Lorena Ochoa Invitational (spoilers)

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
How great to have the LPGA back on television! This is a limited field event--only 36 players. Right now, only five threesomes are out, and no one has posted for more than four holes.

There's a tie at the top, and even I have trouble sorting this group of four women out: Song-Hee Kim, In-Kyung Kim, Hee-Won Han, and Eun-Hee Ji.

Interesting field for an invitational.

Interesting field for an invitational.

Agreed. When I saw the leaderboard, my first thought was that I'd like to see a list of how everyone qualified.

Along those lines, Mariajo Uribe is in it, but Helen Alfredsson is not. Interesting compare and contrast.

Song-Hee Kim ends at -7, with Mariajo Uribe and Paula Creamer at -5.

Criteria are the top 5 on the Rolex rankings, the top 26 on this year's money list, one invited Latin American player (that would be Mariajo), one invited Mexican player (Sophia Sheridan), and three others (Natalie Gulbis, Juli Inkster, and Laura Davies).

It surprises me that Gulbis wasn't in the top 26. I knew she didn't do a lot but I just figured she finished better than 39th (I just checked).

It surprises me that Gulbis wasn't in the top 26. I knew she didn't do a lot but I just figured she finished better than 39th (I just checked).

And I'd still rather have Helen Alfredsson than Laura Davies. Granted, Davies is an icon, but she hasn't been competitive in quite a while. Alfredsson veers between scary low and total blowup, but either way, she's entertaining.

And I'd still rather have Helen Alfredsson than Laura Davies. Granted, Davies is an icon, but she hasn't been competitive in quite a while. Alfredsson veers between scary low and total blowup, but either way, she's entertaining.

Plus, she's Helen.

Just looking over the round 2 pairings. I like C. Kerr's card and position. Jyai Shin's as well. Sheesh - Shin's won a ton of money this year. This would be a fun one to attend.

Harry - no pix? :confused2:

Natalie Gulbis withdrew after yesterday's round. I didn't see a fast explanation of why.

Watching today's second round coverage.

They've got the mics set up on the tees so you can really hear the impact. On the par 3s, where the players are hitting irons, it sounds like a gunshot.

I am so attracted to [insert name of skort wearing player here] right now.

And Uribe just holed out from the sand with an amazing shot for a birdie.

EDIT: OMG! Lorena just topped a hybrid and hit a wormburner that didn't even make it close to the green!

So far today, it looks like Jiyai Shin is going to get Player of the Year as well as Rookie of the Year.

Fantastic leaderboard starting the day.

Michelle Wie's swing makes me feel fuhhh-ny.

garth-algar.jpg

OMG! Cristie Kerr just holed out from the fairway and that ball did something I've never seen before!

She holed it on the fly, and you could barely see it, but the ball was circling the cup at high speed! Like the ball on a roulette wheel, but much faster. So cool looking!

EDIT: they replayed it in slow-mo, but you can't see it that way. You can only see it full speed.

This is a really fun round to watch.

Maybe Michelle Wie will win her first this afternoon!

The American Solheim Cuppers are tearing it up today. Love it!

(which reminds me, where the heck is soxy?!?!? I hope I didn't scare her off!)

EDIT: Ahhh crap. Michelle Wie just hit a tree and went backwards. Worse than the shot was what I'm afraid her reaction might indicate. I hope she can recover. She has a history of collapsing after mistakes because she can't recover mentally. :(

She recovered. Looks to have been a great finish. I'm also happy to see MariaJo Uribe place so well.

Okay, my DVR stopped recording right when she sank the putt for the win. Did her Solheim teammates congratulate her?

Last edited:
Back