feels like the ball is not even on the clubface it's so pure. I wish there was a better way to describe it. I know when the Pro reviews come out, you will understand what I am trying to convey. I'm talking about when THP or Golf Digest, Golf Channel etc. review this awesome club. It comes with a very nice magnetic headover which is black/white. A change from the black/gold for Cobra but the ZL Driver is so good it needs a cool headcover. My wife works in the Pro shop at our club and she came out to play the back nine with me. I told her not to worry about my B-Day which is the 29th of November. I got my present already. She was even receptive that I had already picked and paid for my present. To say the least, she was extremely impressed how the new driver worked! Hey, this Dawg Hunts!!!

Glad to see you found a new toy that works for you so well. I too love the way Cobra clubs play and always have but I went with my gut this season when I got new clubs. The Cobra line was second on my list though. Truly great clubs.

A 46" shaft is now standard? Jesus. And yes, I am still alive.

Had a chance to hit this beast tonight. Great driver and I agree with BSA that its one of the sweetest feeling drivers I have ever hit.

Lightweight

Lightweight

The only negative I have found for my new club is the weight. It only weighs 315 grams which is too light for my preference. Light might be a positive for other golfers who have that silky smooth tempo. I 'm going to order a 10 gram swing weight screw today. I might also go to a heavier shaft eventually. With Cobra's new design it is easy to change to a different shaft is so desired.
I believe Cleveland is coming out with an even lighter driver for you lightweight lovers out there. It's going to weigh in at only 295 grams. One of the things I love about my other driver (R9) is it weighs in at 320 to 330 grams depending on what MWT is used. Once I get my ZL on the fatboy program it will be rocking!

Last edited:
We will be putting this driver through a large testing panel today and should have a bunch of feedback this afternoon.

I love the reviews from THP. To have people of different skill levels test a product gives a great overall feel for others to appreciate. Good luck with the weather JB. It's really wet here in central Ga.

So here is what happened in todays testing of this club. A couple of things to note before we discuss performance. There were 7 of us out there today and 2 drivers. 1 in regular and 1 in stiff. The stiff shaft was 9.5 degrees and the R was 10.5. Both had Voodoo shafts in them.

Initial Thoughts - I still do not understand the idea of making a club interchangeable as far as ball flight goes but having only 3 settings. Atleast offer as many as are on the market now. The club is more traditional looking than cobras in the past, and many of the testers liked it.

Looks - traditional shape (mostly) with a nice looking shaft and overall solid look. I could do without the carbon fiber look on the bottom of the club head, but its at the bottom, who cares.

Feel/Sound - its a Cobra. You can always tell a cobra driver by feel and sound. I played them for about a decade and I am not sure I could go back. They have almost no feel compared to what else is out there today and the sound is pretty bad. Not as loud as the Monster, but not great. Definitely not their worst sounding driver.

Distance - The driver has a hot face, that is for sure. I did not find it any longer than the drivers we have tested and it certainly would not be the longest. But it has a very hot face and reminds me a lot of the Diablo as far as distance.

Forgiveness - The driver is quite forgiving. I would not put it on the level of the L4V or the L5V in forgiveness, but definitely more than the S9 had in my opinion. Heel shots held the line very well and balls hit high on the club face did as well. Toe shots did not handle all that well and shots of the toe had a pretty bad sound.

Overall Performance - It is a good driver. I still prefer the L4V and L5V over this one despite that awful sound they had. But I was never a huge fan of the S9 as many others were. This is somewhere in between the two.

In my opinion there are better options for the money out there, but everybody is different. It has good distance, good forgiveness, and nice looks. But nothing stood out as great on this one to any of us. It reminded me of a lot that has come out over the last 3 years and it definitely reminded me performance wise of the 909. A good solid driver in most categories but nothing that really blew us away.

I am sure it is perfect for some players, but one of the testers today summed it up best. If you took the top 10 drivers over the last 6 months and put this one into the mix, and did it blind, they could not see someone picking the ZL out on club head alone.

Mid handicaps 12-16 seemed to be the group that liked it the most with high handicaps struggling with the toe forgiveness and low handicaps saying that there is "better out there".

My personal thought is, that I could game this one no problem. It would not be my first choice, but I think it is better than the 909 line and better than the S9.

The "feel" thing you mentioned is what I was trying to say about the light weight of this club. To me the length (46 inches) also takes away some of the feel or control. I can feel the head on my R9 (44 1/2 inch shaft) during the swing if that makes sense. I was told by my Cobra Rep today that it would be a week or so before Cobra releases the weight kit. I would also like to try a 65 gram shaft with this driver. It must be nice to test new equipment at your site.
Great Job huh???

It has its perks. hehe

Thanks for the review, I have not hit this yet but sounds like the Cobra HS9 will stay in my bag another season.

Our local Dicks had a trio of these on the Cobra rack yesterday. Very light club. I liked the look of the club, much more so than the S9. Didn't swing it, so no impressions on performance, feel, or sound. The weight bothered me though, felt too light, like I'd be swinging nothing compared to my Nickent 4DX.

Back