What are you watching? (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you trying to ruin this for me?

In one of the forest scenes, you are supposed to see a cameraman. Look for it.

Me either. You were supposed to find it for me.

I've heard about this, but never done it.

Continuity: The Wicked Witch of the West appears in Munchkin Land in an explosion of smoke, but the Munchkins start running and screaming before the explosion.

Continuity: When Dorothy first enters Munchkinland, she places her arm around Toto. In the very next shot, her arm is immediately extended again.

Revealing mistakes: Just before the Wicked Witch appears in Munchkinland, one of the munchkins screams too early. (S)he screams a second or so before the witch shows up.

Revealing mistakes: When the wizard rewards the lion with his badge, the lion shakes his head in embarrassment. As his head moves you can see the white t-shirt under the costume.

Revealing mistakes: When the wicked witch is melting the outline of the trap door is visible under the witches dress.

Crew or equipment visible: Studio lights are occasionally seen reflected in the shiny Emerald City floor.

Revealing mistakes: When Dorothy and her companions are trying to escape from the witch in her castle, one of them bumps up against the "stone" structure, indenting it, and revealing that it is really a canvas flat. (It is very subtle and hard to see.)

Continuity: After the lion finishes the king of the forest performance the lion says, "You can say that again!... Huh?" the close-up shot before the gatekeeper appears shows the lion has his right arm down. In the next shot the gatekeeper appears ("the wizard says 'go away'") and the lion now has his right arm up.

Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When Glinda kisses Dorothy goodbye, she hits her crown with her wand.

Crew or equipment visible: In the scene in the farm yard by the pigs, at or near when she is balancing on the fence you can see a boom shadow pass over the scene.

Revealing mistakes: After The Wicked Witch of the West is looking in her crystal ball and talking to her monkey minion we can see windows behind her showing a scene outside. As the witch gets on her broomstick she knocks one of the windows and it is shown to be a sheet with the window painted on. The sheet wobbles.

Continuity: When Dorothy is crying because she cannot see the Wizard, the lion's crown is behind the scarecrow but when the guard is crying and they turn around, it's to the far right of the screen.

Crew or equipment visible: When we first see Munchkinland, in one of the establishing shots you can see the shadow of the camera pass over the shot.

Crew or equipment visible: Several times Studio Lights are reflected in the crystal balls for Professor Marval and the Wicked Witch of the West.

Miscellaneous: When Dorothy first arrives in Munchkin Land the Studio Lights are reflected on some of the flower leaves, showing that they are obviously fake.

Continuity: The Tin Man puts the Lion's crown on his right ear and there's a clear shot of him putting it on. Next shot, the crown is on his left ear and his hand has disappeared too quickly.

Revealing mistakes: As the Lion is singing, "If I Were the King of the Forest," and his tail is flopping from side to side, a string cam be seen controlling his tail. Just before the Scarecrow and Tinman put on the Lion's cape, you can see the Tinman remove the wire with a quick yank.

Audio/visual unsynchronized: When the Cowardly Lion sings "If I Were King", he sings the line "Monarch of all I survey!" twice. The first time, you can hear him sing the word "Monarch", but his lips are not moving at all.

Revealing mistakes: Twister scene, as Aunt Em runs out of the house and things are blowing around, the hanging flower pot on the porch is still.

Continuity: During the twister scenes, as Aunt Em is calling for Dorothy, there are some objects in the background (including a tree that isn't blowing) that disappear when Dorothy arrives and tries to get Aunt Em to let her in the storm cellar.

Audio/visual unsynchronized: In at least two shots, where the violin players in red and white are visible, as Dorothy is leaving Munchkin Land, the sounds of the violins in the accompanying music do not match the actors' hand movements.

Revealing mistakes: After the scarecrow was re-stuffed because of his body being severed by the monkeys, he stands up, and trips slightly in the hole that was meant to conceal the lower half of his body.

Revealing mistakes: When Dorothy is leaving Munchkinland, when she turns around and waves, the matte painting to the extreme right of the screen covers two or three Munchkins.

Miscellaneous: After the line, "Well, my little pretty, I can cause accidents too," Margaret Hamilton is clearly about to deliver further dialog, but was cut. The script backs up this claim. The full dialog was: "Well, my little pretty, I can cause accidents, too - and this is how I do it!"

Miscellaneous: Dorothy seems to step in a small hole when she walks down from the hill of poppies arm in arm with her companions. You can see her mouth open in surprise, but continues on with the scene.

Audio/visual unsynchronized: The oil can used to lubricate the Tinman is a pump type which does not make the same sound as a non-pump type, although the sound technicians dubbed in the wrong sound with each pump.

Continuity: The ticking heart the Wizard gives the Tin Man reads 1:10 when first given to him. It still reads 1:10 in the balloon scene.

Audio/visual unsynchronized: The Mayor and his agents' voices get mismatched in at least two places. During the congratulatory music, one Munchkin interrupts the festivities and demands legal verification of the Witch's death. When they exchange words, saying "From now on you'll be history! You'll be hist - you'll be hist - you'll be history!", that "lawyer" Munchkin has a completely different voice, as though from a different actor. Furthermore, when the Mayor says that last "history!", we hear not his voice, but that of the "lawyer" Munchkin.

Continuity: When Dorothy and the Scarecrow use the oil can on the Tin Woodman, there are vines around the Tin Woodman's left arm and left knee. The Scarecrow briskly removes the vine around the arm, but not the vine around the knee. When the Tin Woodman moves to the Yellow Brick Road to dance, he has no vines on him.

Plot holes: It is never explained how the Wizard knew in advance that the Scarecrow wanted a brain, the Tin Man a heart, or the Cowardly Lion courage. No one is ever shown telling him this after Dorothy and her friends arrive at the Emerald City. But in the first throne room scene, when they speak to the Wizard for the first time, he reveals that he already knows what the group wants. (In L. Frank Baum's original book, each member of the group speaks to the Wizard individually, and each tells the Wizard their request.)

Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): In the scene where Glinda appears in Munchkinland and meets Dorothy, she asks Dorothy whether she is a "good witch or a bad witch". Seconds later, when Dorothy learns that Glinda herself is a witch and comments on her beauty ("I've never heard of a beautiful witch before"), Glinda replies with "Only bad witches are ugly", a statement from which she herself should have been able to deduce Dorothy's morality (good or bad).

Crew or equipment visible: When they awake in the field of poppies, a crew member can be seen running under the flowers downstage left.

Continuity: After the witch drops Toto into the lidded basket, a flying monkey takes the basket's handle in his left hand, moves behind Dorothy, and turns around, so the basket is to the right of his body. As she approaches him, the shot changes and the basket is on the left, on stone architectural feature at table height, having instantly moved several feet.

Continuity: Between when the Cowardly Lion is singing about courage and when he switches platforms to talk about it his crown turns from front to back.

Continuity: When the Tin Man and the Lion and the Scarecrow arrive to liberate Dorothy from the witch's castle, there is no sign of an ax. The Tin Man suddenly pulls out an ax to break down the heavy wooden door. Where did the ax come from?

Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): After Dorothy tells Glinda that she's not a witch, Glinda asks her "did you bring your broomstick with you"?

Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): One of the Munchkins sings "I have thoroughly examined the witch and I do declare she is dead", however, a few scenes later you can see the house is completely covering the bad witch with only her feet sticking out. How could she have been "throughly examined"?

Revealing mistakes: When Dorothy first meets the Scarecrow, the actor hanging on the pole clearly isn't Ray Bolger. Also, when he talks to Dorothy while he's hanging on the pole, his mouth doesn't move when he speaks.

Continuity: When Dorothy walks over to the curtain where the wizard is, she leans down and picks up Toto who was tied to the curtain. When she picks him up he's already untied.

Continuity: When lion is showing everyone his medal of courage, in one shot he's holding it, then in the next shot he's not holding it, and then in the next shot he's holding it again.

Continuity: Length of Dorothy's hair throughout the film.

Continuity: In Munchkinland, when the Wicked Witch is making her way toward the ruby slippers, a mild shadow is cast upon the side of the house. In the next shot that shows the slippers disappearing, the shadow is gone. The shadow then reappears in the shot after that where the which cries, "They're gone!"

Continuity: One shot shows the ruby slippers disappearing off the feet of the Wicked Witch of the East. Immediately in the next shot, the Wicked Witch appears, apparently superimposed over a screen backdrop of that scene.

Revealing mistakes: When the Wicked Witch of the West disappears from Munchkinland in a cloud of smoke and fire, the smoke appears before she reaches her mark.

Continuity: When the Wizard leaves Oz, the Tinman does help loosen the rope. As Dorothy chases after Toto, the rope on the right side of the balloon falls off the post. But in the next shot, it is tied up again.

Continuity: When the Wicked Witch of the West is liquefied, Dorothy clearly empties the entire bucket of water on her. But the next shot has a close up of the witch reacting to another splash of water. Also in that the scene, the scarecrow and a guard are in the middle of the corridor, but in the following shot, just the witch is in the middle of the room melting.

Miscellaneous: In the close-up shot that shows the wizard's guard crying, tears can be seen dripping from his eyebrow.

Continuity: When the farmhouse is shown swirling around in the cyclone, from the outside Dorothy's bedroom windows are closed but from the inside shots they are obviously open.

Continuity: After meeting the Tin Man, Dorothy and the Scarecrow help him off the grass. Dorothy is holding a huge red apple which she clearly drops. The apple reappears in a subsequent shot.

Continuity: At the beginning of the film as Dorothy and Toto run down the dirt road toward the farmhouse, Dorothy bends down to pick Toto up and you can see a grease spot on the front of Dorothy's apron, but by the time they reach the farm, the spot has disappeared.

Continuity: The location of the Munchkin that hands Dorothy the lollipop changes four times.

Continuity: During the apple tree sequence, Dorothy's slippers momentarily disappear (she is wearing black dance shoes).

Revealing mistakes: After the Tin Man is dropped by the "spooks", Dorothy and the Scarecrow run up to him. As he attempts to get up the top of the costume comes up, and you can see Jack Haley's t-shirt.

Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): During the song, "If I Were King of the Forest," the Lion asks, "What makes the Sphinx the seventh wonder?" The Great Pyramid, not the Sphinx, is one of the seven ancient wonders of the world.

Continuity: The witch tells the flying monkey "I've sent a little insect on ahead of you, to take the fight out of them," a reference to the deleted jitterbug scene. See also the Trivia entry.

Revealing mistakes: After the Scarecrow, the Tinman and the Lion rescue Dorothy, they run downstairs. As the door slams shut, the order is Scarecrow, Dorothy, Tinman, and Cowardly Lion. In the next shot, Dorothy and Tinman have switched positions.

Continuity: After the Tin Man sings "If I Only Had A Heart" and starts his dance in the road, the scene shows Dorothy and the Scarecrow watching him dance; Dorothy's right arm is crooked like she is carrying the basket but the basket is not on her arm. The next scene has her holding the basket on her arm.

Audio/visual unsynchronized: While Dorothy, the scarecrow, and the tin-man are in the forest after finding the tin-man, the three start to sing. And when it comes turn for Dorothy to say the first, "Oh my!" her mouth does not move.

Crew or equipment visible: The shadow of the camera crew is visible as it pans across the nest of the munchkins hatching in Munchkinland.

Revealing mistakes: A square block of wood to which the Lion's tail was attached is visible when the Tinman is pulling on it while climbing up a hill.

Continuity: Juxtaposition of the adventurers when they're about the run out of the castle.

Continuity: When the Wicked Witch of the West throws fire at the Scarecrow, the Tin Man uses his funnel (hat) to put the fire out. He then replaces the funnel back on his head, but the shot is a mirror image (his hat and buttons are reversed). In the next shot it is back to normal. This may have been to compensate for a deleted scene.

Revealing mistakes: When the Wicked Witch of the West throws fire at the Scarecrow, the fire goes out just as the Tin Man begins to use his funnel to put it out.

Revealing mistakes: When the house finally lands, the furniture and floors are level, indicating that it landed flat and intact. Yet when we see the exterior after Dorothy has entered Munchkinland, the right end of the house's foundation has nearly broken in half over The Wicked Witch of the East, and the siding has sustained major damage.

Continuity: The position of the Coroner's hand holding the Certificate of Death.

Revealing mistakes: When Toto reveals the Wizard by pulling the curtain aside, he doesn't use his mouth; the curtain is tied to the dog. Dorothy can even be seen later removing the rope.

Continuity: When Dorothy, the scarecrow, the lion, and the tin man are on their way to get the witch's broom, the lion is holding an insect sprayer in one shot and in the next it is gone.

Miscellaneous: The Tin Man can be seen untying the rope holding the Wizard's balloon down so it will fly away.

Revealing mistakes: In the "King of the Forest" scene, Dorothy trips up the emerald carpet on her way back up the stairs.

Revealing mistakes: The lion's crown, which was made from a shattered flower pot, bounced on the floor when knocked off by the guard, and When it was made, without breaking.

Continuity: The "unbreakable crown" subsequently disappears completely.

Revealing mistakes: When Dorothy is helping to oil the Tin Man, she grabs onto his arm and shows that the "tin" arm is quite flexible.

Miscellaneous: The lion's line "My life has been simply dreadful" comes out as "Mice life...”.

Continuity: When the four travelers confront the fraudulent Wizard, the Scarecrow is standing second from the left, between the Tin Man and Dorothy, up until the line, "And Scarecrow's brain?" In the very next shot, however, when the Wizard replies, "Why, anybody can have a brain," the Scarecrow is suddenly standing first on the right, next to the Cowardly Lion.

Continuity: When Professor Marvel has Dorothy close her eyes "... to be better in tune with the infinite" and rifles through her basket, he takes out the picture of Dorothy and Aunt Em. There is no shot of him "holding" the picture, it's just resting on a dark background.

Continuity: When Dorothy first meets the Scarecrow, he vacillates between having his head above the top of the pole and having his head below the top of the pole.

Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): The sign to the witch's castle is misspelled.

Continuity: When Toto escapes from the Witch's Castle, Dorothy says, "He got away! He got away!". Her arm on the window switches position.

Incorrectly regarded as goofs: When the scarecrow is given his honorary diploma from the wizard, he attempts to recite Pythagoras' Theorem concerning the length of sides of a triangle, but the details he lists are wrong. This was a deliberate joke on the part of the filmmakers to illustrate that intelligence is more than just being able to memorize a formula.

Continuity: When the flying monkey grabs Dorothy, the sky of flying monkeys shows Dorothy being carried. Behind her, a flying monkey carries Toto. In the next shot on the ground, a monkey then grabs Toto to carry him off.

Revealing mistakes: When Dorothy meets the Scarecrow, the string that is holding him up is visible.

Continuity: After being joined by the Tin Man, as the three start back down the Yellow Brick Road, the negative is flipped. Refer to orientation of buttons on Scarecrow's shirt, rivets on Tin Man's torso, and orientation of Tin Man's funnel cap. This was probably done to compensate for continuity error in characters' positioning.

Continuity: Dorothy's giant lollipop (given to her by the guild) disappears between shots when the Witch appears in a cloud of red smoke.

Continuity: When the Scarecrow chops through the rope holding the chandelier in the Witch's castle, the candles extinguish as the chandelier drops. In the next shot the candles are re-lit.

Continuity: At the end of the Tin Man's song, the oil can bounces out of Dorothy's basket, but in the next shot, she pulls the oil can out of the basket and uses it to oil the Tinman.

Crew or equipment visible: Studio lights reflected in the window as it blows out of its frame toward Dorothy and knocks her unconscious.

Incorrectly regarded as goofs: There is no stage hand on set at the end of the Tinman sequence, nor was anyone hanged, nor did they fall out of a tree. The shadowy figure at the back of the set as Dorothy, Scarecrow and Tinman set off down the Yellow Brick Road is a large bird stretching its wings.

Continuity: When the Witch sees the ruby slippers under the house and approaches Dorothy and Glinda, you can briefly see that her legs are white, not green. This same mistake can be seen when she says, "Ring around the rosy, a pocket full of spears...”

Revealing mistakes: The purple "horse of a different color" can be seen licking off his purple dye, which was made of grape-flavored gelatin.

Revealing mistakes: A trapdoor can be seen opening so the Wicked Witch of the West can leave Munchkin Land.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032138/goofs

Mistakes or not - the movie is 70 years old and I think it's still impressive.

They all have mistakes. Look up about any movie on imdb and they have a "Goofs" section that is pretty fun to look at.

I'm watching a blank screen. It's pouring here and my dish is not receiving a signal. I'm going to get ATT U-verse whenever it becomes available here.

They all have mistakes. Look up about any movie on imdb and they have a "Goofs" section that is pretty fun to look at.

Every movie has someone that is in charge of continuity, but it's a huge job and easy to see how mistakes can happen.

The horse of a different color is on. I love this part.

The horse of a different color is on. I love this part.

When I was growing up, we never had a color television. I didn't get that part.

With the football games running over (again), CBS programming is a half hour behind. So I am just now getting ready to start watching Cold Case.

In about 5 minutes, we'll be watching Big Break Disney. With all the commercials, we will probably be done about the time it's over for real.

Robin Hood- Men in Tights. :D

Criminal Minds.

I've had the MacKenzie Phillips interview on Oprah on the DVR since September, and we're finally watching it. Bizarre story.

I always wonder why people feel the need to confess such personal things to the world. I guess it's cathartic for them, but can place a burden on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back