Woo-hoo! I did it!

dannyka

Reaction score
Handicap
11.0 GHIN
At the beginning of this season, around March here in Utah, I set a goal of breaking 20 as a handicap, and with the latest revision on 11/1, I did it! I'm officially a 19.5! Thanks to everyone here who helped out my game (even though you may not have known it. I read a lot of posts over the last few months...).

Picture5.png

So what handicap should I shoot for next season? :bulgy-eyes:

Great Job!!! The lower you get the harder it gets but keep setting goals. Getting into the low to mid 80's consistently would be a great!!!

Congrats. Always nice to knock a goal down.

Congrats!! 16 strokes is a great improvement.

I would enjoy the moment for a little bit before setting next year's goal. You have tracked your progress so far and probably can see an area that you would like to work on. Concentrate on that area (Putting, Driving, Chipping). Your game has become more consistent now you can do some fine tuning.

Great improvement!

Congrats. I'm sure you will set your goal realistically, yet tough and still make it. Good job!

That is awesome Danny! Graz is right though, when you get right at breaking a single digit is when it gets hard to move it much. I'm glad you reached your goal so dropping 2 or 3 strokes a season from here on out would be a great season. It gets harder and harder but its always fun to break records each and every time you go out.

15 would be my goal if I am at 19.5. Most likely you are losing strokes around the green or through putting, so concentrate on those 2 areas and it should be easily reachable.

Congrats on getting under 20! Taking into account my season this year, I would go for making sure you maintain it next year and not take a step backward. Maybe aim for anything under 18. Goals are nice, but as has been mentioned earlier, getting it lower gets harder the lower you get.

Your handicap got steadily lower and lower all season though, so you might have a better chance of achieving that 15. Last year mine went up and down all season. (This year I didn't keep track, I stepped that far backward!)

Congratulations! I need to get out of the 20's. Hope to do it before my next birthday. Way to swing dannyka!

15 would be my goal if I am at 19.5. Most likely you are losing strokes around the green or through putting, so concentrate on those 2 areas and it should be easily reachable.
You're exactly right on the short game. Way too many missed up-and-downs. That's where I'll concentrate my practices this winter: pitching, chipping, and putting. A few inches of snow on the green shouldn't affect my putts, should it?

You're exactly right on the short game. Way too many missed up-and-downs. That's where I'll concentrate my practices this winter: pitching, chipping, and putting. A few inches of snow on the green shouldn't affect my putts, should it?

I would wager it is every high handicappers short coming in their game. Do you use multiple irons around the greens and not just wedges? When I stopped trying to use just wedges around the greens, I bet I dropped at least 5 strokes a round. There are soo many more things that can go wrong with trying to hit a wedge vs. say a 7-9 iron chip and letting it roll out instead of flying a wedge shot close to the hole. All assuming you do not have to carry a bunker, etc. and are able to get the ball on the ground and rolling. Just this weekend 3 times I was right off the green chipping for an eagle and 2 times hit the flagstick, whereas with a wedge I don't think I would have been nearly as close. All 3 times I still made the birdie.

that's awesome. good job

Great Job Danny!!!! I hope to join you soon...sitting at 20.5 right now.

Great Job! Impressive work on setting a goal and achieving it this season

Danny,

great job - remember to enjoy the game!

great job!!! hope you had fun doing it!

That's awesome! Great work! I'd say shoot for 15 next year, it's tough for manageable.

Thanks for the kinds words everyone!

Yes, I think 15 will be a good goal for next year. And as some suggested above, I'll be working on my short game over the winter to help me reach it.

Great job! I remember when I finally got under 20 earlier this season for the first time (had played previously years ago so I had some experience). I made a goal to get down to 15 by the end of the season, and I have! The goals I set for myself to get there were to first off start keeping track of stats every round (shots/putts per hole, hit fairway or direction missed, and distance of first putt and UD/SS/GIRs). By the time I got down to a 16 I noticed that I was making another 2 up & downs per round, and making a few more putts inside of 10 feet, plus hitting another couple fairways even though my drive has become a little shorter. Concentrate on the short stuff around the green and you will be there quicker than you think next year!

Great job! I remember when I finally got under 20 earlier this season for the first time (had played previously years ago so I had some experience). I made a goal to get down to 15 by the end of the season, and I have! The goals I set for myself to get there were to first off start keeping track of stats every round (shots/putts per hole, hit fairway or direction missed, and distance of first putt and UD/SS/GIRs). By the time I got down to a 16 I noticed that I was making another 2 up & downs per round, and making a few more putts inside of 10 feet, plus hitting another couple fairways even though my drive has become a little shorter. Concentrate on the short stuff around the green and you will be there quicker than you think next year!
Thanks! And congrats on getting to 15. Great feeling, huh?

And I think 15 is exactly my goal for next year with work on the short game slated for this winter--that is, when there isn't too much snow on the ground... :snowman:

Congrats DK, in our climate I think it's harder because you have to take a big break in winter.

Back