Cleveland classic XL fairway shaft???

Geoff

Reaction score
Handicap
So I have had this fairway wood for a while now, I got the 15.5 degree 3w. For the life of me I just can not get along with the shaft at all, whether it is too light or too long I don't know. Now I was looking to grab a pull of a Miyazaki or something to throw in it. I have the classic 310 tour driver and I love the kusala 61s that is in that, feel is awesome and is def a great shaft. So my question is, who has this club and what shaft did you go with, did you just go stock or upgrade? I was thinking of going heavier and shorter.
Ok a little about my swing so you guys can give me some recommendations. Driver swing speed is low 90s, smooth transition, and I'm a swinger rather than a hitter. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance for all the recommendations.
And as a side note I would like to keep the same launch conditions as the stock shaft, just looking to increase feel and go heavier.

So you like the higher flight the Matrix Ozik is giving you?

I would like to stick with Miyazaki. Was thinking the kusala blue for the higher launch. I get a mid/low flight with the kusala black on my classic 310, the reason I went with 10.5 loft.

I would like to stick with Miyazaki. Was thinking the kusala blue for the higher launch. I get a mid/low flight with the kusala black on my classic 310, the reason I went with 10.5 loft.
I think the Blue would be a pretty good pairing for you then. Still give you a mid-high flight, but will give you that added weight you are looking for.

Before I see an answer for my former question, I'll say that I went Miyazaki B.Asha 7x. It's low torque, lower spin, and absolutely perfect for me.

That said, with a SS in the low 90s, and the inclination to get launch with tons of 'feel' in there (as well as sticking with miyazaki), I would probably suggest you slide down the Kusala spectrum from your driver. The Kusala white can be had in 72 grams in stiff, with an IFC of 4631 which should really promote quality launch for you (defined as high launch). If that's not stiff enough, consider the Kusala Silver 72s with an IFC of 5633 (defined as mid-high launch).

Both shafts have a stiffer butt section that will promote solid feedback without feeling overly whippy or soft, yet offer that nice tip softness that will promote launch.

Also, I play mine at 42.5 which is something I've done for quite a few years, and I love it there. I don't see a real need to play woods longer than that.

So you like the higher flight the Matrix Ozik is giving you?
I am weary of putting a low launch shaft in this due to the size of the face, unless people are having luck with it. This is why I am asking, cause I see a lot of people went with the B. asha shaft or other Miyazaki upgrades.

I am weary of putting a low launch shaft in this due to the size of the face, unless people are having luck with it. This is why I am asking, cause I see a lot of people went with the B. asha shaft or other Miyazaki upgrades.
I have the Kusala Blue on the CG Black 3W, and it gives me a nice mid flight (I am a low ball hitter).

If you want to add weight, but not lose that higher flight, then take a look at the Kusala Silver or Kusala White. Both promote a higher ball flight, while offering a slightly heavier weight than the stock option.

I have the Kusala Blue on the CG Black 3W, and it gives me a nice mid flight (I am a low ball hitter).

If you want to add weight, but not lose that higher flight, then take a look at the Kusala Silver or Kusala White. Both promote a higher ball flight, while offering a slightly heavier weight than the stock option.

Definitely agreed. Adding weight and dropping to a higher launching Kusala is a great move to make.

So I see that most of you went with the B asha, how is that shaft? Flex code? I would like to have something soft butt stiff mid responsive tip to get some sort of height out of this, low ball hitter myself.

Definitely agreed. Adding weight and dropping to a higher launching Kusala is a great move to make.
For people other than me.

But, I agree. I think the Silver or White is the ticket here. It will give him the stability he is looking for, but will keep that higher flight he has liked about the stock shaft.

So I see that most of you went with the B asha, how is that shaft? Flex code? I would like to have something soft butt stiff mid responsive tip to get some sort of height out of this, low ball hitter myself.
What is your miss/issue with the stock shaft?

Many of the signatures and threads relate to Morgan Cup participants, who selected our Morgan Cup clubs based on a couple of options given. The Kusala line was not on that list.

The B.Asha line itself is really really good. But when you talk about a lower 90s swing speed, I don't think going heavier is going to allow you to accomplish the higher flighting you are looking for. The 7s in particular weighs in at 75g raw (which is probably closer to 72 butt trimmed), however it has an IFC of 5674. That is stiffer than your Kusala black, with the exception of the bottom quarter.

What is your miss/issue with the stock shaft?
I just can't feel the club head through the swing, overall I can't feel it load. Don't know if it's me or what, just don't like the feel, and I love the feel of my driver that's why I wanted to go Miyazaki.

Many of the signatures and threads relate to Morgan Cup participants, who selected our Morgan Cup clubs based on a couple of options given. The Kusala line was not on that list.

The B.Asha line itself is really really good. But when you talk about a lower 90s swing speed, I don't think going heavier is going to allow you to accomplish the higher flighting you are looking for. The 7s in particular weighs in at 75g raw (which is probably closer to 72 butt trimmed), however it has an IFC of 5674. That is stiffer than your Kusala black, with the exception of the bottom quarter.
And if he were to go down to where I am, at the 4S, it would be a similar weight to the stock shaft he is gaming now, but not as high launching.

Ahh I see, yeah probably wouldn't be the best choice for what I'm looking for. Thanks.

And if he were to go down to where I am, at the 4S, it would be a similar weight to the stock shaft he is gaming now, but not as high launching.

Yeah buddy, 6732.. Ultra stable in the hands, loads of loading power. Impressively similar to the Kusala silver at 5633.

So for the kusala series it goes black,blue,white? Low to high?

So for the kusala series it goes black,blue,white? Low to high?
Black, Blue, Indigo, Silver, White.

Low to high.

So does anybody have experience with say the indigo or silver? I don't want to go to the white as I would like to keep it in the mid height range and not moonball height.

Back