PGA Tour Academy: Home Edition - THP Preview

I'm really debating taking the plunge and buying this. For $145 it's a little cheaper than a 3 lesson package here. I like that it has a guided practice routine and looks very thorough. The 3 month payment plan doesn't hurt a bit either to stretch it out. :act-up:

OK, I just finished Lesson #2: Putting

The lesson was very simple, and having been a student of SPi, the fundamentals they are teaching are very similar and I realized that I have let mine slip a little over time through the lesson. If you've never had a proper putting lesson, this would be invaluable, as I see many different putting setups on the course, and the people who putt the best usually have the same basics. Again, I am doing the white track, which is for beginners and high handicappers, so the blue track may be more beneficial if you're already a decent putter. I am sticking with only the beginner track right now, so I did not peek at the blue. I'm sure JMan will provide feedback on the blue track next week when he reaches that point anyway.

The beginning drills for tomorrow's practice are likely drills that you've seen before. Place a golf towel behind the hole and hit 3 balls from 3, 6, 9, and 12ft. The goal is to make the putts, of course. But if you miss, your ball should end up on the towel. If you leave it short, it never had a chance anyways, and if you miss, you want to leave it 10-12" past the cup for an easy kick in. After you've done this drill twice, you move to the around the world drill at the same distances with 2 balls from each location. One side should be straight uphill, one straight downhill, one left to right and one right to left. Again, trying to make them, but if you don't they should be an easy kick in.

Again, because I had putting lessons before, nothing really new popped out at me but it was a good refresher on proper grip and keeping the shaft in line with your forearms which is something I haven't been doing lately. The drills will be invaluable though, because like most people I typically just go to the putting green and knock some putts around with no clear goals on what I'm trying to accomplish.

I still think the focused practice schedule is the most beneficial part of this program so far.

I broke down and bought it today. I really like the practice schedule and watched trailers for each lesson. I can't wait until it gets here and to get started.

Just finished the putting practice for an hour, and it was apparent very quickly that my alignment has gotten really bad over time since my last putting lessons. Once I got my alignment straight using the provided alignment rods, it was time to work on speed. I'm still having a problem with pace on short breaking putts, but it's getting better. I remember how much more difficult the towel drill is than it sounds. The Around The World drill is no picnic either when you're struggling with speed.

No lessons tomorrow. Tomorrow is another practice day, where I work on the practice routine from Lesson 1: Grip, Posture and Alignment and Lesson 2: Putting. It should be a very fruitful practice session for me.

I would be interested in this product. My problem however is I work on the road. I'm gone 4 days a week. From what I have read it sounds like unless you can devote the proper time to the lessons, it might not be worth it. Not to mention Winter is coming up.

I would be interested in this product. My problem however is I work on the road. I'm gone 4 days a week. From what I have read it sounds like unless you can devote the proper time to the lessons, it might not be worth it. Not to mention Winter is coming up.

You need to be able to dedicate 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week to do the program as written in the 8 weeks. I use my lunch hour at work on the practice days during the week, but I'm lucky enough to have a driving range and course less than a mile from my office. The lessons can all be done at home in front of the TV, it's the "practice facility" time that may be challenging for most people.

You need to be able to dedicate 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week to do the program as written in the 8 weeks. I use my lunch hour at work on the practice days during the week, but I'm lucky enough to have a driving range and course less than a mile from my office. The lessons can all be done at home in front of the TV, it's the "practice facility" time that may be challenging for most people.

Thanks. Kinda figured it wouldn't work with being on the road.

Today's practice was pretty productive. I had to do GPA practice again and putting practice. I was hitting beautiful shots with my 8 iron, and my 6 iron is coming around a bit, but still inconsistent for me. That's OK though, it's a process.

The putting practice was almost an exercise in futility. I got out to the green and they had just sanded it, which really made working on speed and distance rough, but I didn't waste the time at all. I worked on the fundamentals and routine for about 45 minutes, which is never time wasted.

Tomorrow, I am going to brave 9 holes after work as a checkpoint in my learning process. I don't expect greatness, but I would like to work on GPA and putting actually on the course. Hopefully with all the repetition, it will start to get a bit easier and more comfortable out on the course. I don't want too many swing thoughts while I'm on the course. When I played on Saturday, I was so screwed up at first because of all the stuff going through my head, but repetition is the key. Don't go backwards just because you hit a few bad shots on the course. It's a process. It's a process. It's a process.

This is most interesting to follow...seems like a great kit, and I'm anxious to hear how it develops. I am in a similar situation to Flying Wedge, in that I'm not sure I can dedicate the time to be consistent with it, but I am still debating just to see some of the drills suggested. Thanks for sharing, and keep the entries coming!

Would this still work if you take longer than the 8 weeks? I would like it as I don't have time or a pro in the area for lessons, but due to work I won't have time to go to the range every day

Would this still work if you take longer than the 8 weeks? I would like it as I don't have time or a pro in the area for lessons, but due to work I won't have time to go to the range every day

I'm sure it would still be beneficial, but the schedule is actually laid out to provide the most improvement in a systematic way where one block leads into the next. I know from taking lessons before, I wouldn't see much of an improvement because I didn't do rigid practice after the lessons and get enough repetitions in to ingrain what I was working on permanently. Sticking by the schedule gives you enough practice time to ingrain the changes, but not too much time in between to where you start to adjust things on your own before you've gotten to the lesson that addresses that section.

I have to be honest, it's been really tough for me to stick with just watching the white track and staying out of the blue and also not skipping to the Impact Zone and Driving lessons, since those are my two weaknesses. I'm trying to stick to the program exactly as written to see how much benefit there is for the average high handicapper.

I'm sure it would still be beneficial, but the schedule is actually laid out to provide the most improvement in a systematic way where one block leads into the next. I know from taking lessons before, I wouldn't see much of an improvement because I didn't do rigid practice after the lessons and get enough repetitions in to ingrain what I was working on permanently. Sticking by the schedule gives you enough practice time to ingrain the changes, but not too much time in between to where you start to adjust things on your own before you've gotten to the lesson that addresses that section.

I have to be honest, it's been really tough for me to stick with just watching the white track and staying out of the blue and also not skipping to the Impact Zone and Driving lessons, since those are my two weaknesses. I'm trying to stick to the program exactly as written to see how much benefit there is for the average high handicapper.

Ok. I work four straight days a week from 9 am to 8 pm so I wouldn't be able to get to the range those days. I want it because I can't get lessons but don't wanna spend the cash if it won't help that much if I can't do it in 8 weeks

Ok. I work four straight days a week from 9 am to 8 pm so I wouldn't be able to get to the range those days. I want it because I can't get lessons but don't wanna spend the cash if it won't help that much if I can't do it in 8 weeks

Like I said, I'm sure that you would get something out of it, but you could always buy a few birdie balls and do a lot of the practice before work out in the yard or a field somewhere. I thought it was time consuming, but then I thought about a few years back when I was going to the gym while working crazy schedules, so I was sure that if I absolutely wanted to, I could find the time to make this happen. I'm sure the birdie ball or other reduced flight balls would work well for those days when you can't get to the range. 45 minutes isn't that long, as long as you have a little daylight to work with.

Like I said, I'm sure that you would get something out of it, but you could always buy a few birdie balls and do a lot of the practice before work out in the yard or a field somewhere. I thought it was time consuming, but then I thought about a few years back when I was going to the gym while working crazy schedules, so I was sure that if I absolutely wanted to, I could find the time to make this happen. I'm sure the birdie ball or other reduced flight balls would work well for those days when you can't get to the range. 45 minutes isn't that long, as long as you have a little daylight to work with.

I saw something about birdie balls but wasn't sure exactly what they were. I think I am gonna get it. I could always go in the am before work. Thanks for the information

I saw something about birdie balls but wasn't sure exactly what they were. I think I am gonna get it. I could always go in the am before work. Thanks for the information

The logo overrun setup is a good deal. They really do react like a typical golf ball, just reduced flight. It feels a little odd to hit something that's not round at first, but they do fly true.

http://www.birdieball.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=17

I took the plunge and purchased the program. Im really looking forward to getting started. Monday can't get here fast enough

Nice first post James. The addition of the bag and alignment sticks is nice. I'm curious about this. Definitely wonder how it will work without the benefit of feedback that you'd get from an instructor.

I'm really late to this James, forgive me. I am wonder the same thing. Imm100% sure the DVDs are chalk full of wisdom. But with an extra set of eyes I wonder how far one gets.

I'm really late to this James, forgive me. I am wonder the same thing. Imm100% sure the DVDs are chalk full of wisdom. But with an extra set of eyes I wonder how far one gets.

It's a great point Freddie, replicating things and following steps are one thing, but sometimes another set of eyes are the only way to make sure one is truly on task.

I will say this, looking through the materials it is a lot of what I would call fundamentals, things like posture, position, aim, grip, stance, takeaway, pivot, etc. No truly major mechanics that I have seen so far and perhaps that's the beauty of it? I'm not sure just yet myself.

I've done the first session today and am doing the range session tomorrow and will have some thoughts about it then I'm sure.

I took the plunge and purchased the program. Im really looking forward to getting started. Monday can't get here fast enough

I hear you. Mine should be here Friday and I'm looking forward to the weekend and getting started.

Took the Impact Zone, Lesson #3 tonight. During the lesson, it was immediately evident that I had a few faults in my take away. I was taking the club too far inside and I was rolling my lead wrist instead of hinging. Until now, I would have never known that and neither of my instructors before this had ever pointed it out. This was causing me to have the face open at P1 (90* back). I was also able to identify that I was not straightening both arms after impact, I was leaving my right elbow bent. I guess that's a common problem because it was pointed out on the video.

So tomorrow's practice session has given me a good idea on how to practice and improve the bottom of the swing and what I should be looking for. Let's just say it's a few 9-3 drills at various speeds using the 2 tee drill, which helps you focus on driving down through the ball and taking your divot after the ball. It should be interesting, since this is a weak part of my game.

As for not having someone watch you, so far through the lessons, it hasn't been a big problem up to now. Even with the Impact Zone and using the alignment rods, it's pretty easy to see when your initial take away is inside or outside the line. That may change as we work up to the full swing, but I have my old golf pro buddy on standby for some viewing just in case.

I am looking to purchase this as i am a high single digit handicap, but the past year has been the worst ballstriking of my life. I have seen pros and one tells me my swing is fine just need to check my lines. I have done this but it still havent seen the results i want. After going on the website I see there are 2 different models. Does anyone know the difference in the 2. The only things I can tell are the alignment aids and the impact bag. I already have alignment aids and can buy a impact bag for $15. I just dont see the necesssity to spend an extra $50 for these. Can anyone tell me if there is something else that the pro edition includes that would make it worth the extra $50. thanks

I think it comes with a 100 page book too, but I am not certain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

After following this thread for few days I decided to take the plunge too. Seems good value to me, especially when compared to cost of the golf lessons. Now I've got to wait for it to get here down in New Zealand. They don't ship directly so has to go through a mail forwarding service.., :angry:

Well, after the 1st three lessons, I went out today for 18 holes down in Myrtle Beach with a buddy and did a check on my game. I played a course that I have never played before in the rain and ended up carding a 48/44 overall - 92. I hit all 7 fairways on the front 9, my ball striking was vastly improved, although my distances have changed with the new grip, posture and alignment, and add in the rain. My chipping was horrible on the front 9, which really killed my score but I was more comfortable on the back 9 with it and I haven't even done the chipping lesson yet. My putting pace was excellent all day, which is typically what I struggle with the most. Now I just need to learn to read the greens.

So far, I see the improvement already because I've stuck with the program. Although I'm only through the basic lessons, I've learned much more than I thought I would up to this point.

Tomorrow is Lesson #4: Chipping and since this is another very weak point in my game, I'm interested to see if it makes as large of a difference as the putting lesson did for me.

Back