the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Here is my swing that me and my pro have been working on since I destroyed it last year, feel free to critique.

I'm not an expert but your face looks closed on your take away. Sounds like you have a big fan in the background.

The only thing that I can see is that your left leg straightens out at the top of your backswing.

Here are some things I see. Club face very closed (hooded) during take away. Club face outside the hands at the 9:00 position of the take away. Right knee straight as the club reaches the top. It is kind of hard to see from behind but it appears there's a bit of a reverse C kind of dip with your left side instead of a rotation of the shoulders around the spine during the take away. Kids are great - love the "Daddy, you are the best!" comment.

Here are some things I see. Club face very closed (hooded) during take away. Club face outside the hands at the 9:00 position of the take away. Right knee straight as the club reaches the top. It is kind of hard to see from behind but it appears there's a bit of a reverse C kind of dip with your left side instead of a rotation of the shoulders around the spine during the take away. Kids are great - love the "Daddy, you are the best!" comment.

I agree with most of your comments, but a lot of instructors are advocating the straightening of the trail leg on the backswing because it allows you to make a better turn without swaying. I've seen instructors who say to keep the flex in the right knee even straighten theirs on their backswing. I actually wrote a comment to Michael Breed after he was saying to keep the right leg flexed, but if you watch his trail leg when he swings, it straightens as well. Of course I never got an answer......

Whats your ball flight?

My daughter thinks im the best to when shes filming. Gotta love our kids

I agree with most of your comments, but a lot of instructors are advocating the straightening of the trail leg on the backswing because it allows you to make a better turn without swaying. I've seen instructors who say to keep the flex in the right knee even straighten theirs on their backswing. I actually wrote a comment to Michael Breed after he was saying to keep the right leg flexed, but if you watch his trail leg when he swings, it straightens as well. Of course I never got an answer......
I am not aware of that teaching approach. Just my two cents, anyway. I hope the OP gets it figured out :)

Last edited:

The right leg will lose some flex on the backswing. But the leg should never go straight. It should not lock out. I have never heard an instructor recommend that.

The swing you have requires you keep the flex in your right leg. The lack of flex is adding to the reverse pivot you have, loss of power and upper body swing. If it stays flex you will reduce if not eliminate the over swing.

The club head should be outside the hands except you have not created a 90* angle with the hands and club. With your current swing the lack of angle makes you swing longer and less powerful. So try to create the angle with the club and arms, keep flex in right leg and keep the chest moving through the ball at impact. This should create power and get you off the right side instead of hanging back.

Cheers guys I do get told off for my right knee, and my usual bad habit is to pick my hands up early.

Listen to Tadashi, he's got great advice. My tip would be, be careful taking full swings aiming at your house :act-up:. Never know what you might catch on the ground.

Just got back from a lesson, it amazes me how the tiniest thing can cause problems. I was keeping the flex in my right knee, but the lack of angle was coming from me over reaching for the ball, rather than letting my arms hang free which was making me close the face on the backswing.

Other things I had to work on is timing of the lower body on the down swing, I have a tendency to go early causing blocks.

The swing you have requires you keep the flex in your right leg. The lack of flex is adding to the reverse pivot you have, loss of power and upper body swing. If it stays flex you will reduce if not eliminate the over swing.

The club head should be outside the hands except you have not created a 90* angle with the hands and club. With your current swing the lack of angle makes you swing longer and less powerful. So try to create the angle with the club and arms, keep flex in right leg and keep the chest moving through the ball at impact. This should create power and get you off the right side instead of hanging back.

I think Freddie nailed it here if you slow/stop the video. Here's just past contact in the reverse pivot, still hanging back behind the ball. I do the same at times and lose all my power and direction.

Back