Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I go to the range, I practice with a purpose - start with the lob wedge hitting short pitches, then once I get a few perfect shots in a row I move up a club. I ONLY break the driver out when there are like 10-12 balls left out of a large bucket.

I used to do this at the range, now I switched it up based on some advice from my instructor, and find my range sessions even more fruitful. First, like you, I warm up with the higher lofts, working my way to the driver. This is about 1/5 of a large bucket.

The rest of the balls, I "play a round" with. By that I mean, I imagine myself on a course. Sometimes I will use range stakes as boundaries rather than targets. Its easy to visualize two stakes as the edges of a fairway. Keep my drives between them.

I will hit the driver, sort of like a first tee. Then, depending on how I hit that, I will hit a 9. Or a 7. Whatever....the key is to imagine yourself on a track and not hitting the same club more than a couple times to dial in. Then, to the wedge for a pitch shot to a pin. Repeat, switch targets. Switch the club sequence up. Driver, 3h, PW. 7i to a pin like a par 3. 3w, 9, wedge. Play a track in your head.

I also take my time. Some dudes show up and hit 5-6 balls for every one of mine. Definitely not productive practice in my opinion.

This works great for me.

I just started breaking 100 consistently a couple months ago, and just shot a 91 the other day - my lowest ever. The 90 barrier will be broken soon!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Failed today with a 113 several penalties, swing was way off today back/shoulders are in one big knot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Shot a 97 today. Had some good shots and some meltdown holes, but also made some pars and otherwise played bogey golf. Felt good to have a goal in mind and be willing to try some shots I wouldn't normally try. Feel like I'm still long ways from breaking 90, but this was a huge round for me today. Need to get over my first tee jitters and get off to a faster start.

Shot a 97 today. Had some good shots and some meltdown holes, but also made some pars and otherwise played bogey golf. Felt good to have a goal in mind and be willing to try some shots I wouldn't normally try. Feel like I'm still long ways from breaking 90, but this was a huge round for me today. Need to get over my first tee jitters and get off to a faster start.

Congrats!

Getting closer to the Century mark here! I've been consistently 104-106 the last few rounds, down from the 1-teens...

I have been working on developing a consistent pre-shot routine and really spending time at the range working on my swing instead of just whacking balls as fast as I can like I did before. I've also noticed a little more confidence on the course, and I've been working to keep my driver-ego in check... I've found that playing with better golfers has helped me play better instead of being very intimidated like I have been in the past. Ultimately, I just go out there and play MY game.

I used to do this at the range, now I switched it up based on some advice from my instructor, and find my range sessions even more fruitful. First, like you, I warm up with the higher lofts, working my way to the driver. This is about 1/5 of a large bucket.

The rest of the balls, I "play a round" with. By that I mean, I imagine myself on a course. Sometimes I will use range stakes as boundaries rather than targets. Its easy to visualize two stakes as the edges of a fairway. Keep my drives between them.

I will hit the driver, sort of like a first tee. Then, depending on how I hit that, I will hit a 9. Or a 7. Whatever....the key is to imagine yourself on a track and not hitting the same club more than a couple times to dial in. Then, to the wedge for a pitch shot to a pin. Repeat, switch targets. Switch the club sequence up. Driver, 3h, PW. 7i to a pin like a par 3. 3w, 9, wedge. Play a track in your head.

I also take my time. Some dudes show up and hit 5-6 balls for every one of mine. Definitely not productive practice in my opinion.

This works great for me.

I just started breaking 100 consistently a couple months ago, and just shot a 91 the other day - my lowest ever. The 90 barrier will be broken soon!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I'm not trying to ingrain proper swing technique, I like to play those imaginary rounds as well. I also find the other folks at the range are pretty fast paced. I find taking it slowly is far more productive. Good luck on breaking 90!

Getting closer to the Century mark here! I've been consistently 104-106 the last few rounds, down from the 1-teens...

I have been working on developing a consistent pre-shot routine and really spending time at the range working on my swing instead of just whacking balls as fast as I can like I did before. I've also noticed a little more confidence on the course, and I've been working to keep my driver-ego in check... I've found that playing with better golfers has helped me play better instead of being very intimidated like I have been in the past. Ultimately, I just go out there and play MY game.

I rarely pull the driver out of the bag. In fact, this time last year I was just leaving it at home. I have also found that I am becoming less intimidated by playing with better golfers. I have a lot in common with them in fact - much like myself, they are typically dissatisfied with about 1/2 their shots and occasionally rant like like a lunatic!

Tomorrow is the day...playing in a VSGA one day tournament, hitting the ball so well lately, I feel like I may break 100 and 90 for the first time in the same round!

I did it! 95 today!
Started lessons in May and they are the best thing you can do for your game.

Tomorrow is the day...playing in a VSGA one day tournament, hitting the ball so well lately, I feel like I may break 100 and 90 for the first time in the same round!

Go tear that course up Gill!

Congrats to the 100 score breakers and good luck tomorrow Gill!

I rarely pull the driver out of the bag. In fact, this time last year I was just leaving it at home. I have also found that I am becoming less intimidated by playing with better golfers. I have a lot in common with them in fact - much like myself, they are typically dissatisfied with about 1/2 their shots and occasionally rant like like a lunatic!
Funny you mention raving like a lunatic... Last week we played a charity scramble and my tee shots, driver or otherwise were absolutely dreadful! I hit an absolute bomb on 17, my buddy says, "I don't even have to look, I know it's good... I didn't hear a string of '$%^& @&^$ @#%$^' after the shot!"

Funny you mention raving like a lunatic... Last week we played a charity scramble and my tee shots, driver or otherwise were absolutely dreadful! I hit an absolute bomb on 17, my buddy says, "I don't even have to look, I know it's good... I didn't hear a string of '$%^& @&^$ @#%$^' after the shot!"

hahahaha....that put a smile on my face!

I had a 102 last week, then today took a step back at 113. To many inconsistent shots. Good strikes that were aimed horribly, properly aimed hits that went 40 yards, left, right, up down, arrrrggghhh. I need a lesson.

104 last Saturday, even though it felt like one of my worst rounds ever (only 1 par)...so again a few strokes closer to that magical mark. Only 2 penalties and 1 bunker. Irons were pretty solid but the greens were awfull and cost me a few strokes (grass on the green looked liked it wasn't cut for a few days...)

I did manage to chip in for a 0-putt (to "save" double bogey...)

ugg, first 9 holes I was +8, and that included an 8 on a par 4...was playign lights out. Last 9 a different story, +25, finished with a 105, though for handicap a 102 because of wonderful 11 I posted on probably the easiest par 5 of the day...

I'm encourage though, and know I'll put it together at some point this season. Really no reason I shouldn't be able to post a mid to low 90 score if I can just rermove the blowup holes. Looking at my card, I was +14 on 3 holes. I'm celebrating right now if I could have just been +9 over on those 3...there's my 100. Frustrating :p

ugg, first 9 holes I was +8, and that included an 8 on a par 4...was playign lights out. Last 9 a different story, +25, finished with a 105, though for handicap a 102 because of wonderful 11 I posted on probably the easiest par 5 of the day...

I'm encourage though, and know I'll put it together at some point this season. Really no reason I shouldn't be able to post a mid to low 90 score if I can just rermove the blowup holes. Looking at my card, I was +14 on 3 holes. I'm celebrating right now if I could have just been +9 over on those 3...there's my 100. Frustrating :p

It's tough to have those rounds where you playing well then it goes south. Keep at it and you'll get there Gill!

Can you point out where your loosing the most strokes on average?

It's tough to have those rounds where you playing well then it goes south. Keep at it and you'll get there Gill!

Can you point out where your loosing the most strokes on average?

Well from a hole perspective, looking at my golfshot data, Par 5's are my worst. My average over 13 rounds recorded:

Par 3: 4.5
Par 4: 5.8
Par 5: 7

Here's my scorecard today, I started on the 11th hole to gain perspective of my round...more i think about it more pissed i get...lol

willowoaks_zps531d6919.png

I do tend to play worse on the back 9...not sure if it's physical and just need to get into better shape, or if it's mental and when I start well i start thinking about what scores i coudl shoot...i mean, i'd be lying if I thought at the end of 9 today (after playing 1), I wasn't thinking I had a legitimate shot to touch 90....and then the walls caved in. Especially on the 8th hole (my 16th), where I just completely imploded and couldn't hit a straight shot. Also my only real duff off the tee for the day, caught the heel and didn't get to the ladies tees.

Have you been keeping yourself hydrated Gill? That's something I'm going to work on next time out. I get so caught up in playing that I don't drink enough, and even though I don't feel thirsty, I know I'm hurting my game. I need to get a few bottles of Gatorade or something and force myself to drink more.

You know...not really. Will definitely keep in mind next time out

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Well from a hole perspective, looking at my golfshot data, Par 5's are my worst. My average over 13 rounds recorded:

Par 3: 4.5
Par 4: 5.8
Par 5: 7

Here's my scorecard today, I started on the 11th hole to gain perspective of my round...more i think about it more pissed i get...lol

willowoaks_zps531d6919.png

I do tend to play worse on the back 9...not sure if it's physical and just need to get into better shape, or if it's mental and when I start well i start thinking about what scores i coudl shoot...i mean, i'd be lying if I thought at the end of 9 today (after playing 1), I wasn't thinking I had a legitimate shot to touch 90....and then the walls caved in. Especially on the 8th hole (my 16th), where I just completely imploded and couldn't hit a straight shot. Also my only real duff off the tee for the day, caught the heel and didn't get to the ladies tees.

A suggestion I have is to move up a box and play closest to 5900-6000 yards. Mental game is a big part of 18 holes. As you said, you start to think about scores. Give yourself some easier shots into the green and get the 90's under your belt to boost confidence. That will make a big difference. It did for me atleast. Every hole, just think bogey. Turn your par 4's into 5's, 3's into 4's, so on...Take the pressure off yourself. Hope that can help.

Didn't have a choice today as it was a tournament, but honestly distance doesn't really matter (up to about 6600), as the scores are all about the same, though believe me, when its up to me, I play from the forward tees...no ego here on that

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

I've played most of the past few years 9 holes at a time. Saturday I played 18, and Iadmittedly it was a much tougher course than I was used to, but the combination of a long warmup (free unlimited range balls and was asked to test equipment) and TWO nines really whupped my behind! I was really dragging the last few holes.

I definitely think I'm going to have to get into better physical shape to play 18 & 36 at THP outings. Don't know if you feel this way too, Gill, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt!

I finally did it. Broke 100 for the first time. 50 on the front 9, 47 on the back. If I could stop 3 putting so much, would have been even better. I finally swung my practice swing while I was over the ball. I usually swing a smooth practice swing, then get over the ball and try and hit it too hard. I still topped a lot of balls, and hit a few more too thin, but getting over that 100 barrier was nice. I know I can do it now. I have a best ball scramble on Thursday with one of the guys I played with tonight. The other guy I played with tonight drove a 335 yard par 4 green. He is probably going to win the long drive on Thursday, if he can keep it in the fairway. I on the other hand would love to just hit my driver straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back